Texas Fishing Forum

2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records

Posted By: J-Moe

2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/11/18 03:14 AM

I loaded up the kayak and fly rods and headed out to Dunlap this morning. Got a late start and didn't leave home until 4:30 AM grin I got there around 6:45 and headed to one of Chuck's secret spots. Fishing was good and I caught lots of bluegill, redbreast, greenies and longear. As always, a few small bass mixed in as well. But the prize of the morning was a new lake record Warmouth. It was 8.75 inches long and weighed 0.62 lbs.

I left Dunlap and headed over to Chuck's house to get it weighed. Then I headed out to Cibolo creek to fish one of Clayton's secret spots. I fished my way down to the spot catching lots of sunfish, bluegill and bass. When I got to the spot it didn't disappoint. I caught 3 redbreast that were over 10 inches long. I strung up the first one I caught and headed back to Chuck's to get it weighed. It was 10 inches and weighed 0.77 lbs.

Thanks Chuck for pointing me in the right direction, weighing my fish and providing me with enough gatoraide to get me through the day. Thanks to Clayton as well for putting me on some monster fish. You guys are the best.

The 10 inch redbreast represents my 9th different trophy species / big fish award that I have caught on the fly rod. I caught the warmouth on a Llano bug and the redbreast on a rubber legged dragon.

PS: I also got my Cibolo Creek fly rod record back Catyaker. Tag, you're it grin

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/11/18 07:42 AM

bow_down CONGRATULATIONS JAMIE! bow_down

Four water body RECORDS on two water bodies that are hard to place on! Both weight records for Rod/reel and fly rod categories! Both your fish were SOLID! Good Job. thumb

Side Note: Gotta a feeling that both the Wildman of the Navidad and Catyakker will be on "Record Watch"! whip whip whip whip
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/11/18 11:53 AM

whip whip whip flehan glad you got on em and left a record open lol congratulations Jamie
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/11/18 02:47 PM

Congrats Jamie, y'all are having a great year! So many records
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/12/18 06:41 PM

Congrats J-Moe! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/12/18 08:22 PM

Nice fish J-Moe and congratulations on your four new records! flehan You Sir are on a record role! rockon

Side Note: Witch do you fish from most? Kayak,boat,or bank? Again congrats on your new records.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/13/18 12:34 AM

Congrats on the records.

>E

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/13/18 02:39 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the nice words.

Gitter Done, I fish for sunfish out of the kayak most of the time. I prefer to bank or wade fish but I just can't get to the best spots or cover much water without the kayak. Same for crappie and largemouth bass. On the other hand I catch white bass about 90 percent of the time from the bank or wading.
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/14/18 12:04 AM

Congratulations J-Moe. You are a real record buster. "PS: I also got my Cibolo Creek fly rod record back Catyaker. Tag, you're it grin".
Well even though I am in the Autumn of my years. I may have a few more left. Gives me something to try for. For that I am truly grateful.
frkazoid

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/14/18 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Catyakker
Congratulations J-Moe. You are a real record buster. "PS: I also got my Cibolo Creek fly rod record back Catyaker. Tag, you're it grin".
Well even though I am in the Autumn of my years. I may have a few more left. Gives me something to try for. For that I am truly grateful.
frkazoid

I am pretty sure that the both of you will be getting your share of record fish for years to come! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/14/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the nice words.

Gitter Done, I fish for sunfish out of the kayak most of the time. I prefer to bank or wade fish but I just can't get to the best spots or cover much water without the kayak. Same for crappie and largemouth bass. On the other hand I catch white bass about 90 percent of the time from the bank or wading.

Thanks! Judging by most of your post you do find the BIG FISH!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/18/18 12:23 PM

Congratulations J-Moe on your record fish. Those are some nice ones. flehan What color fly's got the best results on Dunlap and the Cibolo Creek? hmmm Again congrats on catching two very nice fish. woot

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/18/18 02:51 PM

Thanks GD, Catyakker and Laker One

Laker, I was catching most of the fish on a black / chartreuse rubber legged dragon on Cibolo and a crawfish colored rubber legged dragon on Dunlap. As always, the yellow Llano bug also worked well.

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/20/18 12:22 PM

Laker, I was catching most of the fish on a black / chartreuse rubber legged dragon on Cibolo and a crawfish colored rubber legged dragon on Dunlap. As always, the yellow Llano bug also worked well.

Black/Chartreuse and Brown are the colors that get the best results on Dunlap and Mcqueeney! I also have a Ladybug Fly for both top water and sinking. During the early spring and fall I get pretty good results with it both fishing it on top and sinking it. Red/Yellow,Red/Black,Red/White,and just Red all get good results. It's funny during the summer and winter months I can't buy a bite using the Ladybug! hmmm

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/20/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Black/Chartreuse and Brown are the colors that get the best results on Dunlap and Mcqueeney! I also have a Ladybug Fly for both top water and sinking. During the early spring and fall I get pretty good results with it both fishing it on top and sinking it. Red/Yellow,Red/Black,Red/White,and just Red all get good results. It's funny during the summer and winter months I can't buy a bite using the Ladybug! hmmm

Very interesting, I don't ever use red on my flies. I guess I need to tie up some flies with red in them for the Spring and Fall. Thanks for the information.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/21/18 02:39 PM

Hey Jamie, are you trying to get more records than me???? What's up with that!!!!! I may have to come down there and break your rods as well as your arms and legs!!! duel Just kidding, keep up the great work bro!! I guess you're going to have to come fishing up here in order to break most of my state records, I'll even show you where I caught them.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/21/18 03:17 PM

Congrats on your new records J-Moe clap

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/21/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Chaser
Hey Jamie, are you trying to get more records than me???? What's up with that!!!!! I may have to come down there and break your rods as well as your arms and legs!!! duel Just kidding, keep up the great work bro!! I guess you're going to have to come fishing up here in order to break most of my state records, I'll even show you where I caught them.

roflmao roflmao Ha ha ha, I've already broke 2 of your private water body state records so I was feeling sorry for you. Now I know where to focus my efforts. roflmao

Thank you sir

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/21/18 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: gar1970
Congrats on your new records J-Moe clap

Thanks gar1970.

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/22/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Chaser

roflmao roflmao Ha ha ha, I've already broke 2 of your private water body state records so I was feeling sorry for you. Now I know where to focus my efforts. roflmao

Thank you sir

Don't feel bad Jamie has broken 4 of mine this past month! bang I wish he would switch to saltwater fishing! hammer
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/22/18 05:23 AM

I don't feel bad at all, I'm very happy for him. Records a great hobby and I hope he gets plenty more. It doesn't bother me in the least when he breaks my records, I'd rather he do it than someone else.

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/23/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One

Very interesting, I don't ever use red on my flies. I guess I need to tie up some flies with red in them for the Spring and Fall. Thanks for the information.

You should do well! Also throw a Brown Salamander (sinking). woot

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/23/18 07:11 PM

Thanks Laker, I couldn't find a sinking lady bug fly so I had to make one up from a deer hair beetle pattern. I researched the brown salamander patterns and they are all really big. I'll have to come up with something for this pattern too.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/24/18 09:33 AM

Congratulations on the fish and records

Re: 2 Waterbodies and 2 new Water Body Records - 06/24/18 05:49 PM

Thanks Champion Fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum