Texas Fishing Forum

Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Flags

Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/12/18 11:27 PM

Spent about 4 hrs in the tube today and the lake was absolutely on fire! Everywhere I went I got into really solid fish. For today's trip I broke out a rig I don't use to often down here. It is a Diawa Mini-Spin. 4 1/2 foot rod with a little bitty open faced reel spooled with 2 lb line. It is the rod I use for brook trout back in CO and since I'm headed that way in 2 weeks I figured I may as well break it out. The fish really gave a good fight on this ultra-light rig.

I started out getting into a lot of shellcrackers. They were hanging around some fallen trees in a little cove next to a boat house that I like to hit. I've never seen anyone else fish it which is fine by me since it nearly always kicks out some decent fish. I took about 10 shellcrackers in total with an average length of 7 or 8 inches.

A little farther down the lake I began to get into the redbrest. For the most part they ran about 6 inches long but I got a few close to 8. I'm guessing I got about an even dozen of the redbreasts.

And then there were the bluegills! They were biting like caged rattlers! Most of them were hanging around the boathouses and they were all good fish.

I have no idea how many bluegill I took today. I quit counting at 40 and fished for quite a while after that. They were all in about 6-8 ft of water and were hitting pieces of worm on a 1/64th oz unpainted jig head. Using 2 lb line allows you to use the really light jig heads and that is a tactic I also use on trout back home. The ultra-light rig performed beautifully and I didn't have a single fish break off. I also got a little bitty largemouth that was about 8 inches long. He was a go getter on the light rig too.

I kept 4 of the bluegills that were in the 6 to 7 inch range and fried up the fillets as soon as I got home for a tasty snack for the fetching and beautiful Mrs. Chief. If Y'all got time on your hands, heading to Athens would be a good thing to consider.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/13/18 12:33 AM

Nice!! Great report.

>E
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/13/18 12:44 AM

Solid post and solid fish! Love having days like these! Good job Flags! thumb
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/13/18 01:38 AM

Slabathon session
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/13/18 01:55 AM

Awesome catch...wish I lived closer to your lake … or … your lake lived closer to me...
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/13/18 01:04 PM

Great report! thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/13/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Vogey
Awesome catch...wish I lived closer to your lake … or … your lake lived closer to me...

Could you imagine Athens being right next to Dunlap! hmmm
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/14/18 02:48 PM

Great post Flags and some super fish. Good job Sir.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/14/18 08:09 PM

Catching Mules, very nice thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/16/18 01:10 PM

Nice report and fish! Great job Flags! woot

Side Note: I might just have to give float fishing a try! If not for my Kayak I would have tried float fishing a long time ago!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Athens is on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!! - 06/17/18 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Nice report and fish! Great job Flags! woot

Side Note: I might just have to give float fishing a try! If not for my Kayak I would have tried float fishing a long time ago!

I have seen a lot of videos on float fishing. It amazes me how an angler can sneak up onto the fish and then drop a bait on em! Only thing that I would have a question is, I would bet you can get pretty tired paddling back to your drop in spot!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum