Texas Fishing Forum

Ecodiesel update

Posted By: redchevy

Ecodiesel update - 05/03/16 03:32 PM

Still love it. Just short of 6k miles on it. Used less than 1/2 a tank of DEF. Still on factory oil change not using any. Last tank of diesel was commuting back and forth home to work and back 20 miles one way with some mixed driving on both ends plus 40 miles towing the boat. Hand calculated average over the tank 26.4 mpg. I think I like it a little more every time I drive it.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/03/16 09:02 PM

What does the trip computer say?

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 12:36 PM

Trip computer said 27.2 mpg. My computer readout is usually 1-2 miles per gallon off. It has been lower than what I actually got a time or two, but most frequently it is a mile or two high.

Some say its always spot on. My explanation is those people probably don't check their fuel mileage the real way and divide miles traveled by gallons used.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 02:36 PM

I always found it funny when people believe the truck can't calculate economy but have full faith that it correctly displays miles driven and by-God never question a gas pump.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 02:51 PM

My computer on my 6.7 ram told me I got 19 mpg once their aint no way in hell it was right.

I trust the odometer/trip odometer. I know fuel pumps are not always accurate because I have had one not shut off till fuel was pouring out the filler neck and the next one shuts off right or before, and I have put 27 and change gallons in a 26 gallon tank before it hit the first click to shut off.

I still have much more faith in miles driven divided by fuel required to fill.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 02:52 PM

Also fuel pumps are required to be inspected for consistency. In my experience fuel mileage calculators on vehicles are bs. The older ones weren't even in the ball park half the time. The newer ones are much better but I still don't think they are right.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 06:35 PM

Next time you're on interstate, set your tripometer and compare to the mile markers. Even if yours is accurate now, it won't be when the tires start to wear.

And yes, stations get dinged all the time for inaccurate pumps.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 06:37 PM

So you think the mile markers are perfectly aligned and spaced at the exact spacing?

Tire wear will make less than a 1% error. Im still going to take the hand calculation over whatever garbage the compter spits out every time. Ive seen the computer spit out way too many numbers that I know are wrong.

Also if you are saying the trucks odometer cant accurately count miles traveled then the computer readout is just as wrong as hand calc based on those same numbers no?

Maybe ill have to take my gps along to test and see what it says vrs the odometer/tripodometer for a trip to work etc.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 06:52 PM

So you think the mile markers are perfectly aligned and spaced at the exact spacing? Nope, but if you do it over 100 mile or so, they should be pretty accurate. Don't forget, the roads were surveyed.

Tire wear will make less than a 1% error. Losing a half inch of rubber on a 32" tire would be about 3%

Also if you are saying the trucks odometer cant accurately count miles traveled then the computer readout is just as wrong as hand calc based on those same numbers no? Now you understand why I don't bother? lol

Maybe ill have to take my gps along to test and see what it says vrs the odometer/tripodometer for a trip to work etc. Good idea
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/04/16 09:31 PM

Thats pretty dang good mileage! My 98 Ranger single cab 2.5l 5 speed averages about 20.5 mpg hand calculated and that's usually stop and go highway traffic (mornings and evenings dangit) and about 15 miles one way. So not too bad! If it were in anything but a Dodge I'd consider getting one! lol

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/05/16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery
Thats pretty dang good mileage! My 98 Ranger single cab 2.5l 5 speed averages about 20.5 mpg hand calculated and that's usually stop and go highway traffic (mornings and evenings dangit) and about 15 miles one way. So not too bad! If it were in anything but a Dodge I'd consider getting one! lol

I found a shop when I was in highschool that put 4 cylinder cummins motors in 1/2 ton chevies. I was gung ho ready to do it, but dad warned me not to so I didn't. Still wished I had! If my old '94 would have had the cummins swap good chance I would still be driving it today.
Posted By: JonBoater

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/05/16 03:59 PM

That is awesome mileage. Rumor has it Ford is working on a 1/2-ton diesel as well. Got to love competition.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/05/16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JonBoater
That is awesome mileage. Rumor has it Ford is working on a 1/2-ton diesel as well. Got to love competition.

Have heard the same. it is rumored to be another 3.0 liter and has a little better projected performance numbers.

I have nothing against ford and would love a little competition, chevy and Toyota should bild one too!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/05/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Have heard the same. it is rumored to be another 3.0 liter and has a little better projected performance numbers.

I have nothing against ford and would love a little competition, chevy and Toyota should bild one too!

It's not a rumor, it's reality. Ford had sent me a link on it, I have no need for a 1/2 ton diesel so I didn't read the story.

I use gps from time to time to check my miles and speed. I've found Fords almost always are going 3mph slower than what the speedo says at 70mph. Hence, I really drove less miles than what my speedo said I have driven.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/05/16 09:02 PM

I believe speedometers are routinely set a tad low to avoid lawsuits regarding speeding.

I would think but don't know that the odometer is separate.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 11:25 AM

That is obscene mpg. I saw what Allison posted in the Toyota thread about prices, and I agree with his logic of using truecar. I've used it for my last 2 car purchases and I feel it's probably the most accurate source out there. Given what his numbers showed, the ED makes a lot of sense with gas and diesel prices basically being the same or within just a few percent like it has been for awhile now.

Glad you're liking the truck. I'd love to have one. Gonna keep putting miles on the old 2004 Silverado for now though.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 12:08 PM

Yeah, saw diesel cheaper than regular. Bet redchevy is smiling big.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 12:29 PM

Depends where you buy it. Around home some places diesel is cheaper, some places same some places gas is cheaper... just another reason you know the oil/gas industry is bending us over.

I really have enjoyed the truck even without the insane mileage. Its quiet smooth and comfortable.

I put about 2,000 miles a month on it, so I save some on fuel right now, but if diesel/gas prices ever make it back up to the $4/gal mark I will really be saving quite a bit on it... not that I ever want that to happen though.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 12:34 PM

Still love it. Just short of 6k miles on it. Used less than 1/2 a tank of DEF. Still on factory oil change not using any. Last tank of diesel was commuting back and forth home to work and back 20 miles one way with some mixed driving on both ends plus 40 miles towing the boat. Hand calculated average over the tank 26.4 mpg. I think I like it a little more every time I drive it.

Is yours a 4WD or 2WD? I can get a new GMC 4WD half ton gas burner with all the bells and whistles I want, for around 20K difference on my 08 Ram 4WD Mega Cab 2500 Cummins, with 160K miles. I wonder if the local Dodge Dealer will come reasonably close on a 4WD 1/2 ton Crew Cab baby diesel?

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 12:49 PM

Yeah mine is 4x4.

From what I have seen the ecodiesel costs marginally more than a comparable dodge/hemi, ford, or chevy. I wanted one, and im pretty certain any extra I paid for it will be paid in fuel savings shortly. And if it aint im still driving what I want and its paid for. I save about $75-90 a month on fuel over what I spent in my GM 5.3, not a huge savings, but almost a $1,000 a year.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 01:32 PM

Yeah mine is 4x4.

From what I have seen the ecodiesel costs marginally more than a comparable dodge/hemi, ford, or chevy. I wanted one, and im pretty certain any extra I paid for it will be paid in fuel savings shortly. And if it aint im still driving what I want and its paid for. I save about $75-90 a month on fuel over what I spent in my GM 5.3, not a huge savings, but almost a $1,000 a year.

I have spent way more on maintenance on the cummins than any vehicle I have ever owned, but then I have been more meticulous on maintenance on this than any vehicle I have ever owned. Before I buy, I will look at the ecodiesel. A guy here at work bought one a month ago and really loves it. He has about a 75 mile commute one way to work, so the extra mileage has been important to him. No so sure that will be that big a deal when I retire though.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/10/16 01:38 PM

I get over 600 miles on a 26 gallon tank easily on my commute. If I only dive to work I can go 3 weeks without filling up.

Maintenance can be expensive for the ecodiesel. Oil changes are expensive but you can find ways to make them little different than most other doing it yourself and you can by packs of 4 from the dealer that are cheaper than you can change them yourself. DEF is a non factor, comes out to less than a penny a mile for me. Fuel filter runs 30k, oil runs 10k.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/11/16 08:18 PM

What brand of truck?

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/11/16 08:50 PM

Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab with the 3.0 liter diesel.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/11/16 10:43 PM

thanks
Posted By: Wildkow

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/15/16 05:28 AM

Changed the cheap [censored] factory tires on my 15 RAM Ecodiesel 4x4 Big Horn w/20" wheels to KO2's. Lost about 1-1.5 MPG but picked up a [censored] load of confidence. Negligible difference in noise, slightly stiffer ride due to thicker sidewalls and higher tire pressure @50 psi. Now I'm getting slightly less than 20 towing my 97 Champion 202 B&B 3.5K-4K lbs and I'm still at 26-27 mpg highway. Most of the time the trip computer is sometimes right on and sometimes 1-2 mpg less. My experience is that idling while sitting is the culprit in discrepancies between the trip computer and manual fueling calculations. I guess without some forward motion the computer can't calculate as accurately.

I used to drive a Prius and got used to the "Pulse & Glide" driving method around town, i.e., briskly accelerate (don't jackrabbit) to speed limit or 5+ mph over. This should take approximately 7-10 seconds, I then ease back on the throttle to just over idle speed and let it coast until it's somewhere between 5-10 mpg slower then do the process over again. If I adhere to this method I can achieve 20 mpg in town driving, usually I get slightly over 18 mpg. If I pay little to no attention to economical driving in town it sinks to slightly over 16 mpg.

Love this truck, bought it one year ago last week and I already have 18K+ miles. Quiet, smooth ride and very well appointed interior.

p.s. California has a new fuel from Propel it's called HPR, "High Performance Renewable." Its made from biomass material but they claim it's not a biofuel as the method they used to refine the biomass is the same as the method used to refine diesel. It's gives you slightly more power, mpg, less engine noise and in most places it's .05-.15 cents cheaper than Diesel #2 or regular unleaded. Check it out . . . https://propelfuels.com

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/16/16 12:41 PM

My factory tires have been fine.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/17/16 04:34 AM

How many miles, run them on anything other than asphault?

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/17/16 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildkow

How many miles, run them on anything other than asphault?

Only have between 6-7 k miles on them. They see asphalt during the week and usually see a pretty long haul of it on the weekend to get a lot of not asphalt. They have made it around our south texas ranch just fine as well as loaded over payload capacity just fine.

No they aren't an E range tire but they do just fine for a 1/2 ton pickup.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/27/16 02:09 AM

A diesel is made to work.Running one to work and back home will cost you in the long run.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/27/16 04:03 PM

I'm not really sure I understand your comment. Are you saying it wont run well unless you are working it hard, or are you saying you should only have a diesel if your using it as a commercial vehicle?

Its a 3 liter motor, it works just to drag the 6k lb truck around. I use it to tow a boat and it does a lot on the weekends between home and the ranch. It gets worked plenty.

I like the truck and I get 50% better fuel mileage than almost any other 1/2 ton out there, I think it will be fine. For me it was the answer between owning a truck and a car, or just one that could serve both tasks pretty well.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/27/16 04:28 PM

Ever notice when truck drivers stop at a truck stop they leave there trucks running.Was only saying short trips can be hard on a diesel.Wish you well with your new ride.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/27/16 05:32 PM

I drive 20 miles one way to work. My dad has a similar drive, his has 210k on it now with no engine trouble. Brother has a shorter comute has 160k on his. Uncle has a 98 cummins with 450k miles on it... he drives 5 miles further than I do a day and no problems with his. My cousin has a 2013 6.7 powerstroke and he drives 3 miles to work a day round trip and he has yet to have a problem.

I'm not driving a semi, I'm driving a light duty truck.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/27/16 11:12 PM

They are great until you have to have them worked on.Have friend that just had a water pump put on a2010 cummins at a cost of 1200.00 .Another was 6000.00 to replace a turbo on a Ford.Cab had to come off of Ford.By the way he did trade it off.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/31/16 12:47 PM

Lots of things are great till they break. Couple examples from my side of things. I put a water pump on my moms Tahoe, it was simple, but dealer wanted 600-700 for it. Put a new starter on my SIL's car and the quote for it was $900.

All vehicles are expensive to fix.

On a side note I got 30.1 mpg driving it to the ranch this weekend, 200 miles each way.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/31/16 02:51 PM

The eco-diesel sounds great. If I was in the market I would definitely consider one.

My diesel is a over 11 years old and 170K. Drive to work mostly all city driving, basically treat it just like a gasoline vehicle except change the fuel filter more often. Never left it idling at the fuel pump that is for sure! Knock on wood no issues.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 05/31/16 02:58 PM

The eco-diesel sounds great. If I was in the market I would definitely consider one.

My diesel is a over 11 years old and 170K. Drive to work mostly all city driving, basically treat it just like a gasoline vehicle except change the fuel filter more often. Never left it idling at the fuel pump that is for sure! Knock on wood no issues.

I love mine to death, but I also know its not perfect and they seem to have their fair share of issues. There are a decent number of engine failures, although nobody seems to know the cause it is rumored to be quality control in assembly due to ramped up production. Also there is a problem with the oil coolers, they develop a leak and get coolant into the oil which trashes the engine. I plan to disconnect the oil cooler in the radiator and hook up an after market one shortly before warranty runs out. That said few vehicles these days are produced without an issue here or there.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/03/16 11:25 PM

Red Chevy give use some feed back on this Ecodiesel in about 6 to 8 years.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/08/16 06:26 PM

If I'm alive and well and posting on the TFF in 6-8 years I would love to, an infact if its still running well you will probably have to listen to me brag about it. There is still a relatively small number of them on the road compared to other vehicles but there are a few rolling around with over 200,000 miles already (fleet trucks)

If I'm still driving it anywhere near that time frame (which I hope to be) it will be doing so without the emissions system.

Also this truck is running the same emmisions systems that the 6.7 cummins and powerstokes and 6.6 duramax and all hwy diesels are now running. It may have problems along the way but they do work and the technology, reliability and longevity will only get better. I have family and friedns that say they just don't make them like they used to... well maybe with some things, but with cars and how they perform I think they don't make them like they used to... they make them better.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/15/16 08:17 PM

I love mine to death, but I also know its not perfect and they seem to have their fair share of issues. There are a decent number of engine failures, although nobody seems to know the cause it is rumored to be quality control in assembly due to ramped up production. Also there is a problem with the oil coolers, they develop a leak and get coolant into the oil which trashes the engine. I plan to disconnect the oil cooler in the radiator and hook up an after market one shortly before warranty runs out. That said few vehicles these days are produced without an issue here or there.

Interesting thing about the EcoDiesel they are actually way up there in the hp/torque per liter since the displacement is so low.

Eco-
240hp 420ftlbs 3.0L
80hp per liter
140ft/lbs per liter

6.7 cummins-
385hp 900ftlbs
57hp per liter
134ft/lbs per liter

Basically equal to a factory 6.7 cummins with 536hp.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/16/16 12:49 AM

Interesting thing about the EcoDiesel they are actually way up there in the hp/torque per liter since the displacement is so low.

Eco-
240hp 420ftlbs 3.0L
80hp per liter
140ft/lbs per liter

6.7 cummins-
385hp 900ftlbs
57hp per liter
134ft/lbs per liter

Just think, years ago my 1995 7.3 PS was 210 hp/425 ft/lbs. The issue is, the more power you milk out of them, the shorter the lifespan.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/16/16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

Eco-
240hp 420ftlbs 3.0L
80hp per liter
140ft/lbs per liter

6.7 cummins-
385hp 900ftlbs
57hp per liter
134ft/lbs per liter

Just think, years ago my 1995 7.3 PS was 210 hp/425 ft/lbs. The issue is, the more power you milk out of them, the shorter the lifespan.

Wonder how much improved material, lubricants, and productions process have increased the same said lifespan. Going by the HP/torque per liter theory a Toyota 5.7 should have roughly 1/2 the life my old GM 350 CID had and I don't see that happening, maybe the stock 7.3 was inefficient?

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/16/16 01:04 PM

Like many said about the ecoboost when it came out that it would have a short useful life because it was turbocharged. Well perhaps if all ford did was slap a few turbos on some v-6 it might, but I'm betting they upgraded materials bearings, crank, pistons, rods, rings etc. as well which changes the entire equation.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/18/16 06:25 AM

Like many said about the ecoboost when it came out that it would have a short useful life because it was turbocharged. Well perhaps if all ford did was slap a few turbos on some v-6 it might, but I'm betting they upgraded materials bearings, crank, pistons, rods, rings etc. as well which changes the entire equation.

I've heard some are having problems with the the turbos. Ford recommends premium gas while towing with the ecoboost and I'm wondering if running reg gas is the problem. This basically means premium gas all the time because whats a couple time a week bass fisherman like me going to do? Pump/empty out the regular he runs around town with the rest of the week?

Love my ecodiesel!

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/20/16 02:28 PM

The ecoboost runs fine on regular, it does not make the rated power on regular, but adjusts itself so that it runs fine. It will make a little more power on premium. From what ive read the ecoboost has been a largely trouble free motor once they got a few bugs worked out on the early models.

I also love my ecodiesel and wouldn't trade it. Have read in 2017 ford is freshening up the ecoboosts and adding a 10 speed trans.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/20/16 02:49 PM

I have a 2011 EcoBoost with 118k on it. I've never put anything but 87 octane in it. I haven't noticed any changes in engine performance at all. Most of my towing is light duty.

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/20/16 05:47 PM

The ecoboost runs fine on regular, it does not make the rated power on regular,

"We should note Ford tells us that its power outputs improve slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's manual recommends."

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/03/ford-vs-gm-twin-turbo-showdown.html#more
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Ecodiesel update - 06/20/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73

Eco-
240hp 420ftlbs 3.0L
80hp per liter
140ft/lbs per liter

6.7 cummins-
385hp 900ftlbs
57hp per liter
134ft/lbs per liter

that was 20 years ago. My 02' 7.3 liter powerstroke was 260 hp/525 ft.lbs of torque.

todays engines will last way longer than the average American will keep a vehicle
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum