Texas Fishing Forum

Early Spring Creek Longear!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/13/15 09:27 PM

Fished a local creek and the Longear were in a playful mood. The creek flow was excellent and the creek was in very good condition. Fished the end of currents and caught a bunch of hungry Longear. Fished from 11am till 3pm and caught over thirty Longear. Several small bass,a few Redbreast,and a few fat Bluegill rounded out the catch. All fish were caught using worms on ultra light tackle. Bottom techniques were used. The water was stained and clear in some spots. If this is any indication of the upcoming bite,April should be very, very good. Early Spring Longear fishing. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: ckwilson25

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/13/15 11:01 PM

Some pretty fish Chuck! Glad you had a good day. fish

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/13/15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ckwilson25
Some pretty fish Chuck! Glad you had a good day. fish

Thanks CK! Catching creek Longear makes the day a whole lot better! hooked
Posted By: Fishing_4_Life

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/13/15 11:52 PM

Very nice! woot
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/14/15 02:02 AM

It's good to hear creeks are in good shape, DFW has been saturated the last couple weeks. I know lakes are rising and creeks flowing. Nice to see some Longear being caught already, but may be a few weeks before that happens here.

I think this could be a good summer water wise and El Nino may really be showing up to help us out.
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/14/15 03:40 AM

Nice catching, Chuck. May get a break in the rain on Monday. Hope to get out and wet a line.

Bob
clap

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/14/15 05:12 AM

Thanks "Fishing_4_Life",Andrew,and Bob for the replies. Andrew: Yes Sir looks like a good sunfish season awaits. Hopefully we will see a lot of catches this year. Looking forward to it. thumb Bob: Hopefully you will get the chance to wet a line. Nothing beats being in the outdoors with a line in the water. Catching fish is icing on the cake. cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/15/15 11:07 AM

It's Longear time in the creeks. Nice fish. Looks like that creek is in very good shape. Can't wait until the Longear really start showing off their colors.

Side Note: Is March through May the best time of the year to catch Longear? Also is this the time of year when they really start showing off their colors?
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/15/15 02:51 PM

Now that looks like a great experience. I have never fished for Longear in the creeks before, only in ponds. Thanks for sharing all these scenic locations and stories Chuck!! thumb
Posted By: metalmike

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/15/15 08:14 PM

Awesome banker,gonna try me a little creek fishing this week......(weather permitting)
Posted By: drrouter

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/15/15 11:17 PM

Nice looking LE's.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/16/15 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
It's Longear time in the creeks. Nice fish. Looks like that creek is in very good shape. Can't wait until the Longear really start showing off their colors.

Side Note: Is March through May the best time of the year to catch Longear? Also is this the time of year when they really start showing off their colors?

I would say Late March thru June is when the colors are at their finest from the Brazos to down south. The best time to catch Longear is normally from Late spring to right before the peak of Summer because that is the time when the current is most consistent and desirable. After that good current will gradually become more difficult to come by most years thruout most of TX

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/20/15 02:49 PM

Yes Sir they will really be showing off those bright red/orange colors. coolio Thanks guys for the replies. cheers

Side Note: "Gitter": I have always caught my bigger Longear from March through Mid May. eeks They bite year around but seems to me the bigger ones are caught during those months. Just my two cents. 2cents It will also depend on where you are fishing. hmmm Jamie: The creeks down here are loaded with em. dance2 Mike: Looking forward to seeing some catches. rockon
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/21/15 08:17 PM

Looks like that Creek is in great shape. Also love the Longear. The Longear bite should be super good the next few weeks. woot

Side Note: Be careful fishing the creeks. Snakes are on the move and also there are some very slippery creek banks. Stay safe. Chuck: Is that the Cibolo?

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/25/15 05:26 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Great tips for sure. Snakes,slippery banks,hornets nest,fire ant hills,and oh yea poison ivy and poison spiders. bang nuts whip hung

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/26/15 04:15 PM

It's getting that time of year to "WATCH OUT"! Saw my first snake of the season the other day fishing a creek channel on Mcqueeney. It was a water snake.

Side Note: Are you catching any Longear on the Comal? I noticed you are getting some nice Bass. woot

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 03/30/15 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
It's getting that time of year to "WATCH OUT"! Saw my first snake of the season the other day fishing a creek channel on Mcqueeney. It was a water snake.

Side Note: Are you catching any Longear on the Comal? I noticed you are getting some nice Bass. woot

You are right Curtis. eeks Snakes are out! Have not seen any yet but it's only a matter of time. nuts

As for Longear on the Comal. hmmm I have caught a few not many. eeks I have caught a lot of Red/Orange Spotted. coolio

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/01/15 02:14 PM

Fished the Comal this past weekend. Caught some nice Redbreast and a couple of nice fat bass. Gonna be a super year. woot

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/05/15 05:10 AM

Yes Sir Curtis. So far it has been a GREAT spring! hooked

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/09/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Yes Sir they will really be showing off those bright red/orange colors. coolio Thanks guys for the replies. cheers

Side Note: "Gitter": I have always caught my bigger Longear from March through Mid May. eeks They bite year around but seems to me the bigger ones are caught during those months. Just my two cents. 2cents It will also depend on where you are fishing. hmmm Jamie: The creeks down here are loaded with em. dance2 Mike: Looking forward to seeing some catches. rockon

Thanks!

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/12/15 05:42 AM

thumb

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/16/15 01:21 PM

Will all of this latest rain effect the bite on these creeks? I would think that all of the fish sitting on beds would be washed down the creeks and rivers. How soon after a major rain do creeks get back to normal?

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/20/15 11:52 AM

Once the water subsides and the creek gets back to normal the bite will follow. The fish will simply make new nest if necessary. Just what I have experienced over the years. 2cents
Posted By: jagg

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/24/15 07:30 AM

Yeah, Chucks right. With all the rain yall been getting, most of the creeks and other riverine areas is gonna be a bit rearranged. Gonna have to learn em all over again.

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/27/15 02:44 PM

We got another 2" early this morning. thumb Mike said the Cibolo was really flowing in the area where he lives. coolio
Posted By: Jon

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 04/27/15 08:41 PM

Cool report Banker!

regarding the colors - I think the male longear in full on spawning colors is about the prettiest sunfish we have in Texas. Those little guys put up a heck of fight too.

Re: Early Spring Creek Longear! - 05/01/15 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Jon
Cool report Banker!

regarding the colors - I think the male longear in full on spawning colors is about the prettiest sunfish we have in Texas. Those little guys put up a heck of fight too.

Thanks Jon for the reply. cheers Yes Sir to are 100 percent right about both the colors and the fight. coolio They can give an ultralight and flyrod a workout. duel
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum