Texas Fishing Forum

Ugly!!

Posted By: R.J.E.

Ugly!! - 08/18/16 05:51 PM

I just can't get over how ugly the new F-150 is, they must have got the guy from GM that designed the new Tahoe's and Yukon and had him design them. I mean really, let's put a big frown on the front grill and copy Tundra's tailgate. I see a lot of grill guards in their future much like the Ram pick-up's.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 01:05 AM

The F150 is a thing of beauty, made of aircraft grade aluminum, and still maintains it's lead as the biggest selling truck in the world.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 01:25 AM

I actually like it more than the previous models. Now you want to see fugly, look at a Chevrolet, pure stupid looking square boxes.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 03:26 AM

I think it looks better than the Other brands but I agree, it's ugly. I think they're all ugly right now. I like the 05-2014 models.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 12:52 PM

I'm not a Ford guy, but I like the new body style. I like all of the current body styles. I can't even pick a favorite honestly. They all look good between Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 03:06 PM

I see a truck as a tool to get a job done, not a prom date.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 04:41 PM

If you line up all of the major players these days there are portions of the truck that look very similar from one to the other.

I honestly think dodge or ram or whatever you want to call them has one of the better looking body styles to me. The others are getting very blocky in my opinion.

One think I don't like about the ram or any of them is how thick the tailgate is. I know its probably to house all the back up cams and such, but I'm not a pan. Other than that I got to agree with Samsonsworld, they all look ok enough for me to drive, I based my buying options on capability and economy plus a little bit of want factor.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 05:38 PM

Overall I like the GMs with the exception of that massive front bumper. I would like to see an oversized Gen2 Tacoma. That would be a nice looking truck. I cannot get over how low the front end on the new Fords sit. I had a one pull up bedside me that was a 4x4 and I swore I was looking at a 4x2. What good is a 4x4 if you are going to drag the nose on every rut. Sure make the aftermarket guys happy.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 08:10 PM

My ram is a 4x4 and it also sits very low in the front. Like my last GM all you had to do to get an additonal 6 inches of clearance under the front bumper was to remove the spoiler on the bottom of the bumper.

I'm not into off roading etc. so the clearance is ok for me, but I too would like a little more.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/19/16 10:19 PM

Yeah I agree the clearance isn't much on 4x4s these days. My '05 4x4 sits way up there compared the the ones now

Re: Ugly!! - 08/20/16 01:36 AM

The low nose is supposed to be for increased fuel mileage and the air dam is engineered like it is for a reason. Jack that front end up and watch the mpg's decrease. (I'm sure a lot of you ready knew that though, but I'm sure one or two didn't).

I like the looks of the new 1500 ram as well, there was a really sharp white one at the dealership the other day. Had me wishing for a minute.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/20/16 05:04 AM

That makes sense but I wouldn't want a truck for fuel mileage, I want a truck for hauling things and driving in the mud and rough terrain as I'm sure a lot of truck owners would like

Re: Ugly!! - 08/20/16 04:28 PM

Not me. No offroading. I want 4x4 for the handful of days per year I deal with ice or snow.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/20/16 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
That makes sense but I wouldn't want a truck for fuel mileage, I want a truck for hauling things and driving in the mud and rough terrain as I'm sure a lot of truck owners would like

It's part of the gov't fuel mileage requirements. All manufactures have to meet certain mpg requirements, that's also why they started experimenting with aluminum bodies.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/22/16 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Not me. No offroading. I want 4x4 for the handful of days per year I deal with ice or snow.
most likely not even a handful around here. Awful expensive option for snow and ice in Dallas or south. Only reason I have a 4x4 these days is for hunting. In my younger days it was as much for fun as it was for hunting. I use to love to watch those Buckshot MTs sling some mud. Also got a kick out of pulling people out of the mud, sand, or snow.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/22/16 06:27 PM

I don't get 4WD because I don't have a need for it. Getting my 2016 Ram with limited-slip differential was a big upgrade from the non-LSD 2WD trucks I've had in the past. I don't go out in snow and ice. If it's that bad, my wife and kids are off and I'm staying home with them.

redchevy, do the 4x4 models sit a lot lower than 4x2? My Ram sits really high. I could just barely fit under my old 2004 Silverado without jacking it up, but I feel like there is tons of room under my 2016 Ram.

That's easy to say at $2/gallon. At $4/gallon, mpg makes a big difference in monthly expenses. My dad drives a Tundra and for every 2 gallons of gas he buys, I'm only buying 1-1.2 gallons of diesel. The savings are pretty unreal. If gas goes back up to $4/gallon, I'll save $10k in 100,000 miles of driving.

Even at $2/gallon, it's $100/month back in my pocket compared to a 16 mpg Tundra.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/23/16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
I don't get 4WD because I don't have a need for it. Getting my 2016 Ram with limited-slip differential was a big upgrade from the non-LSD 2WD trucks I've had in the past. I don't go out in snow and ice. If it's that bad, my wife and kids are off and I'm staying home with them.

redchevy, do the 4x4 models sit a lot lower than 4x2? My Ram sits really high. I could just barely fit under my old 2004 Silverado without jacking it up, but I feel like there is tons of room under my 2016 Ram.

That's easy to say at $2/gallon. At $4/gallon, mpg makes a big difference in monthly expenses. My dad drives a Tundra and for every 2 gallons of gas he buys, I'm only buying 1-1.2 gallons of diesel. The savings are pretty unreal. If gas goes back up to $4/gallon, I'll save $10k in 100,000 miles of driving.

Even at $2/gallon, it's $100/month back in my pocket compared to a 16 mpg Tundra.
and how much of those savings does the higher monthly payment offset. Payback period on a diesel has always been at least 5-7 years when I put a pen to it.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/24/16 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper

and how much of those savings does the higher monthly payment offset. Payback period on a diesel has always been at least 5-7 years when I put a pen to it.
Depends on how much gas costs, how much you assume for repairs on the older truck I was driving, how much the vehicle itself costs versus what it will be worth whenever you're looking to sell it, how much interest you could have made on the money you saved up front, etc.

I don't disagree with the 5-7 year payback period. My numbers were more like 3-7. Closer to 3 if gas is $4 a gallon, my old truck starts breaking down, the eco diesel value is high because gas is expensive, and I got a good deal on the truck. Closer to 7 if I didn't get that good of a deal on it, gas stays at $2 a gallon, the value of the diesel stays low because gas is cheap, and my old truck doesn't break down.

Either way, there's always a trade-off with a more expensive truck. But you've got to be willing to keep the truck til that point if you want to break even. Lots of factors that play into it.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Ugly!! - 08/24/16 05:05 AM

I myself favor the GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 , my current truck is a F250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 1999 , My wife and I tend to keep vehicles for a while .
Posted By: TITANIUM-BACK

Re: Ugly!! - 08/24/16 02:26 PM

New F-150 cost more to repair labor/ hourly wise because of the beer can body. Place where my cousin works switched to GM after having Fords since 1994 because the the new Ford Body and beds dent to easy for the construction work. I say to each there own, thats why there are different trucks.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/24/16 05:11 PM

Depends on how much gas costs, how much you assume for repairs on the older truck I was driving, how much the vehicle itself costs versus what it will be worth whenever you're looking to sell it, how much interest you could have made on the money you saved up front, etc.

I don't disagree with the 5-7 year payback period. My numbers were more like 3-7. Closer to 3 if gas is $4 a gallon, my old truck starts breaking down, the eco diesel value is high because gas is expensive, and I got a good deal on the truck. Closer to 7 if I didn't get that good of a deal on it, gas stays at $2 a gallon, the value of the diesel stays low because gas is cheap, and my old truck doesn't break down.

Either way, there's always a trade-off with a more expensive truck. But you've got to be willing to keep the truck til that point if you want to break even. Lots of factors that play into it.
No way would I even try to compare used to new. When I calculated payback it was new to new. A lot of the payback calculation for diesel versus gas is dependent on fuel cost and we all know what they do. The higher the spread between the fuels then the longer the payback. I stick with if you really need a diesel for hauling then buy one. Of course that could change as diesels improve as long as the improvements are not offset by improvements in gas engines.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 12:22 AM

Funny that a Ford dealer would change to GMC because of issues with the aluminum content of the F150. It has been widely reported that GMC has invested nearly a billion dollars to retool for a high aluminum content pickup to roll out in 2018. Aluminum is going to be a part of every auto maker in order to hit fuel use regulations. Might as well get ready.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 12:35 AM

CAFE Standards call for avg MPG to 54 mpg in a few short years. Unless they plan on giving away electric cars something on full size pickups will change.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: R.J.E.
I just can't get over how ugly the new F-150 is, they must have got the guy from GM that designed the new Tahoe's and Yukon and had him design them. I mean really, let's put a big frown on the front grill and copy Tundra's tailgate. I see a lot of grill guards in their future much like the Ram pick-up's.

Hope you weren't planning to get a lot of agreement on this thread....lol

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: HasBen
Funny that a Ford dealer would change to GMC because of issues with the aluminum content of the F150. It has been widely reported that GMC has invested nearly a billion dollars to retool for a high aluminum content pickup to roll out in 2018. Aluminum is going to be a part of every auto maker in order to hit fuel use regulations. Might as well get ready.
Allegedly GM is going to keep steel in the bed and other critical areas. I could see Ford going backwards and putting steel in certain areas as well.

No way would I even try to compare used to new. When I calculated payback it was new to new. A lot of the payback calculation for diesel versus gas is dependent on fuel cost and we all know what they do. The higher the spread between the fuels then the longer the payback. I stick with if you really need a diesel for hauling then buy one. Of course that could change as diesels improve as long as the improvements are not offset by improvements in gas engines.
I agree. Payback on new to new is almost immediate since a diesel already holds its value better than a gasser. Even payback on new vs used looks pretty good if gas goes up much at all. Because when gas gets expensive, usually diesel is either the same price or cheaper, and the gas-sipping diesels will come out way ahead on monthly expenses.

As for only getting a diesel if you need it for hauling, I think that's what the Ecodiesel and the F-150 diesel that Ford is releasing in 2017 are looking to change. They want to make diesel an alternative for gas even for truck buyers who don't need to tow heavy loads. Ram has done exactly that IMHO. I would expect that Chevy is looking for a way to stick a diesel in the Silverado 1500 and Toyota has to be looking for a diesel option for the Tundra. The gas mileage gains just make too much sense to ignore it.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol Man River
Originally Posted By: R.J.E.

Hope you weren't planning to get a lot of agreement on this thread....lol
Nope I wasn't looking for any at all, just my views, but they must be good trucks if they can look like they do and still outsell the other brands.But alluding to the guy who said he didn't buy it to take it to the prom, I understand that but you still have to look at that ugly b_tch until you break up with her. L.O..L.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 05:27 PM

Allegedly GM is going to keep steel in the bed and other critical areas. I could see Ford going backwards and putting steel in certain areas as well.

I agree. Payback on new to new is almost immediate since a diesel already holds its value better than a gasser. Even payback on new vs used looks pretty good if gas goes up much at all. Because when gas gets expensive, usually diesel is either the same price or cheaper, and the gas-sipping diesels will come out way ahead on monthly expenses.

As for only getting a diesel if you need it for hauling, I think that's what the Ecodiesel and the F-150 diesel that Ford is releasing in 2017 are looking to change. They want to make diesel an alternative for gas even for truck buyers who don't need to tow heavy loads. Ram has done exactly that IMHO. I would expect that Chevy is looking for a way to stick a diesel in the Silverado 1500 and Toyota has to be looking for a diesel option for the Tundra. The gas mileage gains just make too much sense to ignore it.

How do you figure payback is almost immediate? With a $5k higher purchase price it is several years out and the resale value only comes in to play when you sell.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 07:01 PM

I could see Ford going backwards and putting steel in certain areas as well.

I could see Ford offering a basic bedliner as standard equipment.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 09:24 PM

How do you figure payback is almost immediate? With a $5k higher purchase price it is several years out and the resale value only comes in to play when you sell.

The way I look at it is you pay for the options you get. The diesel option is 5k but that's over the base v-6. The other motors aka hemi are options too.

I bought a CC 4x4 diesel and probably paid less than some that got a gas motor. I got the drive train I wanted and they got the leather electric but wipers and navigation they wanted. I still get almost 30 mpg in a full size truck.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/25/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
I could see Ford going backwards and putting steel in certain areas as well.

I could see Ford offering a basic bedliner as standard equipment.

Maybe I live under a rock, but the only thing I have really heard bad about the aluminum beds is the GM commercial... I think we should all agree to take competitors adds with a grain of salt... especially since said competitor has been spending money researching doing the same.

Re: Ugly!! - 08/27/16 03:43 PM

Every-time I see this title I chuckle. I find the new Ford to be really nice looking, at least from the front and I think that Chevrolet has mastered making the ugliest truck in history. Funny how much we all differ in taste.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum