Texas Fishing Forum

Ram Clutch - which one?

Posted By: Holzer

Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/20/17 05:03 PM

2012 Ram 3500

My clutch is slipping. I want one of 3 things to happen when I put the truck in gear.
1. Go
2. Tires spin
3. Stall

Whats the best clutch I can purchase that has the most holding power?
I do have a chip. The program I run on, I think I'm about 20-30 hp over stock.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/24/17 04:11 AM

Southbend is the best. For only 30 hp over you are really just stock.
Is it a diesel or gasser? The 6.7 diesel clutches are over a grand for the G56 transmission. The 5.9 can be a little cheaper.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/26/17 01:07 PM

Yep, Southbend is good, Valair makes a decent one as well. If only lightly chipped, a single disc will do. I went to the brass/ceramic type clutch many years ago. They are aggressive and don't slip, but don't expect them to be smooth when letting the pedal up. I used to wear out an organic clutch every year on the K-30 hauling hay out of the field, and went to these. That clutch has lasted for years.

Re: Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/27/17 05:59 PM

Thanks guys for the tips on brand to look for.
Yes, the truck is a diesel.

I was expecting to drop around $1,000 on the part alone, considering that the part was quality.
I will not be doing the repair my self. I'll have to get a shop to do it. But I want to at least have the say on what clutch is installed.

Re: Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/27/17 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Allison1
Southbend is the best. For only 30 hp over you are really just stock.
Is it a diesel or gasser? The 6.7 diesel clutches are over a grand for the G56 transmission. The 5.9 can be a little cheaper.

Maybe I'm running a little more then? I'll have to check my book. I know I have several "levels" to choose from. I've been running on a program considered as towing or as in the book one level above stock. It accomplishes what I wanted it to and that's enough for me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/27/17 06:14 PM

How many miles you got on it?

Re: Ram Clutch - which one? - 03/29/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
How many miles you got on it?

@ 120,000
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum