Texas Fishing Forum

Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck?

Posted By: Matt Jackson

Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/27/17 04:57 PM

I'm looking a getting a steal on a loaded 2015 LTZ Silverado Z71 diesel. The truck runs great and is super clean but my concern having the emissions deleted. What are yalls thoughts on this? Everything I've read says it will prolong the life of the engine and the warranty is already voided on this truck because of the upgrades so that's not a concern at this point.

Any advice?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/27/17 06:10 PM

No, at some time there may be emmission testing statewide. You never know what politicians may do. Also don't have a clue how it was driven.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/27/17 06:45 PM

Sure, if you also get the DPF that was removed. You can always go back to stock config.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/27/17 07:13 PM

Just inquired and all stock emission parts are still available. He bought the truck used about 4-5 months ago and he did all the emissions deletes, new wheels/tires, shocks, 6" lift within the last few months. He is a car whore and gets something new every 4-6 months. Currently has 40k miles.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/27/17 07:37 PM

Only if it came with all the emissions hardware and the software could be put back to stock easily with no out of pocket cost.

I personally would be leery of someone who buys a truck like that puts all the mods into it and then gets rid of it. It probably had the ever loving shat driven out of it for the 40k that's on it, you have no warranty, and technically it is illegal for him to sell you the vehicle with the emissions off. If you are going to finance I dang sure wouldn't tell your lender.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/28/17 01:27 AM

Don't walk away from it, run!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/28/17 02:05 AM

Against federal law to sell a truck with know emission removal. Go try to trade it in someday and have fun.
Posted By: THF_BigPig

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/28/17 08:45 AM

You said lift kit, I'm out on that one. The tunes & deleted part would run me off too. I absolutely hate the thought of major repair bills on a vehicle I owe tons of money on
Posted By: rngrfshrmn

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/28/17 11:32 PM

Anything with def in it just RUN from IT ! I drive one for a living and the engine light never stays off more than 2 weeks and constant exhaust cleaner problems. No, never, ever if I am paying for it
Posted By: glenls

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 12:08 AM

Heck if it's a steal and you don't want it, PM me. I'll be all over it.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 04:01 AM

Why would you not buy a deleted truck? You already said he has all the stock stuff to put it back on if need be . I would much rather have a deleted truck that hasn't been choked down with all the emissions bs . Have you ever seen the inside of these choked down trucks motors? It looks like a smokers lungs . My truck is deleted for mpg purposes only , it's not a hot rod . I will never drive a choked down diesel again
Posted By: THF_BigPig

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 05:33 AM

For everybody that gripes about the DEF and how bad the emissions is on the engine how long do you actually keep a truck? I'll run mine until warranty is nearly out then adios and hello new truck. I couldn't give 2 chits what the inside of the engine looks like

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 01:50 PM

I run my trucks for 10 years plus , a truck note is for suckers
Posted By: MBarger

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 02:27 PM

What are you calling a steal (if you don't mind posting the price)
If you live in a emissions testing county it can be tough (some would same impossible) to get it inspected without the DEF.
It is good he has the stock parts, but if you ever tried to take it in for warranty work they would immediately know it's been modified no matter how you try to return to stock.
Did he also block the EGR (or take it out completely)? And if so does he have the EGR unit.
I would ask him specifically what tunes he used. A D-max can easily be powered up enough through tunes and deletes that you will go through a tranny and rear-end and have to upgrade.

I have a 6.7 Powerstroke that is fully deleted. All newer model diesels run a heck of a lot better without all the emmissions, but if you are a trade in every 2-3 years guy it is not worth it.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 05:01 PM

40k miles in 6 months, a lift, a a tune? Pass

If it's a steal, it might be worth a shot if it's exactly what you want, you don't live in an emissions county, and it comes with all the parts to return it to stock. But it would have to be a real giveaway for me to ignore the obvious implications of a guy who buys an expensive truck, makes some really expensive mods, drives the crud out of it, and is then willing to sell it at a huge loss.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
40k miles in 6 months, a lift, a a tune? Pass

If it's a steal, it might be worth a shot if it's exactly what you want, you don't live in an emissions county, and it comes with all the parts to return it to stock. But it would have to be a real giveaway for me to ignore the obvious implications of a guy who buys an expensive truck, makes some really expensive mods, drives the crud out of it, and is then willing to sell it at a huge loss.

Exactly.

You should see the way the kids here treat their brand new, deleted, lifted trucks that their parents bought them. They are constantly driving the schizz out of them, taking them mudding, having tug of wars with them and no telling what else. Not something I am personally going to take a chance on.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 01/29/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt
I run my trucks for 10 years plus , a truck note is for suckers

X2, best way to go IMO.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/02/17 07:57 PM

I specifically avoid vehicles with mod's done to them when I'm shopping. I want a stock configured truck in every aspect, except stuff like tires and whatnot. Fast and loud is for my hotrods, and I'll build them myself. I want my DD trucks and tow rigs to be faithful and low key, without having had the snot beat out of them by someone else beforehand.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/02/17 08:33 PM

Put it one other way - when was the last time you saw a new, tuned truck with a lift, tires, and shocks driving down the road in a normal, reasonable manner? Not too often.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/02/17 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Put it one other way - when was the last time you saw a new, tuned truck with a lift, tires, and shocks driving down the road in a normal, reasonable manner? Not too often.

Got passed yesterday by a guy in a 2017 6.7 powerstroke deleted dragging a 35-40' tandem dual gooseneck. It was lifted about 35's all the goodies and tint as black as midnight. He flogged that thing from every stoplight we came too... it probably had less than 20k on it sounds like a good buy popcorn
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/03/17 01:49 PM

How can you tell if its deleted when it just passes you?

Also, my truck is before some of the more stringent EPA emissions systems were installed but I live in an emissions county and they don't test for emissions or inspect the truck for EPA parts. I am due for an inspection by next month so I'll watch it again but there is no emissions test in Texas, I think. Any of you guys with newer diesels have anything about emissions testing?

My 2000 gets zero emissions testing and its under 20 dollars for the safety inspection.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/03/17 02:27 PM

Well from the sound alone I could tell he had at a minimum removed or replaced the muffler, and I have never seen a stock tuned truck roll coal like he was, no way it was stock.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/03/17 02:29 PM

They do not do emissions testing, but I do believe they are suppose to do a visual inspection to make sure the emissions components are still there.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/04/17 01:53 AM

You want a "faithful, low key truck" but the stuff choking your motor and shorting it's life, making it run like a four banger is the answer? Come on man

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/04/17 03:04 AM

You want a "faithful, low key truck" but the stuff choking your motor and shorting it's life, making it run like a four banger is the answer? Come on man
My "choked down" diesel is getting 26-27 mpg.

I would like to see some sort of study that shows what the long-term impact is of emissions-compliant diesel engines versus engines with no EGR/SCR/DPF/etc. I doubt the difference would be nearly as big as the people paying big money for tunes would like to think. Several folks on the Ram ED forum driving bone stock motors up over 150k or 200k miles with zero issues.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/04/17 01:02 PM

Yes your half ton diesel is getting that much.

It reduces maintenance cost for sure , it reduces repairs because you aren't getting bs codes all the time
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/05/17 03:52 AM

I leave them stock , do regular maintance , drive them normally , got a 1999 250 4x4 crew cab 7.3 all stock except suspension , just bought a 2017 GMC Denali 4x4 with the Diesel 445 hp backed up with Alison , no mods for me . Had a hot rod truck back in early 70's .

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/05/17 01:06 PM

Well the 99 didn't need it .

Again, I delete for mpg's , it pays for itself . My truck is never driven fast and my pedal has never seen.the floor .

Anyway , this is why we can all have opinions s , life is good

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/06/17 01:07 AM

It reduces maintenance cost for sure , it reduces repairs because you aren't getting bs codes all the time
I think that code talk is a weird argument. People all over the ED forum talking about codes that never showed up until they got a tune.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/06/17 07:33 PM

The modern diesels in my opinion experience more issues when operated how not intended. Do not let them idle, if your not using it turn it off. They do not make good commuter vehicles, they were designed to be work vehicles the harder your work them the better the emissions systems work (the most plagued part of them).

If you have a 2 mile commute in Canada you should not buy a diesel. There are so many people who buy them and use them what I would call incorrectly. I feel no pain for someone who buys a modern emissions equipped diesel who doesn't tow or haul anything and has a short commute. You bought it as a status symbol... well enjoy the status of expensive maintenance.

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/09/17 01:15 AM

Diesels want air , today's diesels don't get air , that's the problem

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/09/17 01:15 PM

They get plenty of air. They don't like filters stuck up their rear and farts put back in their face. And the hundreds of sensors are what cause a great deal of problems. A sensor out will put it in limp mode.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 02/15/17 10:40 PM

I wouldn't do it. You lost me at Chevy Diesel.....
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Would you buy a deleted and tuned diesel truck? - 03/29/17 06:09 PM

No way I'd buy a mod'ed newer vehicle of any kind. Mod's aside, the simple fact that it is modified tells me it has probably been beat on a bit, at least.

Now that's not to say I wouldn't have one that has been modified, but if I do I will have done the mods or had them done to an otherwise stock vehicle.

I just don't want something someone else has been beating on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum