Texas Fishing Forum

Nissan Titan

Posted By: Stump jumper

Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 01:40 AM

Anyone own one? Thinking about looking at a Pro X. Not sure if dealers offer any discounts on them. Not going to pay MSRP like Toyota charges for TRD Pros.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 03:16 AM

I had one.. never had any problems and overall at dang good truck.. trade value sucked tho. Like most Nissan they depreciate fairly quickly even tho Nissan makes great car.. thinking of getting the wife another murano.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 12:52 PM

You looking at the diesel or v-8?

FIL has the xd diesel, its been a good truck, doesn't get the best fuel mileage but runs well and seems to have a good ride. It was recently in the shop for over 4 weeks for what turned out to be contaminated fuel... Nissan techs might need to take a diesel class!

While it was in the shop that gave him a loaner a 2017 with the gas v-8. My impression was it felt slower than my old 5.3 chevy, that truck was a DOG!

If I was going to buy one it would be the diesel and if I was going to buy that then I would bump up to a 3/4 ton that gets the same fuel mileage and will have a lot more capability and resale.
Posted By: Green Fish

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 01:11 PM

A friend of mine just bought a new Titan with the Cummins diesel and it is a beast...310 HP and 555 ft lb torque and it really feels like a much bigger truck and it can tow a bass boat like it's not even there... 12K lb towing capacity. The Aisin transmission is also very stout. He also got a great deal on it and didn't pay near the MSRP (about $11k off as I remember and a quick review in Auto Trader appears to confirm that there are some good deals out there on 2017s. If I were in the market for a new tow vehicle...I would seriously consider the new Titan with the Cummins diesel.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 02:05 PM

Interesting review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-nissan-titan-xd-long-term-test-review
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 04:03 PM

The Titan gets no love in the media but it is intriguing for the discounted prices they've been going for. For near $60k, it's not worth it imo. But discounted to around $45......may be the only way I ever have a Cummins. I think those XD Pro-4X's are good looking trucks.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 05:19 PM

Looking at gas only. I have no need for a diesel. I saw some pretty good discounts at one time. I really want a Tundra but with no under seat storage and their stupid port add ons like ball mount and vehicle protection I will have to special order. I asked the GM at Atkinson Toyota why they add over priced ball mounts. Have not yet received an answer and probably won't. Unless someone is buying a truck for the first time most people have them. I have 3.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/09/17 05:51 PM

I don't know what rear end options etc. they may have but that gas pickup was pitiful. I seriously hope there was something wrong with it. I definitely wouldn't buy one.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/14/17 10:16 PM

Ok, the Nissan folks are not responding. It is Chevy or Tundra. Tough decision here. I prefer the Tundra but not sure I can get over the MPG difference. I have heard that the 5.3 is gut less towing at highway speeds. Not sure how true that is. Might have something to do with AFM. Speaking of AFM I have heard that zGM finally worked out the kinks. Right now the cost of the Mpg diff is fairly significant for me @ about $500 annual. Of course that will go up with higher gas prices. I think it I going to come down to up front cost. Not even sure if the Silverado I want is available and there is only 1 Tundra.
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/15/17 12:54 AM

you may find a test of the Nissan here:

http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/06/2017-nis...e-trucks-video/

They have quite a few youtube tests of pickups.
Posted By: gander

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/15/17 12:46 PM

One Tundra?

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/15/17 12:59 PM

I have not driven one of the new 5.3's but have read and talked to people who say they are noticeably better/peppier than the previous models. I would still expect it to lag the 5.7 tundra a little.

As I understand it the AFM problems have been quieted down greatly, but if your planning on keeping it to high mileage I think the tundra would be a safer bet than AFM. My 2011 with AFM I sold to my uncle is still running strong at 75,000 with no problems, but it uses a quart of oil in a 5000-7000 mile change which I attribute to AFM.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/15/17 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have not driven one of the new 5.3's but have read and talked to people who say they are noticeably better/peppier than the previous models. I would still expect it to lag the 5.7 tundra a little.

As I understand it the AFM problems have been quieted down greatly, but if your planning on keeping it to high mileage I think the tundra would be a safer bet than AFM. My 2011 with AFM I sold to my uncle is still running strong at 75,000 with no problems, but it uses a quart of oil in a 5000-7000 mile change which I attribute to AFM.
I can handle 5000-7000 but have heard that a qt every 2000 is not unusual. It is going to come down to price. If I can get the Tundra low enough to offset the MPG diff then it is the Tundra for sure. If equal in price decision is tougher. Chevy might make the decision easy if they chose not to give me the loyal customer discount. I got a good deal from Moritz but it is $1500 better with the discount. I am not going to subsidize current owners and told them that so we will see what happens. Now $500 would not be a big deal.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/15/17 06:06 PM

What Tundra are you looking at?

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/15/17 06:07 PM

What Tundra are you looking at?

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 02:33 AM

2017 white CM or DC TRD OR SR5 4x4 without step rails, vehicle protection, balk mount, or remote start. Toyota.com shows 2 that meet criteria but apparently they are phantoms. Trying to minimize port add ons that I do not want or need. I been working with several dealers. Toyota of Rockwall sent me a letter offering a $1700 loyalty rebate but looks like it is not staked on other rebates like GMs.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 08:51 AM

I just wonder how many states fall under the gulf port add on [censored]...looking out of state may be an option

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 10:38 AM

I found 2 in KC when I bought the Tacoma. Problem was they did not have tow package. KC is about the closest out of GS region. Right now I don't have time to start searching out of metroplex.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 01:46 PM

Do you need the tow package? From my understanding it comes with 4.3 gears instead of 4.1 not sure about the coolers etc. It will easily handle a boat without extra coolers and the 4.1 gears will help your economy a little.

I'm not super familiar with the yota tow package, maybe I'm wrong.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 05:29 PM

I had a 2004 5.3L and it was a dog with anything behind it. Like redchevy, I have heard that the newer 5.3L motors are significantly improved in this respect. The 5.3L with max trailering package is rated for something like 11k lbs trailer weight, so I would think that it could handle heavy loads with the right gearing and transmission. But I'm not sure if that package adds an oil cooler or transmission cooler or anything like that. All I know for sure is tow mirrors, lower gearing, and a class IV hitch IIRC.

I think the newer Chevy's are quite a bit better than the ones from 3-4 years ago, which seemed outdated compared to the 2000-2012 models, which were average in terms of features/technology.

I'd have a tough time picking between Chevy and Toyota myself. As much as I commute, a Tundra just isn't an option. If gas goes back to $4+ a gallon, I wouldn't want to be driving something getting 15-16 mpg back and forth to work every day. I'd lean towards a Chevy, but it has it's limitations too. The Ram hemi isn't a terrible option and is more affordable than either of those.

5.7L hemi with 3.21 gears can only tow 8k lbs but easily gets over 20 mpg on the highway
5.7L hemi with 3.55 gears can tow 9k and does a little worse on mpg
5.7L hemi with 3.92 gears can tow over 10k lbs and will still be better than the Tundra on mpg

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 05:34 PM

Do you need the tow package? From my understanding it comes with 4.3 gears instead of 4.1 not sure about the coolers etc. It will easily handle a boat without extra coolers and the 4.1 gears will help your economy a little.

yep, tow pkg is required and yes it comes with coolers. Some of the Silverados I have received quotes on have 3.08 rears. No wonder they get 20 on the hwy.. I am leery of buying a Silverado for 2 reasons. One is the AFM and 2 is the resale versus a Tundra. I am afraid that I will have buyers remorse in a couple of years with the Silverado and take a bath on resale. At least with the Tundra if I change my mind the impact won't be as much. Looks like I will be putting off my decision until the end of deer season. I guess I will just wait until the next round of rebates. Rebates seem to just give the dealers reason to lower their discounts. I think the only thing that might cost me is the price increase on the 2018 and the financing. The Toyota website lists a couple of Tundras that I would buy now but dealers cannot find them. Not sure if the website is not updated or if dealers are trying to upsell stuff I don't want.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 06:14 PM

Definitely would not do 3.08 gears.
On the other hand the gearing may be different now with the new transmission.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 07:25 PM

I think the 4.1 is what the 4.6 motor comes with ...thinking 5.7 all have 4.30

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/16/17 08:36 PM

Not supper familiar with them, but the Tow package lists the options it inclues trailer hitch oil and trans cooler, trans temp gauge, wiring, hitch and 4.3 rear end. If it was the same for all of them I wouldn't think it would list it, but I cant seem to locate that info.

After looking everything I find says tow package is 4.3 and non tow package is 4.1. I think the 4.6 is a 3.91 and 4.1 in the tow package.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/17/17 01:25 AM

The Tundra 5.7 comes with higher gearing stock, but nearly all of them have the tow package and I thought the 4.1 gears were the lower gears for towing. I could be remembering wrong, but I don't remember anything about 4.3 gears.

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/17/17 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
The Tundra 5.7 comes with higher gearing stock, but nearly all of them have the tow package and I thought the 4.1 gears were the lower gears for towing. I could be remembering wrong, but I don't remember anything about 4.3 gears.
My '13 has tow pkg and 4:30... That is the ratio for 5.7 with tow.4:10 is without....3.91 for v6 and 4.6 with out tow...4.6 with tow is 4:10

Re: Nissan Titan - 08/17/17 12:36 PM

Ok, I just mis-remembered. I think you'll find that nearly all of the 5.7 models will have the tow package and 4.30 rear end then.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum