Texas Fishing Forum

Best Fighting Sunfish?

Posted By: Laker One

Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/09/18 01:51 PM

Name three of your top fighting sunfish you have caught! boxing
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/09/18 05:01 PM

The best fighting fish in the sunfish family that I have caught are as follows.

#1. Redear: Not only are they the biggest of the sunfish family (Not including bass) they are also the best fighters. Nothing beats a 10 inch plus Redear fight on ultralight tackle. Even the 7 to 9 inch Redear put up a great fight. boxing

#2. Redbreast: Not only do they hit a bait hard they are some super fighters also. duel

#3. Bluegill: Hit baits hard and some super fighters! thumb

Side Note: For their size a Longear puts up a super fight on ultralight tackle. They are also some hard hitters when it comes to attacking a bait! hooked
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/09/18 11:23 PM

I agree with Banker...Red Ear is tops...

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/10/18 12:48 PM

I chose Redear,Bluegill,and Redbreast in that order! woot
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/11/18 12:15 AM

I disagree with everyone so far.

First in my book would be green sunfish, second would be warmouth and everything else tied for third.

I ran a test one year to try to measure "aggressiveness" in sunfish. The test involved making 10 fly casts to 3 different ponds every day for several months. Each pond only held 1) green sunfish 2) coppernose bluegill or 3) native bluegills.

The results weren't even close...the green sunfish was by far the most aggressive.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/11/18 01:20 PM

For me it has to be shellcrackers AKA redear. When I am on Athens I can tell when I hook one because they literally take off. I also think redbreast fight a little better than gills but that is just my opinion.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/11/18 01:32 PM

I have never targeted the basic sunfish. Out of the ones I have caught over the years I would rate them Redear,Redbreast,and Bluegill.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/11/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
I disagree with everyone so far.

First in my book would be green sunfish, second would be warmouth and everything else tied for third.

I ran a test one year to try to measure "aggressiveness" in sunfish. The test involved making 10 fly casts to 3 different ponds every day for several months. Each pond only held 1) green sunfish 2) coppernose bluegill or 3) native bluegills.

The results weren't even close...the green sunfish was by far the most aggressive.

+1 boxing
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/12/18 12:47 AM

My top three would be Greens, Redbreast and bluegills. I love how greens will smash a fly and run, where as the others just seem to swarm and tap at a fly.

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/13/18 01:25 PM

Every fish got some votes! Great fighters for sure. boxing
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/13/18 03:03 PM

Looks like the Bluegill,Redear,and Green are the top three!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best Fighting Sunfish? - 08/13/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Looks like the Bluegill,Redear,and Green are the top three!

Yes Sir: I also love that all six fish got some votes! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum