Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"?

Posted By: cajuntec

Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/21/17 04:57 PM

My tires are WAY overdue to be changed. I've been lucky to not have a blowout before now, as I've driven thousands of miles in recent years on tires that are original to the 2005 trailer. They still "look" new, but I don't want to risk it. I'm planning on starting to fish tournaments again this year after a long absence, and want to reduce any issues.

I've always run Goodyear Marathons, but I'm seeing more trailer tires being advertised lately.

Any suggestions?

All the best,
Glenn
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/21/17 06:12 PM

I think Goodyear took Marathons off the market, (could be wrong). But I just put a pair of Goodyear Endurance tire on my trailer. Too soon to evaluate but they are supposed to be the latest and greatest.

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/goodyear-endurance-reviews/
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/21/17 06:16 PM

I've had good luck with Maxxis but I usually switch to passenger or LT's when I replace trailer tires, depending on the load.

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/21/17 06:21 PM

Thanks for the reply Pat. I saw those at Discount tire, along with Carlisle tires, which sponsors the tournament series I'm planning to fish. So I was considering the Carlisle's this time, as they and the Goodyear Endurance were the two "best" rated choices.
All the best,
Glenn
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/21/17 10:52 PM

Since Goodyear started making the marathons only in China they have become the worst trailer tire out there in my opinion. They were a great tire when made in the USA.

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/21/17 11:30 PM

Wow. I've been reading up on the new Endurance compared to the Carlisle. The Carlisle ain't getting good reviews at all. Reports of multiple blowouts, ruining trailer fenders in the process, etc... I think I'm going to give the Endurance a try.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/22/17 01:31 AM

I'm not a fan of Goodyear but I think the Endurance are made in the US.

And for the record, the Marathon had a horrible reputation.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/22/17 01:01 PM

I think you made the right choice avoiding the Carlisle's.
20 miles round trip just to get it inspected with a 30 minute stop in the middle. Tire is less than 2 years old and correctly inflated. I'm so tired of trailer tires it isn't even funny. I don't know what I'm going to put on our trailers, but I have a TT a 16 foot flatbed, and a 24' boat that will be needing tires soon and I'm not real happy with any of the trailer tires ive had.

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/22/17 02:48 PM

I hear you on trailer tires. Only issues I've ever had were with ST's...blow out, tread separation and dry-rot. Wish I could remember all the brands I've owned, but I don't.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/22/17 02:57 PM

Mostly what I have run are Carlisle's several years ago they treated us well. Not any more!

I have a set of marathons on our flatbed that are about 5 years old... I'm afraid to move that thing.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/23/17 05:13 PM

A lot of people prefer the ride of radials over bias ply but in my opinion bias ply are more durable. I have run nothing but Carlisle bias ply on my trailer for 30 years. Never had a blowout and the only time I have to repair one was when I ran over a staple. They are a little rough when cold but I drive a Tacoma so I am use to a little rough.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/24/17 12:22 AM

I love my Carlisle Radials!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/26/17 05:41 PM

Carlisle HD
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/27/17 01:00 PM

I bought some Kumho 857 radials since they're rated for speeds faster than 65 mph. But within 4 years of very light use, both of them developed bulges and had to be replaced. My original made-in-usa Marathons lasted more than 10 years with no issues and just got replaced due to age, so I was a little disappointed in 4 years of service from the expensive Kumhos. I ended up buying Gladiator tires. Seem to be a good blend of price and positive reviews.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 06/27/17 01:28 PM

I've had real bad luck from Carlisle tires, blew out several and will not ever put another one on a trailer of mine.

Re: Bass Boat Trailer tires - Are Goodyear Marathons still "it"? - 07/01/17 09:11 PM

I bought the Goodyears yesterday. Discount tire is running a 4th of July sale / rebate, so I bought 4, and when my rebate comes in, I'll use it to buy the spare.
All the best,
Glenn
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum