Texas Fishing Forum

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed

Posted By: Ricky Taylor

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/12/15 04:04 AM

I'm looking to get a new (to me) truck.
My price range is $15k-$18k.
I've been looking, and the 6.0 seems like the best fit for my budget to where I can still get a "low mileage" crew cab 4x4. I've seen 6.0L's in my price range with 140k-175k and that is what I'd have to deal with.
When I get one I will be doing all the "fixin" on it as far as the EGR Delete, oil cooler, head gasket, and studs (bullet proof kit).
Anyways, any/all opinions bad and good would be appreciated!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/12/15 04:14 AM

From what I hear it's a crapsshoot, some love them and some hate them. At least you know the potential problems going into your purchase.
Posted By: Rugby55

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/12/15 07:24 AM

Try doing some research on the Diesel Forum.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

When I was looking for F250's about the same price, I did research there and found that the 6.0 seems to have a lot of problems. I know you said you would do all of the fixin's but still, it is a good place to find out what others have gone through. Just remember that the diesel forum is like all forums, including this one - some folks are very knowledgeable and others think they are knowledgeable but aren't. Good luck.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/14/15 02:42 PM

From my understanding if you do the deletes they are great pickups.

Something I don't know is what the effects are of doing the deletes at 175k miles, is there damage that has already been done?

My uncle has one he bought used with 20k miles on it. It has about 150k now and other than batteries and other self inflicted issues he hasn't had any problems.
Posted By: DieselP2

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/15/15 12:42 AM

Ricky, the 6.0 is a great engine overall but it has some flaws. If you can find one for a reasonable price built by a reputable diesel technician then you will have a great truck. Your price range is what will hinder you. It will put you in the 125 - 200k mile range which is where things start to fail. Could be as simple as a set of injectors or a possible failed lifter roller/camshaft lobe damage. I would suggest finding a reputable diesel tech and have them checkout the truck before buying. Usual cost is about 100$ a vehicle. My typical inspections include a 15 mile roadtest with a scan tool installed. During the roadtest we will monitor turbo performance (boost), possible egr cooler/oil cooler restriction, ficm performance, cylinder contribution/power balance (injector performance) and lastly a relative compression test. A visual inspection will be performed of lights, tires, brakes, fluid leaks etc. I can also provide you with all ford warranty history on the vehicle. Lastly an estimate to update or repair the vehicle as needed. My daily driver/ tow rig is a 06 F250 studded/deleted/programmed that tows the boat every weekend. Hope this will help you to make an informed decision about your purchase.

Wesley Srianekkul
Ford Senior Master Gasoline/Diesel Technician
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/15/15 06:22 PM

First thing I'd do is make sure that golden goo was drained out of the radiator and replaced with a different kind of antifreeze. Second thing I'd do is go buy a 5.9l cummins instead.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/15/15 07:48 PM

Its not like buying a 5.9 cummins guarantees you a good truck... been there done that! Diesels are high maintenance if the maintenance has been neglected they are costly.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/15/15 08:01 PM

From the coolant, to the EGR valve, to the oil cooler and the head studs, the 6.0l had too many things going against it. It's a piecemeal engine that has a poor reputation. That's why they're cheap.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/15/15 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DieselP2
Ricky, the 6.0 is a great engine overall but it has some flaws. If you can find one for a reasonable price built by a reputable diesel technician then you will have a great truck. Your price range is what will hinder you. It will put you in the 125 - 200k mile range which is where things start to fail. Could be as simple as a set of injectors or a possible failed lifter roller/camshaft lobe damage. I would suggest finding a reputable diesel tech and have them checkout the truck before buying. Usual cost is about 100$ a vehicle. My typical inspections include a 15 mile roadtest with a scan tool installed. During the roadtest we will monitor turbo performance (boost), possible egr cooler/oil cooler restriction, ficm performance, cylinder contribution/power balance (injector performance) and lastly a relative compression test. A visual inspection will be performed of lights, tires, brakes, fluid leaks etc. I can also provide you with all ford warranty history on the vehicle. Lastly an estimate to update or repair the vehicle as needed. My daily driver/ tow rig is a 06 F250 studded/deleted/programmed that tows the boat every weekend. Hope this will help you to make an informed decision about your purchase.

Wesley Srianekkul
Ford Senior Master Gasoline/Diesel Technician

Thank You for the feedback, are you mobile? Could I pay you extra to come to the location of the deal or would I have to bring it to you?
Posted By: DieselP2

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/16/15 02:35 AM

Pm sent
Posted By: ringer

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/21/15 07:34 PM

I would say to run. I bought a brand new 2004 f250 with the 6.0. Had two EGR failures in warranty. At 125000 miles the headgaskets blew. Had new ARP studs, new HG, Bulletproof cooler, new serpentine belt. Another 10000 miles and the oil cooler and fuel pump went out. At 150000 miles the headgaskets leaked again and that was after $14500 in a year for repairs. They told me another $10000 for the work so I sold it running 3 years ago for $7500. A ton of people had the same experience that I did. Never again.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke Discussion & Opinions Needed - 12/22/15 10:11 PM

The 6.7 is the way to go I know its out of your range but your range should increase some with the few grand its gonna cost doing deletes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum