Texas Fishing Forum

Panfish help

Posted By: daleche21

Panfish help - 04/18/15 10:47 PM

While sight fishing for bass the last couple of weeks I keep coming across huge panfish on beds. Been thinking about catching some for dinner, not super experienced with panfishing though. Just use worms with a canepole? Or what do y'all suggest? Ty for the info
Posted By: mwrose777

Re: Panfish help - 04/18/15 11:15 PM

For big sunnies on beds, my goto fly is a jointed minnow pattern in sunfish color. So if you have any small lure in a sunfish color maybe try it.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 12:39 AM

Half night crawler on any small hook an get ready for the fun! I've saw videos of big gills being caught on crickets so you may wana try those too!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: mwrose777
For big sunnies on beds, my goto fly is a jointed minnow pattern in sunfish color. So if you have any small lure in a sunfish color maybe try it.

Can you post a picture of this?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 02:39 AM

Texas rig a night crawler on a size 6 or 8 cricket hook and pitch on or by the nest. Wait patiently moving the worm very little. hooked
Posted By: daleche21

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 04:02 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info guys

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 02:00 PM

I-Moe, sent you a PM, but in case anybody else is interested:
http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=32

Tied them for bass on beds but they surprised me how well they worked on spawning sunnies.
Posted By: jrbb00

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 02:20 PM

Nice fish

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 02:57 PM

Thanks, I do want to note that due to hook size, you'll only be able to catch the bigger sunnies. But when you can pick and choose by sight casting, why fish for the smaller ones?
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 03:07 PM

Try my Texas Sunfish blog for hints on catching bluegills.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Panfish help - 04/19/15 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Try my Texas Sunfish blog for hints on catching bluegills.

Enjoyed your blog. Nicely done. Good information.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Panfish help - 04/21/15 08:51 PM

mwrose777 that is one beautifull fish , nice cath.

Re: Panfish help - 04/21/15 09:33 PM

Thanks! My best out of that pond to date.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Panfish help - 04/22/15 04:32 AM

"Daleche21": I would buy an ultra light combo rig. You can get a good Shakespeare UL combo rig at Acadamey for about $15.00. Put some six pound test line on it along with a size six cricket hook and a size five shot and you will be good to go. Keep a carton of night crawlers handy. When the Bass are hard to find you can always switch to your ultra light rig for some Gill Action. hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Panfish help - 04/22/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
"Daleche21": I would buy an ultra light combo rig. You can get a good Shakespeare UL combo rig at Acadamey for about $15.00. Put some six pound test line on it along with a size six cricket hook and a size five shot and you will be good to go. Keep a carton of night crawlers handy. When the Bass are hard to find you can always switch to your ultra light rig for some Gill Action. hooked

Plus #1.

Side Note: If you try artificial use small spinner baits like Rooster Tails and small crank baits. woot
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Panfish help - 04/25/15 04:09 AM

My favorite is the Tiny Size zoom brush hog in watermelon red.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum