Texas Fishing Forum

Big eatable blue gills

Posted By: Going Fishing. How about you?

Big eatable blue gills - 04/21/15 04:55 PM

Can anyone tell me a place Dallas Fort Worth area to catch some this time of Year. creek or pond. Have small jon boat. Thanks
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/21/15 06:40 PM

I'm all ears on this.

LBJ golf course but don't get caught.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/21/15 09:13 PM

"Smithaven",CK Wilson,and "Action Jackson" live in the Dallas area and may be able to help you out more. eeks You may want to PM em. breakdance

Side Note: Here in the South Texas area the Gills are spawning and I am catching em in 3 to 6 feet of water. They are hanging around at the shallow end of docks and over hanging tree limbs. Worms work best for me. hooked Good luck and let us know how you do. Love seeing those Dallas area reports. coolio "Action Jackson" posted a nice bunch of eater size Bluegill this past week. (Refer to his post). thumb
Posted By: ckwilson25

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/21/15 10:02 PM

Try Ray Hubbard by the rocks.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/21/15 11:26 PM

Honestly pretty much any marina you go to will have a few gills...you'll see em swimming in the shallows mostly around a lil brush an under docks! Anywhere close to the rocks is good as well!

Get a small hook an throw a half night crawler on it...let it sink to the bottom, during the fall you'll begin to get a few hits! Bobber technique works just as well! Good luck
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/21/15 11:26 PM

Try Joe Pool. It has a good population of fish up to eight or nine inches. I would caution you that they are still in the deep water due to the heavy cold rain the last few days. I caught only 3 good size fish this morning and they were in 10 feet of water on the bottom. I tried the shallower water where they usually bed up without a single bite.

It has been a while, but I used to catch good fish out of Ray Hubbard. Try the old railroad cut area off Ridge Road. Be careful on Hubbard in a small boat. I nearly drowned myself a couple of times when the wind got up.

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/22/15 01:03 AM

Thanks for the help.

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/22/15 01:05 AM

They should be in creeks of joe pool in a week or so, I would thinks. what area you think?
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/22/15 01:29 AM

Hey guys. I have caught some big blue gills over the years and I understand some people eat them, But I am stumped on the cleaning and cooking, Do you flay the way you would a sand bass.?? I'm wondering about the the flavor, are they good tasting.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/22/15 02:24 AM

Darrell,

Yes they are great eating.

Easiest way is to scale, gut and remove the head and fins, then coat with seasoned cornmeal, then fry in oil. I never bothered trying to fillet them. They are pretty much all muscle/meat - It's no wonder they fight so aggressively.

Scott in Flower Mound
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Big eatable blue gills - 04/22/15 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound
Darrell,

Yes they are great eating.

Easiest way is to scale, gut and remove the head and fins, then coat with seasoned cornmeal, then fry in oil. I never bothered trying to fillet them. They are pretty much all muscle/meat - It's no wonder they fight so aggressively.

Scott in Flower Mound

Just as stated above on cleaning and cooking. Scale,gut,and cut off the heads. I spread mustard on em and then dip em in fish fry (Louisiana Style Fish Fry). They are GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! food
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum