Texas Fishing Forum

Truck advise please

Posted By: lenahorse

Truck advise please - 10/02/16 04:31 PM

I have a Ford F250 04 Super Duty 4x4 diesel it is getting many miles on it as well as a small car, thinking of going to 1 vehicle again a pickup, I drive lots of miles hence the small car, do pull trailers, what is the best new/used (as new) mileage truck out there? I doubt I can get as not made what I need, and will probably keep mine.
Any suggestions very much welcome.
Does any really get in the high 20-low 30's? mpg?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Truck advise please - 10/03/16 01:25 PM

For mileage nothing I know of can touch the Ram Ecodiesel. I have a 2015, have about 16k miles on it now. I drive 40 miles round trip to work a day and average over 27 mpg. I have driven it empy hwy and gotten over 31 mpg. I towed about 4k lbs on a flatbed to the ranch last weekend and got 21 mpg towing the trailer.

Its not for everyone. It is not a sporty truck to drive, it is relatively slow. They have had some engine issues that are thought to be issues with lack of care in the assembly of the motors, but they seem to be failing and replaced under warranty.

I love mine and wouldn't trade it.

Fair warning it has been a good little truck for me and it tows well, but it is not a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup, it is a diesel but it wont remotely hang with what the big 3 are putting out in the bigger trucks.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Truck advise please - 10/04/16 02:41 AM

thanks it is a heck of a decision on my part
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Truck advise please - 10/04/16 04:19 PM

I have an Eco Diesel just like redchevy. Mine is a 2016 with about 4k miles on it. Like he said, it's not a 3/4 ton truck. Tow rating is 8,000 lbs or 9,000 lbs depending on which model and which rear end you get. But the gas mileage is obscene for a full size truck if you're willing to drive light-footed and stay under 75-80 mph. My commute is about 30 miles round trip and I'm averaging about 26-27 on that commute. I get 19-20 towing my 17' fiberglass bass boat, 22-25 driving around town, and 27-30 on the highway.

Ram also offers a ton of features for the price and has a better riding truck than any of the others IMHO.

PM me or redchevy if you have any questions about the EcoDiesel. I know he was more than willing to help me when I started looking at them and I think both of us would be happy to help you out in any way we can.
Posted By: getbent956

Re: Truck advise please - 10/04/16 08:08 PM

Love my ecodiesel. I have a 4x4 with 3.92 gears. I don't get as good fuel mileage as others posted, but it's better than my old 4x2 Tacoma so I am ok with it. I have about 6000 miles and love this truck. Not a hot rod truck but I knew that going into it. I hate driving in general but I got a Laramie with air suspension and it's awesome. We use it for our family trip truck. We often go on 3 hour road trips one way for the weekends with A infant and 2yr old and all the kiddie stuff. Plenty of room. I have a folding tonneau cover for the rear. The ram boxes are a nice touch as well.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Truck advise please - 10/05/16 01:52 AM

Should've mentioned that mine is a 2WD with 3.55 gears. I do have the LSD to help with traction, but it's no 4x4.

You'll take a mileage hit on the 4x4 and heavier gearing just like any other truck. But if you compare the 4x4 3.92 to any other vehicle that can tow 9k lbs and has 4x4, the numbers are just stupid on mpg.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Truck advise please - 10/06/16 02:11 AM

Hey if your cat stays down at the coast during the season and only travels back and forth a couple times a year then you could get by with a half ton.
Mine is paid for and although I don't tow with it as much as I used to do, I think I may keep it several more years. My brother has a 2002 Ford F250 4X4 that has well under 100 thousand miles and he's been thinking seriously about trading it in for a new something or other. He also has a small car that he drives to keep miles of the oil burner.

Ecoboost, Ecodiesel and even the Cheby now has a small truck diesel that will pull a decent load. I think the GM may be a tad small to pull your offshore boat long distances but that may be wrong. I just don't know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum