Texas Fishing Forum

after market backup camera

Posted By: gwl2

after market backup camera - 05/01/16 03:14 AM

Looking to install an aftermarket backup camera on 04 dodge 2500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Posted By: whnigt

Re: after market backup camera - 05/01/16 11:35 AM

I have one from e-trailer.com Hopkins Smart Hitch Backup Camera and Hitch Aligner System - HM50002 cost 114.00. It is a wired one not wireless. Tried a wireless one and it didn't work. My only problem is I have it mounted to the upper right side of windshield. The camera keeps coming off of the rubber mounting pad that is attached to bottom of the mounting bracket. I'm going to try to super glue it back on. It was easy yo install.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: after market backup camera - 05/01/16 11:44 AM

I bought an 'after market' wireless add on wire less camera to aid me in backing up to my rig from Orielly Auto Parts.
It was ok but, it had a draw back that I did not think of.
The camera used a license plate mount and a wire coming out of the top of the camera .... short story: some yo-yo came along and cut the wire at the top of the camera.
Non repairable due to not enough wire to repair.....
I guess this can happen to any add on camera system that has an 'exposed' wire hook up.
Good luck in your choice.
God Bless
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: after market backup camera - 05/01/16 04:32 PM

After I bought my used truck I had an aftermarket backup camera installed as well as a new stereo receiver to view the camera images when backing up. I was not happy with the camera they installed so I bought a replacement camera that is a license plate frame mount rear view camera and I have been happy with it.

I also have a small trailer that I cannot see while driving down the road so I needed a way to see the trailer. I ended up getting a wireless IR night vision backup camera kit. I attached the wireless camera using a Harbor Freight dual suction cup lifter and put a cigarette lighter adapter on the camera power cord. I mount the suction cup mount on the top of the camper shell rear window and plug the camera into the camper shell auxiliary power port. I then put the wireless monitor in the cab with me and I am able to see the trailer and the contents of the trailer.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: after market backup camera - 05/01/16 10:41 PM

I have the iball wireless camera. Works great. Camera has a magnet you put on
over the ball and the receiver plugs in to cig. lighter. Just take off after boat hooked up.
sells for 149.00. Works great.
Johnny
Posted By: Kapnbill

Re: after market backup camera - 05/05/16 05:15 PM

I als have the iball. It does work ok but make sure you have a magnetic surface for the camera. I drive a Yukon XL and there is nothing on back that will hold a magnet. I have to use a Velcro strap on the rear wiper arm which is nuisance. It's barely worth the effort. They need to offer the camera with a suction cup mount.
Posted By: NCSkeeter

Re: after market backup camera - 05/08/16 02:14 AM

I bought a $250 Pioneer double din 6" radio from Crutchfield and $20 Esky camera of Amazon, I'm happy with the backup camera and got an upgraded radio with Bluetooth and other modern tech. It's a big upgrade over the stock Cd/fm/am radio i've had for 11 years in my truck.

I haven't tested it backing up to a trailer yet.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: after market backup camera - 05/12/16 09:33 PM

Another vote for the iball
Posted By: rsmith

Re: after market backup camera - 05/12/16 09:51 PM

iball works good
Posted By: Richard Meadors

Re: after market backup camera - 05/26/16 02:34 PM

I have the iball and it works great. After I hookup, I move the camera to the rear of the trailer so I can see behind my pontoon. Helps in backing plus I can see traffic that I can't see in my rear view mirrors.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: after market backup camera - 05/27/16 02:01 AM

How did you boys ever hook up to your boat ? Without all of this high dollar toys.
Posted By: txsrig

Re: after market backup camera - 05/27/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Freeman Clark
How did you boys ever hook up to your boat ? Without all of this high dollar toys.

Still using a rotary dial phone there Clark?
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: after market backup camera - 05/27/16 12:17 PM

I see you're in Waco. Shroeder's Car Stereo on Waco Drive at New Road. The installation will look factory and the money they can save you on equipment will cover the installation expense. Really good people to do business with.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: after market backup camera - 05/27/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Freeman Clark

I use this.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-69778.html
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: after market backup camera - 05/30/16 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I see you're in Waco. Shroeder's Car Stereo on Waco Drive at New Road. The installation will look factory and the money they can save you on equipment will cover the installation expense. Really good people to do business with.

I can second Shroeder's. I was a good friend of his before his death. He was a cool dude. He got me started on my career 29 years ago.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum