Texas Fishing Forum

A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up)

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/10/15 10:04 PM

Myself and Mike "USMC_GY" fished the Salado Creek on our way home from a South Texas scouting adventure the other day. We fished from 2pm till 4pm and the bite was good. Caught a bunch of nice Redbreast in the 7 and 8 inch range. Also some nice Bluegill in the 7 and 8 inch range were caught. Rounding out the catch were a few small bass. The creek where we were at is in very good shape. The bite is only going to get better. Fish were caught on worms and small jigs. Fish were in 2 to 5 feet of water. Float and bottom techniques were used and all fish were released to fight again.Prior to fishing the Salado we had a GREAT LUNCH at Tom's Burgers located at IH 37 and Dunlop Road in San Antonio. Early season creek fishing. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/10/15 10:39 PM

Nice going Chuck & Mike!

Redbreast are a really cool fish, love how they look.

I have only caught a few and never one in Dallas, but all were on topwater with a fly. They were in pure attack mode and boiled as soon as the fly hit the water. Awesome

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/10/15 11:00 PM

Thanks Andrew. cheers You are going to have to make some time and come down here a get a few. Looks like a SUPER spring and summer is ahead of us! rockon

The Sunfish will really be showing off their colors the next few weeks. coolio
Posted By: Bob9

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/10/15 11:16 PM

Good looking fish, Chuck & Mike. One of these days, I need to hookup with you guys.

Bob
thumb

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob9
Good looking fish, Chuck & Mike. One of these days, I need to hookup with you guys.

Bob
thumb

Invite is always open Bob. Thanks for the reply! cheers
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 12:10 AM

What kind of small jigs did you use if you don't mind me asking.
I generally break out my fly rod to target gills and I've managed a few on small cranks but rarely throw jigs.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 12:37 AM

"FWBanger" We were using the Berkley Micros and the Strike King Crappie Thunders 1 3/4". thumb Blue white for the micros and Chartreuse/black for the Crappie Thunders. Both worked like champs. hooked
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 01:32 AM

Great job guys!!! I've never fished for them with small jigs. I bet that's fun. Add another fishing hole to my list of places you have to take me, LOL!!

I fly fished today. Only caught one hybrid sunfish. But I caught 9 bass. The small bass started biting a few days ago and they kept biting right through the cold front. That's a great sign and I expect the sunfish will be following suit within a week or so.
Posted By: ckwilson25

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 02:14 AM

And that's how you do it! rockon

Did the scouting trip turn up blank?

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 06:02 AM

Thanks Jamie and CK for the replies! cheers Jamie: The Sunfish bite will be getting better each day. Looks like a GREAT YEAR is shaping up! All of my fishing spots are looking good. coolio CK: The scouting trip was good in that we found some good spots for some shallow Crappie Fishing during their spawn. hmmm It was to cold that day for the fish to be in shallow water! eeks To answer your question we did not catch a fish. bang The Salado Creek came through for us! clap clap
Posted By: Peytonator

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/11/15 12:01 PM

Great going y'all! I especially like those Redbreast, I need to get out to the Hill Country this year and catch some. I hope to finally do some fishing just by me on Friday.
Posted By: Fishing_4_Life

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Peytonator
Great going y'all! I especially like those Redbreast, I need to get out to the Hill Country this year and catch some. I hope to finally do some fishing just by me on Friday.

Did you know that Redbreast arent restricted to the Hill Country? I used to think they were I had never caught one, only knew of them, until I caught some last year from some creeks out East. What city do you live in?

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishing_4_Life

Did you know that Redbreast arent restricted to the Hill Country? I used to think they were I had never caught one, only knew of them, until I caught some last year from some creeks out East. What city do you live in?

The only other place I have caught them was in a creek/river near Glen Rose TX. May have been the tail out of Wheeler Branch

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Great job guys!!! I've never fished for them with small jigs. I bet that's fun. Add another fishing hole to my list of places you have to take me, LOL!!

I fly fished today. Only caught one hybrid sunfish. But I caught 9 bass. The small bass started biting a few days ago and they kept biting right through the cold front. That's a great sign and I expect the sunfish will be following suit within a week or so.

NO PICTURES! bang hammer

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Dfitz

The only other place I have caught them was in a creek/river near Glen Rose TX. May have been the tail out of Wheeler Branch

I have caught them in Montgomery County and San Jacinto County so far. I freaked out the first time I caught one since I had only heard of them and saw pictures online lol. I caught a 9 and a half incher too, blew my mind. I just read about Wheeler Branch this week. Never knew of it. I plan on trying to fish that lake to catch Walley because TPWD stocks it with them every year and Ive never caught any since there are such few places to catch them in Texas.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:38 AM

IIRC looking at Lake Records for particular East Texas lakes awhile back I saw some had Redbreasts listed, thought it might've been a mistake or something. I don't recall ever really hearing about them being caught out there but I'm not saying I don't believe they're there. That's cool though, wish I had 'em by me. I live in Katy. Mostly just stocked ponds by me, for a variety I go to Mason Creek. It's connected to Buffalo Bayou so there's all kinds of [censored] in there. That's where I catch Rios, Longear, Greens, etc. Where out east have you caught Redbreasts?

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:50 AM

Heres a redbreast from The Pedernales, her first sunfish on the fly

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:55 AM

IIRC looking at Lake Records for particular East Texas lakes awhile back I saw some had Redbreasts listed, thought it might've been a mistake or something. I don't recall ever really hearing about them being caught out there but I'm not saying I don't believe they're there. That's cool though, wish I had 'em by me. I live in Katy. Mostly just stocked ponds by me, for a variety I go to Mason Creek. It's connected to Buffalo Bayou so there's all kinds of [censored] in there. That's where I catch Rios, Longear, Greens, etc. Where out east have you caught Redbreasts?

I just caught my first Rio two years ago and only a few since then. I thought they were restristed to Hill Country as well until I heard that Houston has them in their creeks and bayous, so I definitely plan on trying to catch some this year. But I know Im gonna have to go down to catch them from those beautiful creeks they have over there. A place called Big Creek has them, by Shepherd. Kind of a ways but if they are there, then for sure they are in other creeks in the East too!

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Dfitz
Heres a redbreast from The Pedernales, her first sunfish on the fly

Nice thumb I need to learn how to fly fish, I have the rod just not the experience! Ive heard the Redbreast really love top water lures.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 01:32 AM

Peytonator, you might try the Brazos River. They are suppose to be in there I believe.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 01:57 AM

Peytonator, you might try the Brazos River. They are suppose to be in there I believe.

It's worth a shot for sure.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 01:59 AM

I just caught my first Rio two years ago and only a few since then. I thought they were restristed to Hill Country as well until I heard that Houston has them in their creeks and bayous, so I definitely plan on trying to catch some this year. But I know Im gonna have to go down to catch them from those beautiful creeks they have over there. A place called Big Creek has them, by Shepherd. Kind of a ways but if they are there, then for sure they are in other creeks in the East too!

I see a Big Creek Scenic Area on Google Maps but it looks like the closest water body is Livingston.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 02:46 AM

I see a Big Creek Scenic Area on Google Maps but it looks like the closest water body is Livingston.

I dont know about a scenic area. I just know about a creek that crosses the road in a few places over there called Big Creek. I just normally stop on the side of the road and fish.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 04:17 AM

I use to have a Redbreast in my aquarium but I got rid of it cause it was very aggressive toward my other fish.

Posted By: jagg

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/12/15 10:28 PM

Spring Creek by Humble has Redbreasts,too.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/16/15 08:12 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. Redbreast love clear water. Usually clear water rivers,lakes,and streams are good.According to Parks&Wildlife they can be found in East,West,and Central Texas which includes the Hill Country. Don't know about North or deep South Texas. hmmm
Posted By: keebranch

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/17/15 04:19 PM

As mentioned earlier, the Brazos upstream from Waco has some large Redbreasts in abundance. Near Spivey's crossing, I taken some on a fly that have exceeded 10". These fish are some of my favorites, as they fight for their lives...

Les

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/18/15 12:18 AM

Thanks for the info Les! Sounds awesome! If I ever make it up that way I might try to fish that area! cheers

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/22/15 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: keebranch
As mentioned earlier, the Brazos upstream from Waco has some large Redbreasts in abundance. Near Spivey's crossing, I taken some on a fly that have exceeded 10". These fish are some of my favorites, as they fight for their lives...

Les

I have always wanted to fish the Brazos. Hopefully this summer. fish
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/24/15 05:00 PM

Love those Salado Creek reports. Nice ones Guys. Have to checked out your spot behind Ft.Sam?

Side Note: Tom's Burgers is the BEST!

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 03/28/15 12:18 PM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply. cheers I have not checked out that spot. Need to do that. I may drive out there to check it this up coming week. hmmm

Side Note: Tom's is the BEST! food
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/01/15 02:12 PM

Nice fish guys. Love fishing the Salado and plan on fishing it soon. woot

Side Note: Was riding the green way and saw several very nice deep pockets along the way. Have you fished the Rigsby Road area of the creek?

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/05/15 05:07 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers I have never fished that area before but I have seen some spots that looked pretty good. Hope to give em a try! hmmm
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/09/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks "Gitter" for the reply. cheers I have not checked out that spot. Need to do that. I may drive out there to check it this up coming week. hmmm

Side Note: Tom's is the BEST! food

Got to love Toms! food

Side Note: I heard the well has been turned back on! Don't know for sure something I heard third party.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/12/15 05:41 AM

Fished that spot this past week. Creek had very good flow. Even saw a 10 plus pound carp swimming around which was a super sign. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/15/15 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Nice fish guys. Love fishing the Salado and plan on fishing it soon. woot

Side Note: Was riding the green way and saw several very nice deep pockets along the way. Have you fished the Rigsby Road area of the creek?

Hope to give it a try soon. There is a lot of heavy weed and vegetation cover. Be careful where you step. eeks
Posted By: jagg

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/16/15 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Fished that spot this past week. Creek had very good flow. Even saw a 10 plus pound carp swimming around which was a super sign. thumb

Caught some nice bonus Flatheads in Salado. Talk about a surprise and testing the equipment! Of course the jig/hook/lure is completely done for after that.

Re: A nice bite on the Salado Creek! ( Creek bite picking up) - 04/19/15 05:14 AM

That creek holds some amazing fish! eeks Seen some big ones swimming in some of those deeper holes over the years. coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum