Texas Fishing Forum

Lost My Man Card?

Posted By: Urban Fisher

Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 05:28 PM

Well as some of you may know, I fish out of little boats I build. With this Texas heat it's hard to spend hours out on the water. I looked at and thought about different ways to add a canopy to my little boats. I saw and had ideas for a pvc structure with a tarp covering. Only problem, they were rather balky and could not be removed easily when on the water (if the wind picks up).

Then one day at Academy I saw these soccer mom, clamp-on-lawn chair umbrellas. That's perfect I thought!! I use a lawn chair as a seat and this thing should clamp on there perfect! There is just one small pole (behind me) that holds it up so it doesn't impede on paddling or fishing. It folds easily if the wind picks up and it has a simple button to remove it all together if needed (while on the water). It's light in weight, easy to stash and makes for great shade while out on my boats. And the best part...it only cost $5.00!!!

Only down side is that my buddies laugh at me and say the thing cost me my man card! I just think they are jealous of my new found boating comfort! smile

What do you guys think?

Posted By: TuN3R

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 05:35 PM

lmao always into something interesting haha ! btw where is that water body at dunlap ?
Posted By: go..fish

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 05:46 PM

Your Buddies are just Jealous ! Hey , that umbrella could double as a Sail. haha.

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 05:46 PM

LOL...Thanks Tuner!! Yeah that is the stretch between Cypress Bend Park down river to the I-35 boat ramp. I like that trip because I can say I fished three bodies of water in one trip...Dunlap, Guadalupe River and the Comal.

Let me know when you have some free time, we need to hook up again soon! (by the way...aren't you in NY getting married?)

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: go..fish
Your Buddies are just Jealous ! Hey , that umbrella could double as a Sail. haha.

Hey, you aren't far off!!! I collapse it when paddling against the wind, but man it makes the downwind trip a breeze...literally!!! smile

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Urban Fisher
LOL...Thanks Tuner!! Yeah that is the stretch between Cypress Bend Park down river to the I-35 boat ramp. I like that trip because I can say I fished three bodies of water in one trip...Dunlap, Guadalupe River and the Comal.

Let me know when you have some free time, we need to hook up again soon! (by the way...aren't you in NY getting married?)

Heading to airport in a while smile Will be back on 20th. We are planning Fishfry/BBQ sometimes around august again . Also ye we will organize a small kayak/canoe fishing time since lot of folks on site want to do that as well .
Posted By: Mitch_Ray

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 06:35 PM

That's one of my favorite stretches too. I hope to see the SS Comfortbrella out there soon...and your buddies clearly with they'd thought of this first.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 07:11 PM

SS MINNOW... thumb Put a trolling motor on it!

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: banderapass1
SS MINNOW... thumb Put a trolling motor on it!

LOL...already thought of that! They say necessity is the mother of invention...No, to me laziness is the mother of invention!!

Posted By: craigo

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 08:30 PM

Any boat you build yourself, does not fill up with water, and you can catch fish from it... in my book that earns you a man card umbrella or not! And by the way, that little boat with the trolling motor on it, I'm pretty sure you could ski behind it!
Posted By: Cloud Dancer

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 08:36 PM

....da man!
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 09:21 PM

As long as you keep it a manly color, I think your o.k . Love that boat.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/01/13 09:25 PM

Yeah Buddy!!Now That's what I'm talkin about!! flehan
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: go..fish

Love that idea! thumb

Side Note: Keep the shade.coolio Who cares about a Man Card when it was 108 degrees this past Saturday. flame
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 05:45 AM

Nice Rig "Urban". rockon
Posted By: ckwilson25

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 08:53 AM

Where there in simplicity, there is intelligence... cheers
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 12:37 PM

nice little boat
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 01:33 PM

Love your boats "Urban Fisher". Smart move on the umbrella.
Posted By: Aquatic Ash

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 03:52 PM

Your intelligence level just up'd your Man Card to Platinium Man Card status!!
You should equip some battery operated fans. Maybe ones that spray mist as well lol.
Good to hear from you.
Posted By: Txpitdog

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 04:14 PM

Maybe get a Dale Earnhardt commemorative umbrella then you can claim pure redneck genius!

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/02/13 04:19 PM

Thanks everyone...you made me feel much better! smile

I have had the fishing passion since I was a small boy. After 40+ years of fishing I like to think I have become a pretty confident fisherman. I can cast a fly rod as well as I can cast any spinning rod or bait caster. I fish small creeks to the open ocean and everything in between. I have tied my own flies, built my own rods and fish out of boats I built myself.

So...I was kinda hard to take when my buddies started calling me...The Mary Poppins Yakker!!!...LOL

And side note...Ash it's great to see your still around. Good to hear from you! Thanks for your kind words! smile I haven't thought about the fans, but that is a GREAT idea. My next project is to rig it with speakers that run through my IPhone! Nothing like sunfishing in a comfortable little boat jamming out to some Pandora!!! rock
Posted By: Aquatic Ash

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/03/13 01:11 AM

I'm still around catching fatties. Fishing local lakes, doing my thang.
I got a new Wilderness Commander. Kent won 1st place in KBF so we got hooked up.
I just got done doing a national tourney with a sunfish division won 1st for sunfish! Representin'!!!
Take care
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/03/13 01:40 AM

Rock on UF!
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/03/13 04:45 AM

I have an umbrella ....
I aint lost my man kard ....
I think u b ok ....
Posted By: flybug

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/03/13 01:13 PM

don't mind your friends they just be jealous they didnt think of it sooner, its a great idea especially since after this front is through I think we are going to cook (prediction based on mild winter) as it is I'm still trying to figure out how to do something similar with my float tube
Posted By: cellis

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/04/13 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Txpitdog
Maybe get a Dale Earnhardt commemorative umbrella then you can claim pure redneck genius!

cheers
Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/05/13 12:45 AM

Your boats are so awesome you don't have anything to worry about.

Hope you've been doing well. I'm back in town and not "running around like a chicken with a missing head busy" nowadays. Last week was my first time on the forum since February. We are gonna have to get another Canyon/ Guad trip put together soon. Hope everyone has been good as of late.

BTW...they have a sale on Justin Beiber umbrellas at Walmart. LOL...J/k
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/06/13 09:57 PM

Is it Hobie PA 7 ?

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/08/13 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: cypher_orange

Hope you've been doing well. I'm back in town and not "running around like a chicken with a missing head busy" nowadays. Last week was my first time on the forum since February. We are gonna have to get another Canyon/ Guad trip put together soon. Hope everyone has been good as of late.

Hey Cypher!!! Great to hear from you! Man I have had all kinds of plans for camping on that land of yours and the only thing I am missing...is your permission!!!...LOL

Hope your dad is doing ok. We need to hook up again and plan some future fishing adventures!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/08/13 09:03 PM

Dude, I think that gives you a gold plated man card...you got to have Nads, to even go there!!! Cool little boat, BTW.
Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/20/13 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: cypher_orange

Hey Cypher!!! Great to hear from you! Man I have had all kinds of plans for camping on that land of yours and the only thing I am missing...is your permission!!!...LOL

Hope your dad is doing ok. We need to hook up again and plan some future fishing adventures!

I've been camping quite a bit lately, but not one day of fishing. Let me know when you wanna come. My last cell phone is somewhere at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, so I lost everyone's numbers.
Posted By: 1st Class Tackle

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/22/13 09:46 PM

Urban I like the umbreall now if it was pink or justin beiber then you definitly loose your man card lol.

Hey Cypher hows it going.

Lets all plan antoher camping trip fishing outing maybe tthe rain will comply this time.

Im in for sure!!!

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/22/13 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 1st Class Tackle
Urban I like the umbreall now if it was pink or justin beiber then you definitly loose your man card lol.

Hey Cypher hows it going.

Lets all plan antoher camping trip fishing outing maybe tthe rain will comply this time.

Im in for sure!!!

Howdy fellas feels good to be back in town again ! Can't wait to get out and reel in some fish smile Hope ya'll are doing pretty good . I am in for the trip as well .
Posted By: ComeFrom?

Re: Lost My Man Card? - 07/22/13 11:07 PM

After this project, you could build a little something for the whole family...

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t663/jechterhoff/bth_redneckyacht_zps58a1664f.jpg?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum