Texas Fishing Forum

Knock sensor code

Posted By: kingdad101

Knock sensor code - 05/13/15 12:20 AM

me 2004 5.3 Chev just threw a po332 code..knock sensor.. I looked at videos of replacing and doesn't look ALL that hard..any tips or what to look for... DIY..??
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/13/15 09:33 PM

From searching around it looks like the intake has to come off. Just make sure you have all the needed tools and gaskets. Plenty of videos and forums out there from what I searched to help you do it. That is if you are mechincally inclined. If not it may be best to have someone else do it.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/13/15 10:01 PM

There are 2 knock sensors under the intake. Replace both of them and get a new harness. Water usually gets in under the rubber covers. When replacing them, use some silicone to help seal the covers. Not that hard....

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/14/15 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery
From searching around it looks like the intake has to come off. Just make sure you have all the needed tools and gaskets. Plenty of videos and forums out there from what I searched to help you do it. That is if you are mechincally inclined. If not it may be best to have someone else do it.

thanks..I'm not so worried about my mechanical ability, but they are saying around 450.00 to do the job and looks like if I buy the parts, they will be around 300.00+ (plus what ever a inch pound torque wrench will cost) makes me wonder if saving the 150.00, plus not having any warranty, was worth it
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/14/15 02:03 PM

If that's the savings I would have someone else do it.

On the other hand I think you must be calculating something wrong if your savings is only 150 and you have to pull the intake.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/14/15 08:09 PM

If you are looking at buying an inch pound torque wrench, and only saving $150, I think it is a no brainer. let the shop do it. Then they will have to take care of any problems.

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/14/15 08:23 PM

redchevy... you are right..the COST I was using was what they say GM parts cost..I can get the knock sensors and wiring harness for 140.00 and FelPro gaskets are 50.00.....going with after market seems like I save 260.00...I was worrying about all the plastic connections , that 'might' break from all the heat they have endured..
My luck is, I normally break at least one plastic something...guess I'll give it a try ....Thanks
Posted By: Yellowcat

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/15/15 02:10 AM

Its not that hard to pull the intake on those engines. Use fel pro gaskets (they are metal frame with rubber molded to them. Not plastic like the gm gaskets are. Use factory knock sensors and dorman knock sensor harness. Put a 1/4"-3/8" bead of silicone infront of each knock sensor on the raised part of the top cover to make a half circle to dam water to make go around the knock sensor instead of going in on top of it. You will see what i mean by the raised part of the cover. Its a circle where the knock sensor is at. The added silicone dam just makes more height to block water better.

Re: Knock sensor code - 05/23/15 12:16 AM

well I decided to take it in..470.16 later the CEL comes on again...go back and he says its a defective front sensor, so they get to do it again..makes me wonder if he really changed both or just the rear one,although I got charged for both......glad I didn't have to pull that intake again if it was a defect....

Re: Knock sensor code - 06/11/15 07:18 PM

this is not fun anymore..4 different knocks sensors , 2 sets of harness wires along with all the wires and connectors out to the ECM , and a new ECM..
CEL still comes on after about 20 miles, and throws the same codes..po327 one time, then po332...we are going to try AC Delco knock sensor, instead of aftermarket, and see if that helps...
Posted By: Yellowcat

Re: Knock sensor code - 06/12/15 01:49 AM

Thats strange. But just a word of wisdom for the next time around on a job like this its foolish to not use factory knock sensors. Aftermarket wiring harness is ok but not aftermarket knock sensors.

On the other hand a good shop can determine what is going on!

Re: Knock sensor code - 06/12/15 02:07 AM

this shop seems to have all the tools to check things,,he ohmed all the connections and replace the wiring anyway when he put the new ECM in..we are going back with factory knockers next week..Good news is he is not charging me anything for all the do overs...he seems to be on a mission now...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum