Texas Fishing Forum

is this a pumkinseed??

Posted By: Eric

is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 01:48 PM

Just starting out on trying to learn sunfish fishing and how to indentify every type I catch. Thx
Posted By: karstopo

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 02:13 PM

Looks like a bluegill.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: karstopo
Looks like a bluegill.

Plus #1.

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 03:10 PM

wow I thought i knew what a blue gill looked like but I never caught one with orange breast

These are what i was calling a blue gill .Guess I was wrong.
The top of cooler is 13 1/3"

Posted By: Laker One

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 03:35 PM

The first picture(I think) is a Bluegill and all of the others are Bluegill. The top picture is probably it's winter and spawn colors. Also the water body can play a factor in their color as well. Just my two cents. I have only been fishing for sunfish for about six years. It's a blast to catch them on both ultralight and fly gear! woot

Side Note: There are some GREAT sunfish anglers that always post here. Maybe one will apply with 100 percent accuracy. cheers
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 03:37 PM

I have a strain of bluegills in one pond, been there for over 1/2 century or more, that looks just like that one you pictured. I call them "golden bluegill"...but they are bluegill nonetheless. Beautiful fish.

The multi-fish picture you showed are of copper nose bluegill...a unique strain that originally came from Florida. They are a great pond fish reaching sizes larger than the native bluegills.

Bluegills, especially the males, can take on very widely different color schemes and are most brilliant during pre-spawn which can happen multiple times during the spring/summer full moon phases.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/02/18 05:54 PM

^^^Meadowlark is the master, and to follow up on the comments, I have never heard of or seen Pumpkinseed's caught in public Texas waters. I have heard stories of landowners stocking them as forage for Bass in private ponds. It seems Longear's are the most common confused fish with Pumpkin's.

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/03/18 12:12 AM

thx to all for schoolin' me.Appreciate it and hope to land more of these tenacious fighters.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/03/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Eric
thx to all for schoolin' me.Appreciate it and hope to land more of these tenacious fighters.

Sunfish are a BLAST to catch on ultralight tackle. GREAT FIGHTERS for their size. It's very addictive! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/03/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
I have a strain of bluegills in one pond, been there for over 1/2 century or more, that looks just like that one you pictured. I call them "golden bluegill"...but they are bluegill nonetheless. Beautiful fish.

The multi-fish picture you showed are of copper nose bluegill...a unique strain that originally came from Florida. They are a great pond fish reaching sizes larger than the native bluegills.

Bluegills, especially the males, can take on very widely different color schemes and are most brilliant during pre-spawn which can happen multiple times during the spring/summer full moon phases.

Like I said. "The Bluegill section has some experts who post here who can just about answer all your questions when it comes to sunfish! rockon
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: is this a pumkinseed?? - 03/03/18 04:51 PM

Nice fish.

Side Note: The Bluegill section can supply an angler with some very good information as shown here on this post!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum