Texas Fishing Forum

Toyota Tundra

Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Toyota Tundra - 01/25/16 09:16 PM

Ok can someone give me some actual MPG that they are getting on a Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4. I see on their website that they say 13-18 mpg, but I would like to here from some people who actually own them

Thanks
Posted By: SRBBass

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/25/16 09:19 PM

I've got a 2014 1794 edition and get between 14 and 15 average
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/25/16 09:24 PM

I've got an 08 but not 4wd. Average I'd say 15mpg. I think your estimate is right on the lower end. The only time I've ever got 18 was 55-60mph for a full tank. That being said my next truck will be another Tundra. It's built like a tank, looks good, comfortable for all day driving, and I love it. I bought it knowing I'd get 15mpg and I'm ok with that.
Posted By: gander

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/25/16 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: stratos
Ok can someone give me some actual MPG that they are getting on a Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4. I see on their website that they say 13-18 mpg, but I would like to here from some people who actually own them

Thanks
Winter driving I get 16mpg on hwy...14.5-15 mpg combined....warmer months I can get 17 on hwy when not driving 80 mph..my best mpg on hwy comes at 2000-2100 rpm..I have a 2013 CM 4x4
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/25/16 11:47 PM

I drove a friends 2wd tundra from fort worth to Laredo awhile back. I got 15.1 mpg on the first fuel stop and 14.8 on the second. All highway driving close to the speed limit. Nice truck but very thirsty. Only thing I really didn't like about it is the ac and radio controls feel like they are too far from the driver. And the stiff suspension doesn't ride near as good as a Chevy at high speeds.
Posted By: Fat Boy Fishing

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/26/16 04:04 PM

12-15. '14 Tundra crewmax 4x4. Heavy foot
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/26/16 06:03 PM

14-15 mpg is about what you're going to average. My dad has an extended cab 2WD and averages 16-17. 14-15 is a very common number for the 4WD crew cab models if you're not too heavy on the gas pedal.
Posted By: Thunderbolt

Re: Toyota Tundra - 01/31/16 04:11 AM

I have a '14 Crew Max 4x4. I've had it on one road trip and it got something like 16-17 mpg. Most of its driving is to the grocery store or to drop off/pick up the boy from school just a few miles away and it's getting 13 mpg. However, when its pulling the boat I get 9 mpg.

Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/01/16 01:21 PM

I personally cannot believe that Toyota doesn't seem to care about fuel mileage in the Tundra. I know gas is cheap now but it will not stay that way.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/01/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
I personally cannot believe that Toyota doesn't seem to care about fuel mileage in the Tundra. I know gas is cheap now but it will not stay that way.
I am not sure that Tundra's are that much worse when it comes to real world numbers. My brother has a 2015 F150 5.0 and he gets 16 on the highway.
Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/01/16 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
I am not sure that Tundra's are that much worse when it comes to real world numbers. My brother has a 2015 F150 5.0 and he gets 16 on the highway.

I can tell you my F150 ecoboost 4x4 gets 19mpg on the highway hand calculated with the cruise set at 68. May not be a huge difference but it is a difference that caused me to buy one over the other.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/01/16 10:11 PM

I pulled a 19' boat to/from San Antonio to Choke canyon for 4 days straight and averaged a l4-15 mpg going 60-65 with a 5.3 chevy. Toyotas are what they are, but you don't get the power at no fuel expense.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/02/16 04:28 PM

Hmmm. My 2015 5.0 just town driving round trip Garland to Irving daily getting 18 running the Bush, last road trip it got 19. Now it just hit 10k so not sure if it will change but I'm happy with it. I even pulled my Triton to Grand Lake in Oklahoma back in October and got on average 17 it only had 5k miles on it then. I by no means baby one either. Nor do I let it set at idle very much.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/02/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 2015fordnut

Hmmm. My 2015 5.0 just town driving round trip Garland to Irving daily getting 18 running the Bush, last road trip it got 19. Now it just hit 10k so not sure if it will change but I'm happy with it. I even pulled my Triton to Grand Lake in Oklahoma back in October and got on average 17 it only had 5k miles on it then. I by no means baby one either. Nor do I let it set at idle very much.
4x4?
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/02/16 06:46 PM

2wd Tow Package with 3.55LS and locker.
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/22/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Incredible
I've got an 08 but not 4wd. Average I'd say 15mpg. I think your estimate is right on the lower end. The only time I've ever got 18 was 55-60mph for a full tank. That being said my next truck will be another Tundra. It's built like a tank, looks good, comfortable for all day driving, and I love it. I bought it knowing I'd get 15mpg and I'm ok with that.

Ditto all day long.
Posted By: thomas_z71

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/22/16 03:01 AM

Avg 13mpg on a 2012 CrewMax 4x4 leveled with slightly bigger than stock tires. No comparison in regards to cab room in the crewmax....absolutely love it.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/22/16 11:23 AM

Have you ever noticed when out in the bush in Africa or other remote places where there is no one to work on em all they drive is Toyota's. Wonder why? could it be because they are so dependable. I don't own one but wish I did.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/22/16 12:49 PM

I'm sure you spend more time in the African Bush than Rick Grimes. LOL! Sorry, still shocked at last night's episode of TWD. Anyway, it's too bad Americans don't care about reliability. We love to throw money at mechanics (that there is sarcasm if you missed it). I'll shut up now. flush_2

Re: Toyota Tundra - 02/22/16 01:57 PM

I also find it odd that the yotas you see in the African bush in now way whatsoever resemble the ones rolling around on the streets here.
Posted By: Samiam90

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/01/16 12:13 AM

I have a 2008 Tundra 4.0 (v6) i got it at a steal (family deal)and i do love it. But my fuel economy is probably about the same as the 5.7 when pulling my boat. I keep hearing about a possible Cummins powered Tundra. That is something i will jump on.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/01/16 01:27 PM

I believe if Toyota enters the on road diesel market in the US they are going to have to kiss a certain amount of the "LEGENDARY DEPENDABILITY" history goodbye, the emissions systems are problematic.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/03/16 01:13 PM

My dad gets about 16-17 in his 2WD extended cab with the towing package and 4.10 gears. Sounds like you can get a 20% bump in mpg just by sticking with 2WD and the smaller cab.
Posted By: dustman_stx

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/03/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I believe if Toyota enters the on road diesel market in the US they are going to have to kiss a certain amount of the "LEGENDARY DEPENDABILITY" history goodbye, the emissions systems are problematic.

I agree. Part of the reason that Toyota has such a great reliability record is because they don't seem to "push the envelope" as much as the big 3 do in terms of new engine tech. Toyota is running a big V8 that gets pretty lousy mileage to get the same type of performance the others are getting from much smaller engines with 20%+ better mileage. When you start adding new tech to increase output and fuel efficiency, there will be growing pains and issues to work through. If I was Toyota, I think I'd just continue trailing a decade or two behind on tech and continue using proven and time tested components and just maintain my reliability record. There is definitely a market out there for less cutting edge(drivetrains-wise) but more reliable trucks, as can be seen.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/03/16 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dustman_stx

I agree. Part of the reason that Toyota has such a great reliability record is because they don't seem to "push the envelope" as much as the big 3 do in terms of new engine tech. Toyota is running a big V8 that gets pretty lousy mileage to get the same type of performance the others are getting from much smaller engines with 20%+ better mileage. When you start adding new tech to increase output and fuel efficiency, there will be growing pains and issues to work through. If I was Toyota, I think I'd just continue trailing a decade or two behind on tech and continue using proven and time tested components and just maintain my reliability record. There is definitely a market out there for less cutting edge(drivetrains-wise) but more reliable trucks, as can be seen.
It is not just the engine technology but the higher gear ratios. Final drive ratios in Tundras are 3.91 to 4.30. Also from all the MPGs I have seen the Tundra gets much closer to the posted numbers that the others not counting diesels of course. Resale value will probably cover the difference in MPGs over 4 years.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/03/16 07:39 PM

The rear gear means next to nothing if you compare the rear gear as well as the transmission ratios there is very little difference amongst any of the trucks. The rear ends are mostly 4.1 and 4.3 in yota trucks the final drive ratio is a different.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/04/16 07:34 PM

It is not just the engine technology but the higher gear ratios. Final drive ratios in Tundras are 3.91 to 4.30. Also from all the MPGs I have seen the Tundra gets much closer to the posted numbers that the others not counting diesels of course. Resale value will probably cover the difference in MPGs over 4 years.

This isn't accurate. You are confusing "final drive ratio" with rear axle ratio. The final drive ratio is the multiplied tranny and rear axle ratios and is gear dependent. The Toyota with the 4.30 rear axle has almost identical final drive ratios in every gear as a Ford with 3.73 rear axle gears. This was a very clever marketing ploy by Toyota. Multitudes of people believe that a lower rear axle ratio equates to better towing performance- which was pretty much true in the old 3 speed and 4 speed with O/D trannies since pretty much all trannies had similar ratios at that time. Not so any more.
Posted By: Rubberdown

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/05/16 04:03 AM

My 08 gets 14ish with 35s and sittin a little higher. It's a 4.7. I wish I had the 5.7. I'd never sell it then.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/06/16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Rubberdown
My 08 gets 14ish with 35s and sittin a little higher. It's a 4.7.

Yeah, sure it does.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/06/16 11:06 PM

Sorry man, that's what it gets highway. That being said I drive like an old man. With the 35s it doesn't go if you hit the gas so there is no point. If you're in traffic I don't have any idea. Same for towing my Ranger. It's bad enough that I have made a point to never look.

*Edit* Technically they are 34.5s. (315/70/17). Also I don't have the tow package. I dunno if that helps or hurts

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/07/16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Rubberdown
Sorry man, that's what it gets highway. That being said I drive like an old man. With the 35s it doesn't go if you hit the gas so there is no point. If you're in traffic I don't have any idea. Same for towing my Ranger. It's bad enough that I have made a point to never look.

*Edit* Technically they are 34.5s. (315/70/17). Also I don't have the tow package. I dunno if that helps or hurts
hurts because tow packages usually come with a higher ratio. Tundra have 3 different rear end ratios

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/07/16 06:20 PM

With 35" tires I bet the higher gear ratio helps more than it hurts.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/07/16 10:24 PM

A truck that struggles to pull its-self is not getting 14mpg with 35" tires. I guess if he's rolling down hill in neutral he might get 14mpg, not going 70mph though. I often wonder if people know that bigger tires changes their speedometer readings.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/08/16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
A truck that struggles to pull its-self is not getting 14mpg with 35" tires. I guess if he's rolling down hill in neutral he might get 14mpg, not going 70mph though. I often wonder if people know that bigger tires changes their speedometer readings.

After reading this forum, several others, and talking to people I know many are clueless, clueless I tell you.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/08/16 06:08 PM

After reading this forum, several others, and talking to people I know many are clueless, clueless I tell you.
absolutely, people do not even realize that their odometer is also off and adjust when calculating MPGs
Posted By: gander

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/08/16 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
My dad gets about 16-17 in his 2WD extended cab with the towing package and 4.10 gears. Sounds like you can get a 20% bump in mpg just by sticking with 2WD and the smaller cab.
Does he have the 5.7?...if so should be 4:30 with tow package...4.6 with tow is 4:10.... I have never seen the 5.7 with tow pkg that didnt have 4:30...I could be wrong though

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/08/16 10:58 PM

When I was looking 4.3 was part of the towing package with the 5.7.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/09/16 02:07 AM

Best of luck to you OP! Sounds like you will get all sorts of help from the experts on this board.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/09/16 12:52 PM

Over the last 10 are 12 years, my wife and I have had 2 4runners, a FJ cruiser, and 2 Tundras. Right now we have Tundra and a new HIghlander. During that time, not one of these vehicles have been in the shop for repairs, only maintenance. Not one time.

That is why I drive a Toyota. I know it does not squeeze the last mpg out of a gallon. It does not have all the whiz bang accessories others do. In fact, most Toyotas are verging on old school and that is alright with me as long as I know it will not leave me stranded or force me to put it in the shop for days or weeks. I am in the market for a new truck soon and it will be an "old school" Tundra.
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/09/16 03:09 PM

I pulled a 19' boat to/from San Antonio to Choke canyon for 4 days straight and averaged a l4-15 mpg going 60-65 with a 5.3 chevy. Toyotas are what they are, but you don't get the power at no fuel expense.

how did you manage that? I get 10-11 mpg TOPS when pulling my 19'6 Center Console with my 2015 Chevy doing 70-75 mph

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/09/16 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

how did you manage that? I get 10-11 mpg TOPS when pulling my 19'6 Center Console with my 2015 Chevy doing 70-75 mph

70-75 is your problem. Increasing speed greatly increases wind resistance and decreases economy. I drove 60-65 no cruise control and I didn't race anyone getting up to speed. It was almost 100% highway driving with the boat as well. I live less than a 1/4 mile off the hwy and the lake is on a hwy. I did it for 2-3 tanks of fuel hand calculated every one of them. No you cant just hook the boat up and drive it like you want to and expect to do it.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/09/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: HasBen
Over the last 10 are 12 years, my wife and I have had 2 4runners, a FJ cruiser, and 2 Tundras. Right now we have Tundra and a new HIghlander. During that time, not one of these vehicles have been in the shop for repairs, only maintenance. Not one time.

That is why I drive a Toyota. I know it does not squeeze the last mpg out of a gallon. It does not have all the whiz bang accessories others do. In fact, most Toyotas are verging on old school and that is alright with me as long as I know it will not leave me stranded or force me to put it in the shop for days or weeks. I am in the market for a new truck soon and it will be an "old school" Tundra.
some complain about the price along with the mpgs but add in the extra cost for an extended warranty on the others plus resale value and you will come out ahead on a Toyota even with fuel spend.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/09/16 06:46 PM

I get about 14 when I pull my 17' fiberglass bass boat at 70-75 with my 2004 Silverado 5.3 with the 4-speed.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/10/16 03:18 PM

What MPG whizzes. I had a 2005 Ford with a 4.6 V8 and it got 11 pulling the boat and now have a 2012 Ford V6 and it gets 12.5 pulling that boat. I drive 60 MPH and pull a 22' aluminum boat.
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/11/16 03:03 PM

My 5.4 f-150 with 34's got 12-13 mpg on avg mixed city/highway. Best I ever got was 15 mpg when I drove from here to cedar creek and never stopped.

Put an avg TFF poster behind the wheel and I bet they could squeeze an extra 2 mpg outta it though.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/11/16 03:12 PM

My 5.4 f-150 with 34's got 12-13 mpg on avg mixed city/highway. Best I ever got was 15 mpg when I drove from here to cedar creek and never stopped.

Put an avg TFF poster behind the wheel and I bet they could squeeze an extra 2 mpg outta it though.

Does your chevy have stock size tire on it? Any other modifications, bumpers, side steps etc?

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/12/16 04:35 AM

Well since we are totally off topic. My F350 6.7 gets an amazing 12.6 mpg with 35's. splat
Posted By: pagemaster

Re: Toyota Tundra - 03/12/16 08:37 PM

Had a 2014 crew max 4x4 5.7 best that it would get towing a 20i skeeter was 11mpg. Went to the 2015 ram eco diesel and towed the same boat. averaging
about 18mpg. 18.3 mpg towing from Amarillo to Table Rock. Oil changes are a bit expensive. Love the truck.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/10/16 07:09 PM

You want the truth. Well here it is. I have an 07 SR5 with a 5.7 (First year they made the big tundra's) 241,000 miles and I have replaced the starter, two batteries, and just slapped my 4th set of tires on it at 222,000 (avg. about 75 K per set) Never had an alignment, never had shocks, NOTHING and the thing still is a "tight" truck". I would say at least 50-70 K are with a 21 foot bass boat behind it (NO transmission issues!!) 2 brake jobs (every 100,000)

It get 16.5 MPG just like it did when I drove it off the lot. No worse, no better. It gets 10-11 MPG with the boat behind it, no worse, no better. Every stinking thing works in that truck except the driver side actuator on the power door locks. There are no broken knobs, no tears in the leather seats, no cracked dashes, etc. The paint is finally starting to show its age but at this point, who cares. I have driven the BIG 3 and have put over 150,000 on all of them, but between water pumps, transmissions, alternators, fuel pumps, broken knobs, and constant maintenance, they are all inferior to the Yota. I will NEVER own anything else after driving this truck. Every time I start that truck, it is making me money. And I like that. Oh, and it is still worth 1500-2000 dollars more than any of the big 3 with the same miles. So take your extra 4-5 MPG, and I will make sure I wave at ya when I am headed to the lake and you are handing the guy $3000 at Big Ed's transmission service.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/10/16 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
You want the truth. Well here it is. I have an 07 SR5 with a 5.7 (First year they made the big tundra's) 241,000 miles and I have replaced the starter, two batteries, and just slapped my 4th set of tires on it at 222,000 (avg. about 75 K per set) Never had an alignment, never had shocks, NOTHING and the thing still is a "tight" truck". I would say at least 50-70 K are with a 21 foot bass boat behind it (NO transmission issues!!) 2 brake jobs (every 100,000)

It get 16.5 MPG just like it did when I drove it off the lot. No worse, no better. It gets 10-11 MPG with the boat behind it, no worse, no better. Every stinking thing works in that truck except the driver side actuator on the power door locks. There are no broken knobs, no tears in the leather seats, no cracked dashes, etc. The paint is finally starting to show its age but at this point, who cares. I have driven the BIG 3 and have put over 150,000 on all of them, but between water pumps, transmissions, alternators, fuel pumps, broken knobs, and constant maintenance, they are all inferior to the Yota. I will NEVER own anything else after driving this truck. Every time I start that truck, it is making me money. And I like that. Oh, and it is still worth 1500-2000 dollars more than any of the big 3 with the same miles. So take your extra 4-5 MPG, and I will make sure I wave at ya when I am headed to the lake and you are handing the guy $3000 at Big Ed's transmission service.

Have owned several GM vehicles that fit that same description... I don't see why that makes the yota so special. Have an '06 Tahoe with 200k on it. I think the only thing we have had to do to it is a water pump. Its not a dedicated tow vehicle but occasionally tows a boat flat bed and even the TT a time or two and sees 40 miles of stop and go bumper to bumper every day. It still has the factory original plugs and they need to be changed.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/11/16 04:25 AM

Never said it was special, just the best truck I have ever owned from my own personal experience with them all. To each their own, no one ever wins this argument, just saying I will give up the 4-5 mpg for less headaches down the road.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/11/16 01:38 PM

The big problem is that many that are clueless don't realize they're clueless and attempt to speak with authority. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a Toyota owner touting the 4.30 gears in their Tundra as being SO GREAT for towing. They don't realize that the tranny ratio is different in the Tundra making that almost identical to a Ford with 3.73's.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/11/16 06:26 PM

Funny...............tranny ratio.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/12/16 12:46 PM

The above proves my earlier point exactly. Are you not aware that each transmission gear has a ratio that is multiplied by the rear axle ratio for a final drive ratio? If you take the time to look it up, you'll see that an F150 with 3.73's has a final drive ratio in every gear that is almost identical to the Tundra with 4.30 gears.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/12/16 01:09 PM

Couldn't resist. Here are the tranny ratios and final drive ratios:

Ford F150 3.73 axle: tranny/final

1-4.17/15.55 2-2.34/8.73 3-1.52/5.67 4-1.14/4.25 5-.86/3.21 6-.69/2.57

Tundra 4.30 axle:

1-3.33/14.32 2-1.96/8.43 3-1.35/5.81 4-1.00/4.30 5-.73/3.14 6-.59/2.54

So, as you can see, a Ford with 3.73 gears actually has a lower final drive ratio in 1,2,5 and 6 than a Tundra with 4.30s.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/12/16 04:49 PM

Dustman, I know exactly what you are saying. I was not laughing at your gearing expertise. I was laughing in general, as in " the tranny ratio is probably higher in San Francisco than in Dallas". Just showing my immaturity I guess.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/12/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: GeoFisher
Dustman, I know exactly what you are saying. I was not laughing at your gearing expertise. I was laughing in general, as in " the tranny ratio is probably higher in San Francisco than in Dallas". Just showing my immaturity I guess.

My bad!!!! The joys of communicating through text, right!
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/12/16 05:58 PM

2015 Tundra 5.7 here. 10-11 mpg pulling a '97 Champion, 16-18 mpg HWY depending on speed (70-72 is the sweet spot for 18 mpg), and 13-14 mpg stop and go. Don't get a smaller motor...you can always ease off it too much horsepower. You can't push it down any further if the horsepower just isnt there. I don't want to get ran over in this crazy DFW traffic.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/12/16 08:43 PM

Yeah Dan-O, that is dead on with my experience with my OLD 07 model. If you want to pull the boat between 55-60 mph, you can squeeze out 13 MPG, I have done it. And yes, there is a sweet spot at 70-72 on highway. Mine is dead on at 18 MPG at those speeds as well. I drove mine to Vegas a few years back and it will get very close to 20 on long stretches if you keep it around 64-65, but when the speed limit says 80 MPH on I-40 between Albuquerque and Vegas, its awfully hard to go 65.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/13/16 09:58 AM

The above proves my earlier point exactly. Are you not aware that each transmission gear has a ratio that is multiplied by the rear axle ratio for a final drive ratio? If you take the time to look it up, you'll see that an F150 with 3.73's has a final drive ratio in every gear that is almost identical to the Tundra with 4.30 gears.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. My dad's 2013 Tundra pulls with less strain than any Chevy half ton I've ever owned or any Ford half ton I've ever been in. Even with their bumper pull, it doesn't downshift or lose speed on hills and you can comfortably go 75 mph with no issues or worries. Wonder why that is, if the gears aren't the difference?

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/13/16 12:40 PM

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. My dad's 2013 Tundra pulls with less strain than any Chevy half ton I've ever owned or any Ford half ton I've ever been in. Even with their bumper pull, it doesn't downshift or lose speed on hills and you can comfortably go 75 mph with no issues or worries. Wonder why that is, if the gears aren't the difference?

What year models/engines are you comparing?

The 5.7 has always made 381 hp and 401 lbft torque. GM's 5.3 for much of the same time period made 275-355 hp and 320ish-383 torque. Also the 5.7 is a larger displacement engine and will produce a higher percentage of it peak power at comparable lower rpm's. Same holds true for the Ford 5.0 although im not that familiar with their specs. I also tend to believe some over inflate how easily the tundra does stuff and how hard others work etc. Ive diven tundras, they are good trucks but too thirsty for me when all the others will do the same job and return much better economy.

I didn't even get 18 mpg out of the 4.0 v-6 2wd single cab 6 speed tundra I drove.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/13/16 02:03 PM

I can only imagine which trucks he's actually been in.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/13/16 02:57 PM

The Tundra 5.7 has produced more power than the typical V8 offerings from Ford and GM. Ford and GM use smaller and more efficient engines than the Tundra. Also, you'll notice that it is the 3.73 gear set that is on par with the Toyota's 4.30, yet many Ford and GM trucks use 3.55 or higher gears, once again, for efficiency reasons. If you'll compare that 5.7 to a Ford EB with 3.55 or lower gears or a GM 6.2, you'll sing a completely different tune. And both will still get better mileage that the Tundra. That's not to say the Tundra doesn't still have some pros going for it when it comes to it's drivetrain. It is a less complex setup than either of those 2. (I'm thinking the 6.2 GM uses cylinder deactivation, but if not, it would be on par complexity-wise)
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/14/16 11:43 AM

My new one is "thirsty"....but it's been awesome in front of my boat. No complaints. Whatsoever.

Except the air comes on in recirculate mode......every time.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/14/16 01:09 PM

It does that to draw the hot air out of the cab! scared
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/16/16 01:21 PM

If the mechanics don't get my diesel issues sorted out, the Ram is going to be gone. I believe I have narrowed it down to either a Tundra or a GMC in the gas burner variety. I've bought my last Ford....

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/16/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat
If the mechanics don't get my diesel issues sorted out, the Ram is going to be gone. I believe I have narrowed it down to either a Tundra or a GMC in the gas burner variety. I've bought my last Ford....
You thinking 5.3 or 6.2 GMC?

My dad's Tundra 5.7 is great, but it is thirsty. The new GMCs are awesome, and I think you can get some decent mpg.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/16/16 02:19 PM

You're going to miss that diesel.

Re: Toyota Tundra - 05/16/16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat

Have you taken it to the dealer yet? I wouldn't kick the cummins to the curb over a set of injectors or a fuel pump. That truck will run for ever with good maintenance, your finally to the point where your getting your moneys worth out of it keep driving it. On that 6.7 maintenance shouldn't be that bad.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum