Texas Fishing Forum

male or female?

Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

male or female? - 03/13/18 08:52 PM

how do you go about seeing if your fish is a male or female? Is it easier by shape/colors/features or by their underside, either way I would love knowing how to sex these guys both ways
Posted By: gar1970

Re: male or female? - 03/14/18 12:58 AM

Look between the fins roflmao roflmao roflmao bolt

Re: male or female? - 03/14/18 01:20 AM

LOL! I have been I just cant seem to distinguish. Iv read that the males have 2 small holes where the females have one small and a larger above it, but I haven't seen any with a huge difference to for sure know
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: male or female? - 03/14/18 03:14 AM

The easiest way to tell the sex of a sunfish is their color during the spawning months. The males are usually the most colorful. Male Bluegill will usually have bright red bellies while the females will have a very light red/orange or pinkish belly. Male Redear will usually have a dark yellow belly during the spawning months while the female will have a white belly. Males also have the darker red flap. Just about all male sunfish will be more colorful in the spawning months and the females are more plain looking. The females will also have fatter bellies usually filled with eggs. During the winter months it is hard to tell the sex of sunfish! Hope this helps you out some! thumb

Re: male or female? - 03/15/18 12:45 AM

It does! Thank you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum