Texas Fishing Forum

A Good Redear Bite !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A Good Redear Bite ! - 11/30/20 11:08 PM

The Redear bite has been great all year and continues to be. With these latest fronts that have blown through and the places where myself and Rick aka Catyaker fish I have a strong feeling that the Redear/Sunfish bite will be slowing down. We have been catching fish in shallow water, in and close by thick grass beds. The fish have been active feeding. Fish have been caught in hill country creeks, ponds, and rivers. Both bottom, drop shot, and float techniques have been used. Worms was the bait of choice. We caught plenty of Trophy Redear in the 10 inch range and even a couple in the 11 inch range. We also have caught a bunch in the 7 to 9 inch range. Only a very few were under the 7 inch mark. All fish were released on most trips but some on other trips were kept for the dinner table. I also was able to catch a few pending water body Redear Records in both the weight and catch & release categories. Having a great Redear year. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/01/20 12:00 AM

Man those are some pretty fish. That top one looks almost like a crappie. Well done Chuck.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/01/20 02:42 AM

Super nice red ear ! Love the 1st 2 pics...all that green behind you may be brown tomorrow after the freeze tonight chill
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/01/20 04:10 AM

Absolutely beautiful fish! Well done, sir.👍👍👍
Posted By: psalty

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/01/20 04:14 AM

Ahoy and well done Mr. Chuck. thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/01/20 02:20 PM

Great job guys!! cheers redear are so pretty!

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/01/20 03:54 PM

Thanks Curt, Steve, Skeeter22, Ken, and Yesenia for the replies. cheers It has been a very good year for Redear! thumb
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/02/20 01:39 AM

Beautiful fish. thumb

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/15/20 11:06 AM

Thanks Barry! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/25/20 09:41 PM

Those are some nice Redear. Good job Guys. How would you rate the Redear bite this year?

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 12/31/20 05:00 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers The 2020 Redear bite has been very good! Plenty of trophy fish and a few records also. thumb
Posted By: t101catfish

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 01/02/21 08:29 AM

do you think the readers eat the zebra mussels?

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 01/07/21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by t101catfish
do you think the readers eat the zebra mussels?

Yes They do. I know anglers who have cleaned Redear on certain water bodies and found them inside their digestive system . Redear also love snails thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 01/12/21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers The 2020 Redear bite has been very good! Plenty of trophy fish and a few records also. thumb

Thanks Chuck. Hope your 2021 is as good as your 2020!

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 01/18/21 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Thanks Chuck. Hope your 2021 is as good as your 2020!

thumb
Posted By: Timberking

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 01/19/21 08:56 PM

I love catching redear but is mainly when its warm. I am living through you for now till the bite turns on at Caddo.

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 01/26/21 11:08 AM

Thanks Timberking for the reply. cheers Love catching those Redear! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 02/06/21 03:59 PM

You guys have had a great 2020 Redear bite all year. Nice fish and congratulations Chuck on yet more records. woot

Side Note: Prediction on the 2021 Redear Bite ! noidea

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 02/11/21 12:06 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers 2021 should be a pretty good year. Hopefully we can get some RAIN both here, hill country, and southwest Texas. Having a wet winter and spring will be good for the water bodies I fish, thus good for the fish, which will equal a good year. We need the RAIN.

Side Note: I have done pretty good during droughts. Blue Holes can be "Gold Mines" for BIG FISH ! hooked
Posted By: boocat

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 02/11/21 02:31 PM

Those guys fry up nice. Found a spot with a good population, need to get back to it.

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 02/14/21 03:00 PM

I agree with you Chuck. We need the rain. So far 2021 is going great for myself, Jeff, and Steve ! woot

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 02/23/21 05:10 AM

Thanks boocat! Yes Sir Redear fry up "MIGHTY GOOD" food Curtis. Hopefully a lot of the snowfall from this last freeze will fill up some of the springs where we fish. Hopefully a wet rest of the winter and a wet spring. banana

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 03/07/21 03:32 PM

Do you think the freeze we had this winter will play a factor in the upcoming Redear bite? noidea

Side Note: Have not caught as many as years past while fishing the spots I do. hmmm

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 03/07/21 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One
Do you think the freeze we had this winter will play a factor in the upcoming Redear bite? noidea

Side Note: Have not caught as many as years past while fishing the spots I do. hmmm

Curtis. Hard to say how much of an effect the freeze will play on this upcoming Redear bite. The creeks are starting to get more active. Catching some Bluegill and a couple of nice Redear. Also seeing a lot of minnows which is a very good sign. I personally think the Redear/sunfish bite will be good this year. The Rio bite is another story. Certain water bodies will have a huge loss of Rios this year. eeks
Posted By: Vogey

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 03/07/21 09:35 PM

It seems the the Red Ear spawn 1st on Fayette...we caught some monsters last week...

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 03/08/21 02:14 PM

Thanks Chuck. I guess we will know more by April or May! coolio

Re: A Good Redear Bite ! - 03/10/21 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vogey
It seems the the Red Ear spawn 1st on Fayette...we caught some monsters last week...

Yes Sir. Seems that Fayette usually get's a quick start on the active bite. Hard to figure the patterns on a power plant lake. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum