Texas Fishing Forum

Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes!

Posted By: Gitter Done

Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/22/18 07:17 PM

flag soldier flag Remember our brave men and women in our armed forces who made the ultimate sacrifice! flag May "GOD BLESS AMERICA"! flag flag
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/22/18 08:25 PM

Good reminder, there is more to the weekend than our own plans. flag
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/23/18 03:40 AM

Memorial Day was probably a bigger holiday to my dad than any other throughout the year. Thank You to all of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

William F. Edwards, USMC
July 9,1925 - July 21, 1944. He was killed by a mortar round on the island of Guam just a couple weeks after his 19th birthday. I am saddened that I never had the honor to have met him, and from listening to my dad talk about him for the very few precious years he was a mortal on this earth he was a man that was a "man's man". RIP Uncle Bill.

Needlepoint of a letter that my uncle wrote to my dad shortly before his death. It's almost like he knew he wasn't going to ever going to make it out alive.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/25/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek06
Memorial Day was probably a bigger holiday to my dad than any other throughout the year. Thank You to all of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

William F. Edwards, USMC
July 9,1925 - July 21, 1944. He was killed by a mortar round on the island of Guam just a couple weeks after his 19th birthday. I am saddened that I never had the honor to have met him, and from listening to my dad talk about him for the very few precious years he was a mortal on this earth he was a man that was a "man's man". RIP Uncle Bill.

Needlepoint of a letter that my uncle wrote to my dad shortly before his death. It's almost like he knew he wasn't going to ever going to make it out alive.

God Bless your Uncle and all who gave up their lives for us! flag flag flag flag flag

flag flag flag "GOD BLESS AMERICA!" flag flag flag
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/25/18 01:15 PM

Great post canyoncreek06! flag soldier Huge salute to your uncle and all of our brave men and women who sacrificed their lives for our FREEDOM! soldier
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/27/18 01:14 AM

Thank You, Gents.

The touching thing about my uncle's death is that my dad went into the Navy immediately after the war as an electrician. His first and only assignment was rebuilding the Island of Saipan. Before he went to Saipan they stopped briefly on Guam. He never really talked all that much about his brothers' death. But, I seem to remember him telling me that while he was on Guam he was able to find where his brother was temporarily buried. He then went on to Saipan where he and another gentleman were in charge of the crews responsible for rebuilding the electrical lines. When they were finished they had to go back to Guam for a short while. He found that his brothers' body had been removed and was on it's way back to the states. Dad made it back to Sinton, TX and the body had not made it yet. While he and his mom waited, they did a jigsaw puzzle of an old sailing vessel that remained under a piece of glass on her coffee table. After my Grandmother's death my Sister-In-Law took it and had it framed. She gave it to my dad for Christmas and that was the first time I ever saw my dad just flat out bawl for what seemed like 30 minutes. Shortly after that he started going through some of his brothers' things and had a shadowbox made for his medals and flag. There are still letters from 1944 that are in my Grandmother's old cedar chest that have never been opened. Anything that came to her after being notified of Billy's death she did not want to open and anything that she sent him and received back. Sorry for the long post but felt it worth sharing.

>E
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/27/18 02:27 AM

Kelly. Thank you so much for sharing this! This is the true meaning of Memorial Day! The story that relates to your dad and his brother is simply "Priceless" to your family. America gives thanks to your uncle and all others in the Armed Forces who made the ultimate sacrifice. "God Bless America"! flag
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/27/18 03:10 AM

flag soldier
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/28/18 01:54 PM

Never Forget! flag soldier
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/28/18 02:23 PM

Thank you to all the men and women that have served and are currently serving our country, God Bless you and your family's flag
Posted By: psalty

Re: Memorial Day! Remember Our Fallen Heroes! - 05/28/18 05:05 PM

Thank you so much for sharing and I thank you for allowing us to remember those that are not forgotten. God Bless Our Troops and America !!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum