Texas Fishing Forum

Summertime already?

Posted By: Smithaven

Summertime already? - 06/06/18 04:08 PM

I made my weekly pilgrimage to Lynn Creek Marina this morning. A little squall line made its way past the lake just before me. The sunfish bite was awful. I caught one good sized bluegill and an assortment of smaller fish. I had to work for every bite.

The fish were definitely not on the beds. I think they have finished spawning and gone into their summer pattern early because of the unseasonable hot weather. In past years Joe Pool had a healthy vegetation growth. I could pick off good sized sunfish from the weed edges. Two years ago the lake rose 16 feet and stayed that way for months. All the vegetation died. It never came back. Some say the grass carp ate the young weeds before they got started good. In any case, last year was a bust in the summer. I was not able to find large sunfish.

As a sad note, there were three of us old codgers who sat on the docks every summertime Wednesday for several years. After the sunfish quit biting for the summer we caught big old carp. Two of the men died this winter, leaving only me.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Summertime already? - 06/06/18 04:14 PM

Great post Smithaven! Looks like you caught a nice variety! Bluegill,Greens,and Longear are hard to beat! thumb Hope the lake conditions improve! eeks Also sorry about your two fishing buddies! Seems the Good Lord needed two more fishing buddies! angel2
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Summertime already? - 06/06/18 05:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your fishing buddies. Those are some nice fish...good colors & size...
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Summertime already? - 06/06/18 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Vogey
Sorry to hear about your fishing buddies. Those are some nice fish...good colors & size...

+1
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Summertime already? - 06/06/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Great post Smithaven! Looks like you caught a nice variety! Bluegill,Greens,and Longear are hard to beat! thumb Hope the lake conditions improve! eeks Also sorry about your two fishing buddies! Seems the Good Lord needed two more fishing buddies! angel2
+1
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Summertime already? - 06/09/18 02:13 AM

Awesome post and coolphotos sorry about your buddies
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Summertime already? - 06/09/18 01:07 PM

Great post and some nice fish Smithaven! I also know the feeling. I have a couple of friends also fishing with the good Lord!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Summertime already? - 06/10/18 01:11 PM

Nice post and fish! Good job! woot

Side Note: Sorry about your two fishing buddies! Keep catching those Joe Pool Slabs!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum