Texas Fishing Forum

Towing boat

Posted By: 94sktr

Towing boat - 07/07/16 09:37 PM

Took my truck into the dealership today to see what's up. Coming back from Toledo Bend a few weeks ago it would not shift into drive. Was running in tow/haul. Took it to the transmission shop and they couldn't find any problems. It wont act up unless I am towing. The dealership said they will hook up to a trailer and try to get it to act up. I hope so. It's a 2010 half ton Z71 with 90,000 miles. Anyone else run into this before?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Towing boat - 07/08/16 12:56 PM

What do you mean it wont shift into drive? Overdrive??

Does it shift normaly through all the other gears?

Have you checked trans fluid? What does temperature read on trans?

If you turn tow haul off will it shift into Overdrive? It probably just wont shift into O/D with tow/Haul on, mine wouldn't at normal driving speeds, nor would it tow more than a kayak in O/D.

Re: Towing boat - 07/11/16 07:45 PM

it wouldn't shift into drive in tow/haul or out. would run about 3300 rpm at about 65 mph. was burning a lot of fuel.

Re: Towing boat - 07/11/16 07:45 PM

it wouldn't shift into drive in tow/haul or out. would run about 3300 rpm at about 65 mph. was burning a lot of fuel.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Towing boat - 07/12/16 01:46 PM

What motor and gears do you have?

Is it a 4.3?

Those trucks are not known for a lot of low end power, they are going to go looking for rpm's when you put a load behind them. 3300 sounds a little hi to me, but maybe not with the v-6. Try letting off the gas a little and seeing if it will shift. You using cruise control?

Will it shift into drive without the boat?

Do you have the 4 speed auto or the 6 speed? If you are turning 3300 rpm and you have the six speed it is running in 4th gear and wont shift into 5th or 6th.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum