Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Texana

Posted By: Lepomis4Life.

Lake Texana - 02/06/18 12:41 AM

I stopped at the lake for an hour on my way home tonight and caught a few.

Posted By: Pwizzle89

Re: Lake Texana - 02/06/18 12:43 AM

nice catch!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Lake Texana - 02/06/18 04:54 AM

WTG clap
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Texana - 02/06/18 11:11 AM

Nice fish Don! Good job. cheers

Side Note: What time of year is the best sunfish fishing time on Texana?
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lake Texana - 02/06/18 04:51 PM

Winter time Bluegill! Will not belong until the spring bite. Nice fish. Great to see you posting again.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lake Texana - 02/07/18 03:01 PM

Nice fish. Never fished Texana. Maybe one of these days I will make it out there! woot

Seen form past post that there are some gators in that lake! bolt

Re: Lake Texana - 02/08/18 05:43 AM

Definitely. I have a buddy who wades in there still. scared
One day I heard this weird crackling noise and I looked down and saw a little gator staring up at me. I moved and he took off.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Lake Texana - 02/09/18 01:03 AM

Is that lake always chocolate milk colored ?

Re: Lake Texana - 02/09/18 01:04 AM

Nice slabs woot
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Lake Texana - 02/09/18 03:19 AM

Nice afternoon of fishing.

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Nice fish. Never fished Texana. Maybe one of these days I will make it out there! woot

Seen form past post that there are some gators in that lake! bolt

Gators? There are no big lizards there. roflmao

Originally Posted By: Lepomis4Life.
Definitely. I have a buddy who wades in there still. scared
One day I heard this weird crackling noise and I looked down and saw a little gator staring up at me. I moved and he took off.

I have a few friends that wade the area within the old State Park during the crappie spawn and do well.

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
Is that lake always chocolate milk colored ?

The three tributaries (Navidad River, Sandies Creek and Mustang Creek) that feed it have very good clarity if it doesn't rain. With the Navidad being the clearest (almost too clear at times) then the two creeks being about the same. The area they call "The Jungle" gets very clear and will clear the fastest after a big rain. After Harvey the main part of the lake had a little bit of clarity to it (about 12" visibility) due to the flood washing much of the accumulated silt away. I haven't been to check it this winter so I'm not sure if the 12" visibility has remained. I had heard from some of the locals that they had expected it to remain "fishable" for at least a year possibly more.

I fish the three tributaries quite often. Haven't been on the main lake in years with the exception of last October. Mainly went to go check and see if the reports of improved visibility were true. I caught a few crappie at some old stomping grounds I use to fish back in the mid 80's. The lake is about 3.5 to 4ft low right now and it's actually kind of scared seeing areas that I have been running. rolleyes There are stumps sticking out of the water everywhere. eek2

>E

Re: Lake Texana - 02/09/18 01:01 PM

Most often milk chocolate. There are many downed tress and stumps. Turtle city at times and occasional snags. But it's still fun to fish it. It's a nice body of water. You would think it would be a crappie mecca.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lake Texana - 02/09/18 03:10 PM

That lake stays "chocolate milk" all of the time so I am told!
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Lake Texana - 02/09/18 07:06 PM

Yes, the main lake is like "yohoo". But, if you venture up some of the tributaries the water is very fishable. And, yes it holds a really good population of crappie and a great supply of food. Is it a constant "limit" lake? No, but the quality of fish is very good. You just have to be patient and trust that you can catch fish in less than ideal conditions.

These crappie were caught up a feeder creek during the tail end of last years spawn in about 18" of water. Caught a couple of stragglers in the main creek channel.

These were caught after the spawn a week and two weeks after a good rain the water clarity the first week was horrible but managed 9 and 13 the following week once the water cleared up a little.

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Texana - 02/10/18 02:54 AM

Nice slabs canyoncreek06! thumb

Re: Lake Texana - 02/10/18 10:27 PM

Yeah, that's what it looks like....Yoohoo

Re: Lake Texana - 02/11/18 12:47 AM

Wooo hooo nice slabs I used to fish the navidad around Oakland and halletsville caught some real nice blues and Chanel’s in blue holes around that area never really fished it for sunnies Tho

Re: Lake Texana - 02/11/18 01:25 AM

Speaking of cats..

.I fished there again today and caught a few. The water was extra muddy with all of the rain.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum