Texas Fishing Forum

U bolts on Leaf springs

Posted By: LukeAnderson

U bolts on Leaf springs - 10/21/15 03:03 AM

How do you know if you need new leaf springs for your trailer? Any advice helps.
Posted By: Bazztex

Re: U bolts on Leaf springs - 10/21/15 05:20 AM

Normally springs should only be replaced if they are not strong enough to keep the load stable or if they are cracked. If your trailer bounces a lot going down the road you should check to see if the springs bottom out when you push down on the sides of the boat.

Is it a home built trailer or brand name made for the boat you have on it?

If the trailer is not the one that came with the boat from the dealer what is the weight of the boat empty?

What Max Weight are the trailer & axle/axles rated to carry 2 wheel or 4 wheels? There should be a small metal placard near the tongue with the Max load rating, usually on the left side as you face forward.

Have you added a larger gas tank, shad tank/ live well or extra batteries to the boat?
Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: U bolts on Leaf springs - 10/21/15 12:03 PM

I usually replace my springs and hardware every 4-5 years.
Posted By: MV

Re: U bolts on Leaf springs - 11/01/15 02:14 AM

check your shackles too
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: U bolts on Leaf springs - 11/30/15 12:56 PM

I wouldn't wait until the spring cracks. It happened to me and I was stranded at the lake. Luckily this gentleman let's me use his lot overnight while I went to get new springs. The springs are easy to change out. Won't take long. I've bought stronger springs for my trailer since the manufacturer installed the basic ones. The springs are what hold your axles together. If they cracked you are a sitting duck on the road. Replace them when you think they're bad.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum