Texas Fishing Forum

2015 or newer 4runner 4x4?

Posted By: bluecoat

2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/16/17 11:42 PM

Thinking about giving up the V8 truck for a Toyota 4runner 4x4, towing about 4000lbs, anyone out there with real time ownership info on their 4.0 engine? Most of my towing is limited to north and east Texas. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: bluecoat
Thinking about giving up the V8 truck for a Toyota 4runner 4x4, towing about 4000lbs, anyone out there with real time ownership info on their 4.0 engine? Most of my towing is limited to north and east Texas. Thanks in advance.
I towed my Ranger (3200 lbs) with a 2009 Prerunner and now a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 both with 4.0s for 9 years. Never had a problem accelerating or stopping. I have yet to use 4x4 on a ramp even with Champ. The 4.0 is a gutsy motor. I blew the motor on the Ranger about a month ago and upgraded to a 22' bay. I just scaled the Bay at 4,620 plus it has a lot more wind resistance than a bass boat. I pulled the Bay from LaFayette to Rockwall. Did 70-75 for the most part. The 4.0 drank some gas but handled it well in 4th. I even forgot to put it in 4th and ran a few miles in OD once. Only time It ever dropped to 3rd was when I got behind some traffic doing 60-65 and had to climb a hill. I already had plans to buy a full size before buying the Champ.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 06:50 PM

I'm sure it will do it, if I was doing more than 1/2 hour to hour trips at a time It would be pushing it harder than I would want to. I know a few people with new 4.0's and they claim they are not as peppy as the older ones.

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I'm sure it will do it, if I was doing more than 1/2 hour to hour trips at a time It would be pushing it harder than I would want to. I know a few people with new 4.0's and they claim they are not as peppy as the older ones.
new ones in Tacomas are not 4.0 they are crappy Atkinson 3.5 (I believe) car motors. As far as I know the 4 Runners have retained the 4.0. The 4.0 in the 4 Runner puts out more HP than the Tacoma version. Not sure about the all important torque numbers. I would not get the 4 Runner if making regular trips to TB, Rayburn or further but for local lakes and Texoma/Fork it will be fine. Go to the 4 Runner forum or even Tacoma forum. Lots of threads in the Tacoma forum even a whole towing section.

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 08:27 PM

Boss just got rid of their old 4 runner with 270k miles on it. The dash looked like a Christmas tree with all the check engine lights on and the transmission was starting to go. They test drove a new 4 runner and said it was a turd compared to the old one and bought a jeep instead. Both 4 runners had the 4.0

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 09:20 PM

Boss just got rid of their old 4 runner with 270k miles on it. The dash looked like a Christmas tree with all the check engine lights on and the transmission was starting to go. They test drove a new 4 runner and said it was a turd compared to the old one and bought a jeep instead. Both 4 runners had the 4.0
might have the new 6 speed like the Tacoma. I think most complaints on the Tacoma are around the gearing.
Posted By: gander

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 10:54 PM

Most cars that have dash light up light up like a christmas tree probably have not been taken care of..I havent seen a vehicle with several check engine lights ..ever....the newer 4 runners are a little heavier than previous models but have 270 hp I believe like FJ.....I dont think they have the Tacoma transmission...Jeep with a v8 should have more power than the 4.0...hope they bought an extended warranty.....I had one jeep and will never own another unless its a toy like a CJ-5
Posted By: gander

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/19/17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
might have the new 6 speed like the Tacoma. I think most complaints on the Tacoma are around the gearing.
My brothers biggest gripe is the tranny programmed to shift for economy and the higher rpm you need to make power and torque...he says it is amusing/sad when driving 65-70 on the highway and the tranny wont stay put especially in hilly terrain..If Toyota neuters the Tundra like the Tacoma I may end up in a Ram..

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/20/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: gander
Most cars that have dash light up light up like a christmas tree probably have not been taken care of..I havent seen a vehicle with several check engine lights ..ever....the newer 4 runners are a little heavier than previous models but have 270 hp I believe like FJ.....I dont think they have the Tacoma transmission...Jeep with a v8 should have more power than the 4.0...hope they bought an extended warranty.....I had one jeep and will never own another unless its a toy like a CJ-5

It had been maintained and still ran well except the transmission was starting to act up. The lights were all sensor related but it hadn't effected the performance of the vehicle, and it ran good better than the new one was their opinion. They bought a jeep with the 3.6 pentastar v-6, not the hemi. They are happy with it in performance and fuel mileage but there have been a few recalls. All in all they like it and bought their daughter one.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/21/17 09:54 PM

I read that on some 4-Runner models, it takes on an average of 5 hours to do an oil change. You have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to the filter.
Posted By: Capt Jerry

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/21/17 10:03 PM

I had a 2006 4wd 4runner with the V8 (which is no longer available). I towed with it for 11 years and drove it 150K miles with zero repairs, just maintenance.

I wanted to replace it, but since they no longer have the V8, I moved up to the base Lexus GX 460 SUV as it has the base V8 from the Tundra. I now have the nicest tow vehicle at the ramp. It is rated to tow up to 6500 lbs and has 4wd with low range.

I have used the 4wd at the ramp before.

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/22/17 12:44 PM

Capt. Jerry,

Isn't the GX 460 full time 4WD, with a switch to 4L if needed? So it would be like AWD, power to all 4 wheels all the time? Sorry for the dumb question, all I know is old school Chevy 4x4...thanks.

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 07/22/17 04:39 PM

Yes, I guess you would call it AWD. But it is a traditional transfer case with low and high range. My 2006 4Runner was the same. In fact, the vehicles are very similar mechanically. The 4Runner had the 4.7 V8, and the GX has the 4.6. The 4.6 is stronger and gets slightly better fuel mileage. But it certainly is not easy on fuel.

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 08/01/17 07:28 PM

Want to thank everyone for the comments, got my hands on a 4runner for the day and decided to pass, went with a Sequoia 4X4, guess once a V8 always a V8!

Re: 2015 or newer 4runner 4x4? - 08/01/17 10:10 PM

I am sure you will be very pleased with the Sequoia. You should get many years of great service from the vehicle! Congratulations!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum