Texas Fishing Forum

Wanting to plan a trip - need advice

Posted By: BassMajician

Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/05/18 02:38 PM

After looking through all these threads, I feel like I need to take my son (12yo) on one of these panfishing adventures. Banker, your posts are wonderful and inspiring. Your posts of fish and scenery of the Nueces Canyon are beautiful and I want my son to experience that. My son LOVES fishing (and hunting) and I feel like this could be a great weekend getaway for he and myself.

Problem is, I have no idea where to begin. Are there any "guides" that could be hired for doing this? It would be a weekend trip - so I would hate to spend the majority of the time "looking" for a place to fish. I would rather pay someone knowledgeable to put him on some fish.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

~BJ Duplechain
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/05/18 07:26 PM

It's GREAT BassMajician that you want to take your son on a outdoor/fishing adventure. The Nueces Canyon is a super place to visit,hike,and fish. Best time to fish that area is mid spring,summer,and fall. There are several camping parks. Cooksey's just outside of Camp Wood is a super place to camp. The park is super clean and has some great rules that are enforced by management. The park also has river access to the Nueces. If you have a kayak or a boat with a 25 horsepower or less you can launch there at the park. There is limited bank space there but just outside the park there is plenty of bank space. Great scenery all around and there are a couple of good restaurants in Camp Wood to eat at. There are also some public areas to fish leaving Camp Wood on River Road. There is a park called Twin Sisters and they charge a fee to day fish. I think the fee is $5.00 per person. There is also bank areas up FM 55 towards Uvalde that are good. Another camping area that allows day fishing is Chalk Bluff which is on FM 55 outside Uvalde. Some of the places I fish are private but I do well on both the private and public areas. Hope you are able to make your trip. Lifetime memories await you and your son. fish

Re: Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/05/18 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
It's GREAT BassMajician that you want to take your son on a outdoor/fishing adventure. The Nueces Canyon is a super place to visit,hike,and fish. Best time to fish that area is mid spring,summer,and fall. There are several camping parks. Cooksey's just outside of Camp Wood is a super place to camp. The park is super clean and has some great rules that are enforced by management. The park also has river access to the Nueces. If you have a kayak or a boat with a 25 horsepower or less you can launch there at the park. There is limited bank space there but just outside the park there is plenty of bank space. Great scenery all around and there are a couple of good restaurants in Camp Wood to eat at. There are also some public areas to fish leaving Camp Wood on River Road. There is a park called Twin Sisters and they charge a fee to day fish. I think the fee is $5.00 per person. There is also bank areas up FM 55 towards Uvalde that are good. Another camping area that allows day fishing is Chalk Bluff which is on FM 55 outside Uvalde. Some of the places I fish are private but I do well on both the private and public areas. Hope you are able to make your trip. Lifetime memories await you and your son. fish

Thank you very much! That is what I am looking for. I would like to be able to do a little hiking, fishing, camping, and site-seeing all at the same time. I appreciate your help!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/05/18 08:58 PM

Chuck has the knowledge!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/07/18 01:12 AM

I kayaked both the Frio and Nueces Rivers this past spring. Me and my friends camped out for three days. It was one GREAT Experience. Plan on doing it again. The Nueces Canyon is a beautiful place to visit!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/07/18 03:53 PM

Love post like these. Let's us know how your trip went if you all Go!

Re: Wanting to plan a trip - need advice - 01/08/18 02:17 AM

I will definitely post up once I get the details worked out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum