Texas Fishing Forum

Ford echo boost

Posted By: Concept Guy

Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 08:00 PM

Just want to let you guys know that I have friends that fish on tour that have the Ford ecoboost and absolutely love it! I work for Ford and am here to answer any questions I can for you.
Thanks
Steve-

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 08:01 PM

That was suppose to be Eco-boost. Darn word fill.
Posted By: Z521-SHO

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 09:45 PM

I have a 2012 F150 with ECO boost. It gets 18 driving intown back and forth to work. 22-24 on the road with No Load.
However, pulling a Ranger Z-521 with a wind or without, it goes down to 9 mpg. Yes, 9. Any adjustments to the turbo or suggestions ?
Love the truck but cant afford the tow...
Appreciate any input you may be able to get?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 09:52 PM

How are you calculating the fuel mileage and what are your driving habits?

Speed?
Cruse control?
Acceleration?

I doubt your getting 22-24 empty unless your driving 55-60 mph on flat ground and you must have a heck of a boat or drive the pizz out of it to get 9 towing.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 09:58 PM

Calculating the fuel mileage from the average mpg display on the instruments. I have a platinim series and it has real nice gauges.
Speed avg. is 70
Cruise - not usually when towing, i was scared it would drag it further down.
Normal acceleration. No head popping take offs.
22-24 average across 4 trips to Tulsa and back.
22-24 average across 2 trips to Rayburn and back , not pulling my boat.
Gotta be a fix for this?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 10:17 PM

That 9mpg sounds like everyone else that tows with that motor. Part of having small displacement and twin turbos. It has to stay in the turbo to pull.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 10:24 PM

I would think someone else would have ran across this and developed a performance chip or something to compensate for the turbo's working so hard.
I am a Chevy guy of over 40 years, and i will say this is the nicest, quietest, best driving truck, that will outrun just about any truck i have been in before with no load. With a load, it still performs great for passing, running down the road, but that gas guage is like a clock ticking when you have that big Ranger behind it.
Posted By: SuperG

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/04/13 11:40 PM

Ecoboost is great but my old 5.4 3v tows my boat just fine and with an average of 12MPG.
Posted By: TITANIUM-BACK

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 01:11 AM

Im with SuperG... 5.4 is one of the best gas work engines we ever had in our fleet at work. Not trying to be a rude person but the eco- boost don't impress me from a person of my field. Ok motor but don't think its all that.
Posted By: hobgood12

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 02:44 AM

Funniest thing I have read all night......2012 Platinum Ford, Ranger Z-521 and can't afford the gas bill for towing!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 02:50 AM

Fishinguy, you know diesels too or just gassers?
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: hobgood12
Funniest thing I have read all night......2012 Platinum Ford, Ranger Z-521 and can't afford the gas bill for towing!

I couldn't either if I had those two.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Kat-man-do

I couldn't either if I had those two.

Yeah it is kinda funny, guess it's one of those oxymorons they taught us back in school? $55k truck, $60k boat; but damn the $0.38 a mile gas is the straw that breaks the camels back. Too funny, but I will admit I can't afford the boat & truck combo. cheers
Posted By: TLW

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 10:19 AM

Ya'll a little "quick ta judge" don't ya think! Takin' care of little things like that over 40 ta 50 years just might be tha reason he has those kinda toys now. Maybe, maybe not but....
Posted By: tds

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 01:28 PM

have a 2013 eco boost and it gets 14.5 +/- pulling 19' center console about 50 miles. does not live in turbo unless long hill.
I like the truck alot.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Z521-SHO
Calculating the fuel mileage from the average mpg display on the instruments. I have a platinim series and it has real nice gauges.
Speed avg. is 70
Cruise - not usually when towing, i was scared it would drag it further down.
Normal acceleration. No head popping take offs.
22-24 average across 4 trips to Tulsa and back.
22-24 average across 2 trips to Rayburn and back , not pulling my boat.
Gotta be a fix for this?

I don't care what kind of gauges you have, the only way to figure fuel mileage is to:

1)fill truck up
2)drive
3)fill truck back up
4)divide # miles traveled by # gallons required to fill.

If you do this I think you will find that you get neither 24 MPG on the highway empty or 9 MPG towing your boat. Your hwy miles will likely be a little worse and towing a little better. Most non turbo v-6 half ton truck wont make 24 on the hwy empty and a turbo is just gonna make it harder to do.

matt

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 02:15 PM

Didnt mean to start a 'Haters' group!
I am 58 yo, starting fishing in a 16' jon boat with 10hp. Sears motor. Took one helluva long time and hard work to finally get a dream rig set-up.
Didnt say i couldnt afford the gas. Just asking if anyone else has this problem and if so, did you know of a cure or issue.
You boys are tough!

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 02:30 PM

The 14-15 mpg is the average I'm receiving when towing.
A lot depends on the fuel and habits you have.
Mid grade is great.
The instant mpg on the screens is not your overall avg.
Do a trip with a full tank. It now displays all four areas of use.
Gallons used.
Exact miles driven.
Time.
Mpg avg.
Remember, I'm not a certified Ford mechanic. But I am a Master Certified consultant for Ford.
Feel free to call me.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:07 PM

i have a 2012 eco bosst gets 13.5 towing 20 foot bass boat at 70. and 21-22 not towing on the freeway. 18-19 pure city driving.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:09 PM

That's why it's good. I love that motor
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcat85
i have a 2012 eco bosst gets 13.5 towing 20 foot bass boat at 70. and 21-22 not towing on the freeway. 18-19 pure city driving.

This is pretty much what I am getting too. I've only had the truck for about 6 months and have 16,000 miles on it though.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:24 PM

They start getting even better around 20 k
Takes longer to brake in because they are balance and have closer tolerances.
Synthetics.
Keep in mind guys. I make incredible deals on these trucks.
So call me if I can help.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: bigcat85

This is pretty much what I am getting too. I've only had the truck for about 6 months and have 16,000 miles on it though.

mine is one year old with a little over 31000. for sale in the classifides by the way.
Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/05/13 07:00 PM

DO NOT use your computer to brag about gas mileage on any new vehicle these days. The odds of your computer being accurate compared to doing the proven hand calculation are slim to none.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/06/13 01:59 AM

Towed a 25' enclosed motorcycle trailer from Colorado to Georgia, moderate load, at reasonable freeway speeds. Kept pretty good records for a business on gas mileage. Almost broke 9mpg.
Posted By: SuperG

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/07/13 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: nitro777
DO NOT use your computer to brag about gas mileage on any new vehicle these days. The odds of your computer being accurate compared to doing the proven hand calculation are slim to none.
I only hand calculate mileage. Besides my old truck doesn't have those fancy mileage computation thingys. lol
Posted By: BrushHogJr

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/07/13 03:12 PM

I have a 2012 FX2 Ecoboost and I pull a 19' BassCat with it and my results are pretty much the same as above.
Here is the difference between this truck and the rest>>>The Ecoboost pulls like a diesel. No huff, no puff, no gear switching. Put on cruise on non hilly terrain or lock out 6th on hilly terrain. It is a beast thru out the torque curve.
Hands down the best truck with or without a boat behind it I have ever owned.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/08/13 02:29 PM

Your right Nitro. That's why I said to use the mileage and gallons used calculator.
Posted By: numbersguy

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/11/13 02:52 PM

I am currently looking at Ford Trucks but have not pulled the trigger as yet. I am trying to decide if I want the ecoboost or go with the small V8. I have had good reports about both but am trying to filter out the mis-information that you normally get from current owners. I currently have a small chevy V-8 that in my opinion does not pull my z-21 Ranger as it should. Any help would be appreciated.
I can go either way on the new truck but I want something that will pull the boat without changing gears all of the time and where I don't have to stop at every corner gas station.
Posted By: tds

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/11/13 08:14 PM

Numbersguy, I was in the same place as you for the last 6 months. finally went with f150 and eco. Not at all disappointed and would do it again.

terry
Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/12/13 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: numbersguy
I am currently looking at Ford Trucks but have not pulled the trigger as yet. I am trying to decide if I want the ecoboost or go with the small V8. I have had good reports about both but am trying to filter out the mis-information that you normally get from current owners. I currently have a small chevy V-8 that in my opinion does not pull my z-21 Ranger as it should. Any help would be appreciated.
I can go either way on the new truck but I want something that will pull the boat without changing gears all of the time and where I don't have to stop at every corner gas station.

Hey numbersguy

I just made the same switch you are about to. I had a '09 Chevy with the 5.3 V8 and just recently bought a F150 with the EcoBoost. Night and day difference. The EcoBoost is going to give you the results you want, since it has 420 ft/lbs of torque below 2,500 RPMS, its torque curve is much like a diesel. I only had a 18.5 ft boat but since you have a 21 ft. I would say Eco all the way.
Posted By: 0311

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/13/13 02:55 PM

I have two diesel trucks and normally pull with them but I have a Z-8 and pulled it with my work truck it is a 2011 F 150 eco boost it gets 15 MPG not pulling anything, no idea what gas milage is pulling and dont really care. I also have a hummer H3 with the 5.3 V8 and it pulls much better than the eco boost. IMO the eco boost is only a good truck to drive around town not for pulling or any kind of work it is basicly a guy mini van just in a truck body. It is a great womans truck. Ihe eco boost is fords broke back mountain edition of the F 150. IMO

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/13/13 02:59 PM

Go with the v-8 come tow your boat with my eco boost it sucks I also had the f 150 with a 5.4 liter v8, much better. If you want to borrow my truck to pull your boat just PM me and have at it. The eco boost is probally faster if you raced them but V8 pulls better and I really did not have any problems with either truck.
Originally Posted By: Fordfishingguy
Your right Nitro. That's why I said to use the mileage and gallons used calculator.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/13/13 03:03 PM

I have a 2011 diesel ford F250 and a 2008 diesel dodge 2500 and your eco boost will not even come close to pulling what they will you cant compair the two I also have a eco boost so I know
Originally Posted By: HOU Razorback

Hey numbersguy

I just made the same switch you are about to. I had a '09 Chevy with the 5.3 V8 and just recently bought a F150 with the EcoBoost. Night and day difference. The EcoBoost is going to give you the results you want, since it has 420 ft/lbs of torque below 2,500 RPMS, its torque curve is much like a diesel. I only had a 18.5 ft boat but since you have a 21 ft. I would say Eco all the way.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/13/13 10:19 PM

You must have POS 0311, I was passed by an Eco boost running 80+ pulling a 16' flatbed loaded with 4 wheelers and hunting junk out on IH 10 during hunting season. I'm sure my 05 Cummins could pull more but his truck wasn't having any issues at all, maybe you have one of the sissy rear ends, 3.31?

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/14/13 12:02 AM

It must have been on a long down hill streach,They dont put good gears for towing in a half ton truck, and an eco boost only comes in half ton. Anyone who tows with a V6 must not pull very heavy or often or you will buy new turbo's and a new transmission. It could pull it that fast but it would be at a high RPM and your turbo always has to kick in and you will be under 10 MPG. But to each his own It is better than a ranger I guess.
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
You must have POS 0311, I was passed by an Eco boost running 80+ pulling a 16' flatbed loaded with 4 wheelers and hunting junk out on IH 10 during hunting season. I'm sure my 05 Cummins could pull more but his truck wasn't having any issues at all, maybe you have one of the sissy rear ends, 3.31?

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/15/13 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: 0311
I have a 2011 diesel ford F250 and a 2008 diesel dodge 2500 and your eco boost will not even come close to pulling what they will you cant compair the two I also have a eco boost so I know

Hey numbersguy

First, I NEVER compared the pulling power of a diesel and an ecoboost. All I said was the torque curve was like a diesel, which it is.

Also, I had the 5.3 V8 in my Silverado, and while it was a great engine, it can not hold a candle to the ecoboost. The 5.3 V8 would have to be a 5,000 plus RPM to even get close to the power the ecoboost is making at 2,000 RPM.

Also, you must have the crappiest ecoboost ever, or something wrong with it. You put 3.55 (or even 3.73 gears) in one and it will smoke just about any 1/2 ton V8 empty or pulling.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/15/13 04:03 PM

Anyone who tows with a V6 must not pull very heavy or often or you will buy new turbo's and a new transmission.

You do know your 08 Cummins is a 6 cylinder with turbos right?

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/15/13 04:46 PM

I have two diesel trucks and normally pull with them but I have a Z-8 and pulled it with my work truck it is a 2011 F 150 eco boost it gets 15 MPG not pulling anything, no idea what gas milage is pulling and dont really care. I also have a hummer H3 with the 5.3 V8 and it pulls much better than the eco boost. IMO the eco boost is only a good truck to drive around town not for pulling or any kind of work it is basicly a guy mini van just in a truck body. It is a great womans truck. Ihe eco boost is fords broke back mountain edition of the F 150. IMO

^^^
Some people truly do wonder through life without a clue... sometimes I wonder how they make it.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/15/13 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

^^^
Some people truly do wonder through life without a clue... sometimes I wonder how they make it.

Agreed!

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/15/13 05:26 PM

My boss once bragged to me about her Tahoe... man I just love the power of my big v-8... a 6 cylinder engine would never be enough. She then told me yeah you want to talk about power my son just bought a brand new dodge 2500 diesel now that thing even blows my Tahoe out of the water on power.

I briefly tried to explain it to her then smiled and said "yes, it does" and left it at that.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/16/13 05:50 AM

Yea but it is a diesel would you like to compair it to any V6 gas you can not ever compair the two.
Anyone who tows with a V6 must not pull very heavy or often or you will buy new turbo's and a new transmission.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/16/13 05:54 AM

And turbo's no there is only one turbo in a cummins.
Yea but it is a diesel would you like to compair it to any V6 gas you can not ever compair the two.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/16/13 11:34 AM

And turbo's no there is only one turbo in a cummins.

Are you slow or something?

Take the 1 turbo off the cummins and its a dud 6 cylinder diesel.

The ecoboost doesn't have to have 2 turbos, that is just how ford set it up, much like the 6.4 diesel.

Every time you respond it just reinforces how little you know about how your vehicles work.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/17/13 02:40 AM

You said the 6 cylinder dodge diesel has turbos it only has one turbo not two like an eco boost. Im not really sure if you cant read or what but all major pulling vehicles are diesel do you see any eco boost big rigs,or hot shot trucks. It is fine for your 12ft flat bottom with a trolling motor on it but when compaired to a three quarter or one ton diesel there is no comparison. REDCHEVY what part of texas are you from, you must have lived in the city your whole life, not that there is anything wrong with that or anything.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/17/13 02:45 AM

I also pulled a travel trailer form Kenedy, TX to San Antonio, TX today with the eco boost and it almost killed the eco boost the trailer weigted about 10,000 LBS it was hard to keep on the road and no acceleration at all and 7 MPG. My 2011 250 ford diesel hardly even knows that trailer is back there and still gets 16 MPG. Now the eco boost has a check engine light on and I had to put it on a trailer to haul it back to Kenedy to let a mechanic at work fix it. I will let you know tomorrow what it was.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/17/13 03:27 AM

There is no way your getting 16 mpg on any diesel made pulling 10k. You'd be lucky to get 16 mpg empty. Yes I know, I have a 6.7 Powerstroke also.

Is the ecoboost a diesel no, not even close. But for the average guy who pulls a trailer 4-10 times a year it's a viable candidate. Only time will tell how it holds up.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/17/13 12:05 PM

I also pulled a travel trailer form Kenedy, TX to San Antonio, TX today with the eco boost and it almost killed the eco boost the trailer weigted about 10,000 LBS it was hard to keep on the road and no acceleration at all and 7 MPG. My 2011 250 ford diesel hardly even knows that trailer is back there and still gets 16 MPG. Now the eco boost has a check engine light on and I had to put it on a trailer to haul it back to Kenedy to let a mechanic at work fix it. I will let you know tomorrow what it was.

What rear end is in you eco boost????

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/17/13 02:26 PM

You said the 6 cylinder dodge diesel has turbos it only has one turbo not two like an eco boost. Im not really sure if you cant read or what but all major pulling vehicles are diesel do you see any eco boost big rigs,or hot shot trucks. It is fine for your 12ft flat bottom with a trolling motor on it but when compaired to a three quarter or one ton diesel there is no comparison. REDCHEVY what part of texas are you from, you must have lived in the city your whole life, not that there is anything wrong with that or anything.

Dang sure didn't spend my whole life in a city. I'm actually really close to you in new Braunfels and drive to Hebbronville quite a bit so I travel a lot of what you do.

The whole point was that diesels run like they do because of a turbo. You got no clue! Especially if you think your getting 16 pulling a 10k lb TT with your F250. rolfmao

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/18/13 12:25 AM

Trying to compare a gas motor to a diesel engine in specs. Of power & torque is really funny.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/18/13 03:03 PM

No one here has compared a gas to a diesel in pulling. No one here is that stupid. It was stated that the Eco Boost has a DIESEL LIKE TORQUE CURVE. Which it does.

You, however, are making stupid comments. The EcoBoost is a great pulling engine. 10,000 lbs is close to its max as a 1/2 ton. No one said Eco Boosts are for pulling 10K+ 100% of the time. It was stated it would be a great truck for someone looking for a 1/2 ton to pull a 21 ft. bass boat. Heck of a lot better than a 5.3 V8.

I also agree with the others, no way you are getting 16 MPG pulling 10K with a 6.7, thus I find most of your statements lack any validity.

Oh and I've seen quite a few 1/2 ton hot shot trucks with Eco Boosts here around the Gulf Coast.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/19/13 02:37 PM

It gets 16 because the DEF and exhaust is gone and replaced with a straight pipe and a deleate kit it has a programmer but it is turned off when I pull stuff. The truck gets over twenty with no trailer. You can get better MPG pulling with a load leveler to keep the weight off the toung and with a travel trailer the wind is a big part. You can get 16 HWY all day.
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Dang sure didn't spend my whole life in a city. I'm actually really close to you in new Braunfels and drive to Hebbronville quite a bit so I travel a lot of what you do.

The whole point was that diesels run like they do because of a turbo. You got no clue! Especially if you think your getting 16 pulling a 10k lb TT with your F250. rolfmao

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/19/13 02:42 PM

It has 373 gears in it

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/19/13 02:52 PM

I don't think there is much of anything that gets 16 mpg pulling a 10k travel trailer... unless its clutch in/neutral rolling down hill. BS!

Nobody has gone there yet, but I say if you make a 6.7 liter gas v-8 with a turbo set up like the ecoboost it could very easily compete with the 6.7 in hp and torque.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/19/13 09:01 PM

I believe you 0311. I have done tons of those delete kits & if you drive wind to your back and about 55 you can get that. But of course my Dodge Diesel I peaked & tuned the engine my self, with the tail gate down, 70mph on cruise with 3.55 rear end & 6 speed manual ,2wd on the highway on vacation with no trailer I get 25 miles to a gallon.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/19/13 09:03 PM

It is hard to believe the mpg until you see it for self but if you get some one who can do the def delete & knows how to tune the engine it can be done.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/20/13 03:14 AM

It has 373 gears in it

So is this on your Dodge or Ford?

My understanding is the 6.7 diesel only comes in 3.31 or 3.55 on the F250's.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/20/13 03:47 AM

On the dodge

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/20/13 03:47 AM

The Eco boost I have also has 373

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/20/13 10:55 AM

A hot shot truck normally pulls a 40ft trailer you see that all the time wow!

No one here has compared a gas to a diesel in pulling. No one here is that stupid. It was stated that the Eco Boost has a DIESEL LIKE TORQUE CURVE. Which it does.

You, however, are making stupid comments. The EcoBoost is a great pulling engine. 10,000 lbs is close to its max as a 1/2 ton. No one said Eco Boosts are for pulling 10K+ 100% of the time. It was stated it would be a great truck for someone looking for a 1/2 ton to pull a 21 ft. bass boat. Heck of a lot better than a 5.3 V8.

I also agree with the others, no way you are getting 16 MPG pulling 10K with a 6.7, thus I find most of your statements lack any validity.

Oh and I've seen quite a few 1/2 ton hot shot trucks with Eco Boosts here around the Gulf Coast.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/20/13 10:57 AM

it comes in 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.30 my ford also has 3.73uote=grout-scout]
It has 373 gears in it

So is this on your Dodge or Ford?

My understanding is the 6.7 diesel only comes in 3.31 or 3.55 on the F250's. [/quote]

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/20/13 11:13 AM

Take a pic of a 1/2 ton truck it needs to have any hot shot company on the side and I will send you 100 dollars

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/22/13 07:37 PM

Take a pic of a 1/2 ton truck it needs to have any hot shot company on the side and I will send you 100 dollars

Not all hot shots pull 40 ft trailers. There are plenty of smaller pieces that need to move around the gulf coast to support the oil field. 1/2 ton trucks do just fine and cost less to operate.

Oh, and I prefer a crisp $100 bill please.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/23/13 01:50 PM

Awe heck... now that picture is taking me back if it had crome wheels and manual mirrors that would be my first pickup sittin there! Was a hell of a truck.

Thanks for postin razorback... let us know when you get your c-note!

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/23/13 07:04 PM

No problem red. I loved that style. My dad had a 98 Green 4x4 that was probably the best looking truck ever.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/25/13 03:09 AM

You expect me to believe that is a hotshot truck it is a mid or early 90's truck and if it was a hotshot truck itwould have a million miles on it by now. You also say you see them hauling oilfield equipment on the gulf coast, that looks like a lot of snow for the gulf. That is an Acme supervisor truck or a pilot truck not a hotshot truck I work in the oilfield trucking buisness and I also am very familiar with Acme and what they do. Quit googleing hotshot companies and cuting and pasteing pics take your own gulf coast pic. A 17 year old hotshot truck that is unheard of. But those were great trucks.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/25/13 01:24 PM

You expect me to believe that is a hotshot truck it is a mid or early 90's truck and if it was a hotshot truck itwould have a million miles on it by now. You also say you see them hauling oilfield equipment on the gulf coast, that looks like a lot of snow for the gulf. That is an Acme supervisor truck or a pilot truck not a hotshot truck I work in the oilfield trucking buisness and I also am very familiar with Acme and what they do. Quit googleing hotshot companies and cuting and pasteing pics take your own gulf coast pic. A 17 year old hotshot truck that is unheard of. But those were great trucks.

Believe what you want. Go to Acme's website and look at the truck inventory. The "pickup" is the first type available, and it's capacity listing fits a 1/2 ton truck. Yes it's an older picture but that is a 1/2 hot shot truck. I will get my own picture but it will be a bit before I get back to that area again. I too work in the oil field shipping business. My first job when I started was working a field base, and we received parts all the time to take offshore. Many were delivered in the back of hot shot trucks just like that.

Put your money were your mouth is and quit making excuses, it makes you look bad. You said to post a picture of a 1/2 ton hot shot, which I did. If anything, 1/2 ton trucks today are WAY more capable than a 90s Chevy.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/25/13 01:25 PM

Also, that's sand, not snow.

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/25/13 02:30 PM

1/2 ton trucks today are WAY more capable than a 90s Chevy.

No joke on that!
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/27/13 01:23 AM

Hey fordfishingguy, do you guys match other ford dealers prices?

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/27/13 03:57 PM

So you are talking about hotshot trucks hauling around a few hundred pounds. Do you think Acme would use a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 10K or a 5K BOP to a well site? These are both in the tow range of the Eco boost. No way it would be a 1 ton. Any owner operator that works for them has to have a 1 ton dually at least or they wont even hire you.

Believe what you want. Go to Acme's website and look at the truck inventory. The "pickup" is the first type available, and it's capacity listing fits a 1/2 ton truck. Yes it's an older picture but that is a 1/2 hot shot truck. I will get my own picture but it will be a bit before I get back to that area again. I too work in the oil field shipping business. My first job when I started was working a field base, and we received parts all the time to take offshore. Many were delivered in the back of hot shot trucks just like that.

Put your money were your mouth is and quit making excuses, it makes you look bad. You said to post a picture of a 1/2 ton hot shot, which I did. If anything, 1/2 ton trucks today are WAY more capable than a 90s Chevy.
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/28/13 04:37 PM

Guess I will find out what my buddy's ecoboost does with my 18' bass boat. My '04 5.4 pulls it ok and gets anywhere from 9 to 13 mpg depending on hills and that pesky west Texas breeze...

Re: Ford echo boost - 04/29/13 06:19 PM

So you are talking about hotshot trucks hauling around a few hundred pounds. Do you think Acme would use a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 10K or a 5K BOP to a well site? These are both in the tow range of the Eco boost. No way it would be a 1 ton. Any owner operator that works for them has to have a 1 ton dually at least or they wont even hire you.

I'm starting to think your dreaming stuff up in your head. Your responses are way off point and sound like they are just pure rambling. No one said ACME is using 1/2 tons to pull 10K or even 5K. All was said is 1/2 ton's are used in hot shot work, as my pictures shows. Since the picture was from ACME's website and the truck has an ACME decal on the side; then yes, I would say ACME uses 1/2 tons to haul stuff. (Also note, ACME hauls for everyone, not just the oil field) 99% of hot shot work is done with 1 tons or bigger, but there is quite a bit of 1/2 tons running around delivering stuff throughout the GOM. You're the one assuming all this stuff. Just like you thought we said the Ecoboost pulls like a diesel, which we didn't.

Again, you said "post a picture of a 1/2 ton hot shot and I'll give you $100". Which I did. Now, I don't expect you to actually pay me, but you should really slow down and think about your posts before reasoning and drawing these conclusions from left field.

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/01/13 02:57 AM

Ok last question we were talking about towing so I assumed you were saying they used 1/2 ton trucks to tow things in the oilfield. Yes if it is small enough to put in the bed of a truck they will use a 1/2 ton truck but have you ever seen a 1/2 ton hooked up to any trailer in the hotshot buisness. If so PM me your address and I will send you your money. No pic necessary you seem honest. Even the safety guys that only pull aroung H2S testing equipment use 3/4 ton trucks, some of which are gas, and thet is due more to initial coat, fuel cost, and maintnence cost than performance.

I'm starting to think your dreaming stuff up in your head. Your responses are way off point and sound like they are just pure rambling. No one said ACME is using 1/2 tons to pull 10K or even 5K. All was said is 1/2 ton's are used in hot shot work, as my pictures shows. Since the picture was from ACME's website and the truck has an ACME decal on the side; then yes, I would say ACME uses 1/2 tons to haul stuff. (Also note, ACME hauls for everyone, not just the oil field) 99% of hot shot work is done with 1 tons or bigger, but there is quite a bit of 1/2 tons running around delivering stuff throughout the GOM. You're the one assuming all this stuff. Just like you thought we said the Ecoboost pulls like a diesel, which we didn't.

Again, you said "post a picture of a 1/2 ton hot shot and I'll give you $100". Which I did. Now, I don't expect you to actually pay me, but you should really slow down and think about your posts before reasoning and drawing these conclusions from left field.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/01/13 12:08 PM

This is interesting to say the least!

I've had a 2008 FX4 w/5.4 and 3.73 gears for 5 years. Best I ever saw unloaded on the highway was 17. 13 around town, 10-11 towing a 20' Skeeter down the highway.

Bought a '13 FX4, EcoBoost, w/3.73 gears. Got 21 mpg running on cruise at 60 mph from Tyler to Canton, then after driving on to Ft. Worth at 75, the trip ended up being at 19 mpg.
Consistently getting 17 mpg around town.
Getting around 12 mpg now towing the boat on highway.

The pulling power of this EcoBoost blows my 5.4 out of the water. I truly believe a 0-60 race between this new truck pulling the boat and my old truck with no boat, the new truck with boat would win.

The comparisons are not even close, in all areas, acceleration, ease of pulling, and especially the anti-sway system on the new truck.

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/01/13 01:16 PM

Ok last question we were talking about towing so I assumed you were saying they used 1/2 ton trucks to tow things in the oilfield. Yes if it is small enough to put in the bed of a truck they will use a 1/2 ton truck but have you ever seen a 1/2 ton hooked up to any trailer in the hotshot buisness. If so PM me your address and I will send you your money. No pic necessary you seem honest. Even the safety guys that only pull aroung H2S testing equipment use 3/4 ton trucks, some of which are gas, and thet is due more to initial coat, fuel cost, and maintnence cost than performance.
So you are talking about hotshot trucks hauling around a few hundred pounds. Do you think Acme would use a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 10K or a 5K BOP to a well site? These are both in the tow range of the Eco boost. No way it would be a 1 ton. Any owner operator that works for them has to have a 1 ton dually at least or they wont even hire you. [quote=HOU Razorback][quote=0311]You expect me to believe that is a hotshot truck it is a mid or early 90's truck and if it was a hotshot truck itwould have a million miles on it by now. You also say you see them hauling oilfield equipment on the gulf coast, that looks like a lot of snow for the gulf. That is an Acme supervisor truck or a pilot truck not a hotshot truck I work in the oilfield trucking buisness and I also am very familiar with Acme and what they do. Quit googleing hotshot companies and cuting and pasteing pics take your own gulf coast pic. A 17 year old hotshot truck that is unheard of. But those were great trucks.

No money needed. I can't recall 1/2 ton pulling a trailer, always 3/4 ton and bigger for that, but I'm sure its happened. However, not everything moved around the Gulf needs a trailer. Thanks for the comments and conversation.
Posted By: glenls

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/01/13 11:31 PM

Just bought a ford 2013 5.0 4x4 supercrew. traded in a 2010 5.4 FX4 supercrew. They quit making the 5.4. That 5.4 would eat that 5.0 alive. Bout the same mileage. I run 75 to 80 mph. Both about 14 to 15 mpg empty. Wish I would have bought the ecoboost. Buddy had eco when they first came out and had trouble with it going into limp mode. Will try one in a couple years.

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/02/13 01:42 PM

The 5.0 will flat out woop a 5.4 I don't know where yal get your opinions on performance.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/03/13 12:32 AM

I am not a Ford guy. But, I am seriously considering trading my new Tundra Platinum in on an Eco Boost Lariat. Gas mileage towing would be the same. It is the mileage driving that would be great.

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/03/13 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Red 12
I am not a Ford guy. But, I am seriously considering trading my new Tundra Platinum in on an Eco Boost Lariat. Gas mileage towing would be the same. It is the mileage driving that would be great.

For what you'd lose in trade in money you could by several thousand dollars worth of gas for that Tundra.
Posted By: Helm Hammerhand

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/24/13 08:58 AM

The Eco boost is legit , period. Great pulling truck, mine never runs bob tail, and it's the best gasoline trailer puller I've ever driven.
Posted By: Poormanscat

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/26/13 04:44 PM

Wow.. just read this whole thread... gas is the new diesel, turbos, 1/2 ton hot shot trucks.. hahaha..

As to the Eco-boost and fuel mileage, turbochargers only work off of one principle. You MUST have drive pressure on the turbine wheel or a turbo does NOTHING. The way to generate drive pressure is by making exhaust pressure and heat. Only way to do that is to BURN FUEL. The Eco-boost ( and most other boosted engines) will get good fuel mileage. Just do not expect the efficiency to stay up when the engine is calling for boost to make power.
I read somewhere awhile back the service life on the turbochargers of the eco-boost is only slightly over the 100K mile mark. That will make the truck pretty much disposable at that point. Unless someone in the aftermarket comes up with an economical service replacement for the turbos, the truck will not be worth the cost of a set of turbos.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/26/13 08:54 PM

The parts cost for 2 rebuilt Ecoboost turbos (with core trade in) and gaskets is under 1200 dollars. The required cost to replace them was 900 plus and the expected life span is around 150k although that was a guesstimate.

Nothing unlike rebuilding a tranny. A friends old Nissan truck with a turbo kept going for over 200k when he sold it. The turbo cooling system on the Ecoboost may extend the life well beyond 150k.

I would not buy one since the 5.0 is so close to it and cost wise its a no brainer but if you want the power you're going to either choose the Ecoboost or the 6.2 and the cost for that upgrade is higher than the ecoboost and a turbo rebuild.

Me? I have a Dodge/Cummins and a VW Jetta TDI. I want to sell them both to get a smaller pickup that will beat the Cummins in efficiency and not break the bank. What I'm mad at is the Toy Tacoma 2.7 is so hard to come by. Find one made from 2006 on and its like they are made of gold. Add to that I would like the 5 speed and its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/26/13 11:52 PM

Allison, Just my opinion, but theres no way I would spend 2100.00 on a 1/2 ton pickup with 150K miles on it... You would find it on a used car lot!!. hahaha

would love to have a new 4th gen Ram, but its hard to argue with the fuel mileage on my 06 Cummins... With a few programming mods, I am getting 22+ MPG unloaded. To date, none of the manufacturers have come close to it. Not really their fault though, EPA regs have killed the modern diesel fuel efficiency.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/27/13 12:12 AM

My 2000 Dodge 5sp quad cab went 776 (34.4 gallons) miles before filling up on a trip to Alabama a couple weeks ago. Drove there to pick up a 200XS that will work good on my little bass boat. Actually drove straight through to Saraland and then back as far as I12 north of New Orleans. The whole trip mpg was 22.2. Not bad for a 13 year old 3/4 ton.

I own 4 vehicles, one co owned with the daughter ( her first car purchase I co signed). Dodge, Mercedes E320 CDI and the 2003 and 2011 Jetta TDI (Tiffany's). Only the Mercedes is auto. MPG for them hwy is 22 plus, 37 plus, 50 plus and 46 plus.

Still I don't need the big truck anymore and the Toy will be cheaper to run.

Posted By: rhodes54

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/27/13 08:55 PM

I own a 2012 dodge with a hemi gets 19 on hiway 12 pulling my 21 foot ranger at any speed you , my father owns a new ecoboost we have put em against each other 3 times loaded and unloaded and the ford is good but not against a 390 horse hemi and if you check the warranty you will buy a dodge.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Ford echo boost - 05/29/13 06:44 PM

Anyone who thinks putting the tailgate down will yield better gas mileage is not very bright. Simple google search on the subject will explain why. This is in regards to a post on here a page or so back didn't feel like finding it to quote it but he was bragging on his gas mileage and mentioned the tailgate being down. Could have gotten even better if you would have left it up! haha
Posted By: dustman_stx

Re: Ford echo boost - 06/20/13 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: rhodes54
I own a 2012 dodge with a hemi gets 19 on hiway 12 pulling my 21 foot ranger at any speed you , my father owns a new ecoboost we have put em against each other 3 times loaded and unloaded and the ford is good but not against a 390 horse hemi and if you check the warranty you will buy a dodge.

No doubt the hemi is a good engine, but it still needs 4k+ rpms to match the torque of the Eco at 2500. Anyone that knows towing will tell you that torque, available at cruising speed, is what you want for pulling, not simply a high horsepower number. Just out of curiosity, does your dad know how to spool the turbos before launching? If he's simply pressing the gas from an idle it will take a moment for the turbos to spool, making your hemi seem much faster off the line.
Posted By: Skeeterg180

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/24/13 05:28 PM

I have a friend that has a brand new Explorer with the Ecoboost and he was getting 21mpg on the same trip I got 18mpg in an 03 Yukon. I dont see how thats good mileage for a 6cylinder engine?
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/24/13 05:45 PM

Seeing how it would embarrass your Yukon in every performance category, its pretty good mileage.

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/24/13 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeterg180
I have a friend that has a brand new Explorer with the Ecoboost and he was getting 21mpg on the same trip I got 18mpg in an 03 Yukon. I dont see how thats good mileage for a 6cylinder engine?

Is it the sport explorer or the regular, the sport has the bigger Eco. We have the regular with the Eco (bought it before the sport came out). The regular Explorer Eco is only a 4cyl, the Sport has the 6 cyl. But anyways, back to my point. If you were to drive both cars 200,000 miles and he always got 3 mpg better, then he drove 1,588 miles more per the same price that you did. Nobody's twisting your arm to go buy one.
Posted By: Skeeterg180

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/24/13 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Seeing how it would embarrass your Yukon in every performance category, its pretty good mileage.
considering 10 years ago it was well within performance standars of that time...how many of those are gona still be on the road in 10 yrs???....my guess not as many as the mid 2000 GM SUVs..of course this is comparing a MID sized vehicle with a FULL sized vehicle....I just would have thought there would be more of a MPG difference..thats my point

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/24/13 10:25 PM

I sure wouldn't buy one for fuel mileage but I would expect a bunch of ecoboosts to be around in 10 year. They've already sold 600,000 3.5l ecoboost engines as of April 2013.
Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/25/13 01:46 AM

I've heard all kinds of complaining from my brother in-law about his eco-boost and gas mileage. I have the exact same truck but mine is a 4x4 with the 5.0. Just took it on a 620 mile round trip empty going and towing a 29ft travel trailer back. 20.1 mpg at 70-75 going and 9mpg at 60-65 towing. Both mpg are beating his eco-boost mpg.

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/25/13 02:09 AM

Again, without being same person under same conditions, not sure what that's worth????
Posted By: Yaffe (Jeff)

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/27/13 05:06 AM

And if a frog had wings!!

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/27/13 12:56 PM

I know a guy who gets 20mpg out his 7.3L. I got 14. I know a guy who got 20mpg out of his 6.0L. I got 15. I know a guy who got 20mpg out of his 5.9L. I got 17. I know a guy who got 20mpg out of his 5.3L. I get 18. And I also know a guy that claims the same mileage as me out of his 5.0L with a similar commute. We ALL know a guy.

Re: Ford echo boost - 08/27/13 06:52 PM

Don't forget guys. The fuel economy idea is to allow better mpg while empty.
Ford doesn't say when pulling. "Fuel economy of a v6- when empty, power of a v8 when towing." Don't expect 19-20 when towing.
It is meant to allow a little of both worlds.
Hard to beat the turbo towing power when snatching up a 21 bass boat to merge onto hwy.
And use at least mid grade fuel in anything to optimize mpg.
Posted By: pinesjunkie

Re: Ford echo boost - 09/01/13 02:43 PM

Man sure is a lot of well my truck is better on here lol!! I drive a 2011 f-250 everyday for work its has power but stays in shop so they got me a 2013 f250 gas its gutless but does not leak or break down, I had a 2012 chevy with the 5.3 it was gutless and thats being nice so traded to the eco (yes I have had the 5.4 plugs strip out and all smile ) and man this pulls my zx225 like a dream I only get 11 mph but thats ok I drive them hard, To the guy saying its ford broke back mountain and you own all these cool trucks if you get out at the ramp driving a h3 trust me your getting made fun of lol

Re: Ford echo boost - 09/03/13 08:54 AM

I wish they made a v-8 with a turbo, I had a eco boost and the 5.0 Eco is faster empty, I like the 5.0 better for towing with the eco boost the turbos always have to kick in to pull anything I just dont like it. Fuel mpg was about the same in both for me 15 empty and 9 towing boat. I do drive fast

Re: Ford echo boost - 09/03/13 01:11 PM

I wish they made a v-8 with a turbo, I had a eco boost and the 5.0 Eco is faster empty,

Must have been that 2010 model.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1202_2012_truck_of_the_year_ford_f_150/viewall.html
Eco: 6.4 sec 0-60, 15.1 sec 1/4 mile
5.0: 7.1 sec 0-60, 15.5 sec 1/4 mile

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/01/13 05:58 PM

Don't know how long I can keep it up but decided to drive like grandpa on this tank of gas. Filled up Sunday so only two days worth, but the lie-o-meter is on 16.6mpg, all city bumper to bumper red light on every corner driving. Eat your heart out V-8's! I seriously love this engine.

But sooner or later I'll be tempted to punch it or the wife will take it for a spin and I'll be back in the 15's...well 13's if she drives it.
Posted By: Gary D

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/17/13 03:32 PM

Something to think about. 2 months ago I traded in a 2006 Duramax on a 2012 Cummins. Duramax was Crewcab, 4x4, good cond.160k miles. I got $18500 trade. Could have prob got $21k if I had wanted to wait. I paid $25k for it 5 years and 85000 mi earlier. Fact is, a good, clean, used, low mileage <100k mi, diesel is a good investment. The duramax would get 15-16 towing at 70-75 mph. My new Ram gets the same with a couple mods. My partner has a eco-boost and gets 9-10 towing. I don't think there will be much left of that hopped up little motor after 100k miles, so trade-in and resale will reflect that. Yes its got a lot of power for a gas...but for how long? The newer Hemis have better towing mpg than other half-tons. My .02

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/17/13 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary D
The newer Hemis have better towing mpg than other half-tons. My .02

No more than most people tow, I don't think 1-2 mpg matters that much. Plus the Eco should hold gears better than the hemi because it has better low end power. That low end is nice to have in the hill country.

I've done good to get 15-16mpg unloaded with every diesel I've ever driven. And I sure never got 16+mpg city which is what I've done on my last two tanks with the eco.

Also, you speak of mods. Simple tune on the eco bumps it to over 500ft lbs of torque. Try that with your hemi.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/17/13 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Gary D
Something to think about. 2 months ago I traded in a 2006 Duramax on a 2012 Cummins. Duramax was Crewcab, 4x4, good cond.160k miles. I got $18500 trade. Could have prob got $21k if I had wanted to wait. I paid $25k for it 5 years and 85000 mi earlier. Fact is, a good, clean, used, low mileage <100k mi, diesel is a good investment. The duramax would get 15-16 towing at 70-75 mph. My new Ram gets the same with a couple mods. My partner has a eco-boost and gets 9-10 towing. I don't think there will be much left of that hopped up little motor after 100k miles, so trade-in and resale will reflect that. Yes its got a lot of power for a gas...but for how long? The newer Hemis have better towing mpg than other half-tons. My .02

Exactly what did you tow 70-75 mph and get 15-16 mpgs with? I have a lot of miles towing on a duramax, solid 200 mile runs with a load and no empty driving. I don't tow 70, 60-65 is more like it and I cant touch 15-16 with a load. A modest load on a 16-foot flatbed 3-4k lbs produces 13 mpg at 65.

People need to start calculating their fuel mileage.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/17/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Dodge/Ford Guy
Don't forget guys. The fuel economy idea is to allow better mpg while empty.
Ford doesn't say when pulling. "Fuel economy of a v6- when empty, power of a v8 when towing." Don't expect 19-20 when towing.
It is meant to allow a little of both worlds.
Hard to beat the turbo towing power when snatching up a 21 bass boat to merge onto hwy.
And use at least mid grade fuel in anything to optimize mpg.
I would not say anything. Mid to prem helps in some and does absolutely no good in others. It all depends on the engine.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/17/13 06:01 PM

I would like to know people's thoughts on why they think the ecoboost won't last? It spends most of its life turning fewer rpm's than a comparable V8. And if it's complexity, why do people not worry about turbo diesels? Seems to be a double standard. Just curious????
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/24/13 02:01 PM

With EBoost I can get 15 easy at 60 MPH towing my 19 foot fiberglass boat.

One Highway test I got 25.4 MPG at 55-60 MPH, 120 mile run on interstate only.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/24/13 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
I would not say anything. Mid to prem helps in some and does absolutely no good in others. It all depends on the engine.

In the Ford, it's recommended but not required. 91 octane supposedly bumps the output to 385hp and 430ftlbs torque.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/24/13 10:56 PM

I would like to know people's thoughts on why they think the ecoboost won't last? It spends most of its life turning fewer rpm's than a comparable V8. And if it's complexity, why do people not worry about turbo diesels? Seems to be a double standard. Just curious????

Its comes down to the designed duty cycle of the engine. The Eco-Boost is making up for a lack of displacement via turbocharging. Building IMAP is accomplished by burning enough fuel to create exhaust pressure to drive the turbine wheel of the turbocharger.
When you "light" the turbos and build positive IMAP, you dramatically increase cylinder pressures and cylinder temperatures. Increased cylinder pressures put serious loading on pistons, upper cylinder walls, rings, connecting rods, crankshaft bearings, head gaskets... The increased cylinder temperatures are responsible for stressing pistons, cylinder walls, valves, engine oil and coolant (indirectly).
Proper maintenance is always helpful in allowing a high strung engine to live a longer life. Controlling IMAT is critical as well, so much so, Ford put the front license plate bracket off to the side to give the cooler plenty of air flow. (the truck looks stupid and awkward like that, but its what Ford had to do to get max airflow to the cooler)
All that being said, The added stresses to the engine accellerate wear, nothing is free.
Gasoline engines are build with lighter weight internals, this is so that you can turn higher RPM (less rotational mass) TRUE diesel engines are built with beefy, heavy duty internals, larger bearing journals, and very robust valvetrains...

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/25/13 01:40 PM

IDK, while they may be true if you slap an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo block, it sounds like Ford beefed up the eco engine considerably. I figure it'll last longer than I'll own it.

But I think a lot of your arguments still apply to turbo diesels.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/25/13 04:28 PM

IDK, while they may be true if you slap an aftermarket turbo on a non-turbo block, it sounds like Ford beefed up the eco engine considerably. I figure it'll last longer than I'll own it.

But I think a lot of your arguments still apply to turbo diesels.

Im with you, all the stuff said effects diesels just the same but they are built to handle it. I doubt that ford built the ecoboost by simply taking a 3.5 liter v-6 and throwing a turbo on it. I would bet is has stouter internal etc.

A buddy of mine has a early model 4.7 v-8 tundra with an aftermarket turbo on it. Truck has 180k miles on it and no issues what so ever. And that is with a truck that wasn't designed to have a turbo at all.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/30/13 12:04 AM

Engine design is identical to any other product designed. It must meet a price point and a profitability point. Its a delicate balance, sometimes it goes off without issue, other times, its a disaster.
The 3100 Cat diesel is a good example of when things go wrong. The 6.0 Navistar/Powerstroke is another good example. Too much trimming in the name of gross profit and it reached up and took a bite.
While not popular with the Blue Oval guys, their beloved 6.7L diesel is getting a major re-design, Ford isnt doing that to add value for the customer, its being done to correct for weak/failure prone components of the current generation 6.7L. Rest assured, the price of the updated engine equipped trucks will reflect that.
Not singling out Ford, ALL manufacturers do it. Some just get luckier than others!
Im sure the little ECO will be fine for most buyers. I would be shocked if you ever see it in a 3/4 ton though.

Re: Ford echo boost - 10/30/13 05:22 AM

seen where Ford was geting sued over the ECO Boost engine for some pat. and desighn infrengment. But yea the Cat 3100..lol..that was a fun one. I just got done fixing a 6.7 after 2 Ford dealers said it was unfixable and out of warranty & needed a new Motor because of a faulty def issue. 3,500 dollars later 95% of that for parts the truck is back to pulling hot shot loads and running better than ever.
Posted By: CatFishAddict

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/01/13 04:50 AM

buy a diesel for towing. my LBZ D-MAX will flat out rape a eco-boost in towing MPG, unloaded MPG, horse power and torque. plus better resale. running hot shots from DFW-Huston i was averaging round trip (hand calculated) 21.7 MPG, 8K lbs load both ways. that was cruising around 60-65mph. with EFI Live and a DSP5 switch, on my street tune it dynode 568 horse power to the wheels. i don't know much about the ford scorpion motors, but on paper they seem to be a stout motor. what people have to realize is the gasoline internal combustion motor has reached its peak; there is not much more that can be done to make it perform better and more efficiently. that's why you have seen the diesel market explode with in the past few years. back in 2000 it was unheard of to hear about a 1000 whp street truck. not its almost common place.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/01/13 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: CatFishAddict
buy a diesel for towing. my LBZ D-MAX will flat out rape a eco-boost in towing MPG, unloaded MPG, horse power and torque. plus better resale. running hot shots from DFW-Huston i was averaging round trip (hand calculated) 21.7 MPG, 8K lbs load both ways. that was cruising around 60-65mph. with EFI Live and a DSP5 switch, on my street tune it dynode 568 horse power to the wheels. i don't know much about the ford scorpion motors, but on paper they seem to be a stout motor. what people have to realize is the gasoline internal combustion motor has reached its peak; there is not much more that can be done to make it perform better and more efficiently. that's why you have seen the diesel market explode with in the past few years. back in 2000 it was unheard of to hear about a 1000 whp street truck. not its almost common place.

If you are constantly towing over 10000lbs ok. But $60,000 on a truck can't be afforded by all. I own an echoboost and love every second I am driving it...whether towing or not. For a gas engine it is a beast...and yes I have driven diesels before.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/01/13 01:21 PM

what people have to realize is the gasoline internal combustion motor has reached its peak; there is not much more that can be done to make it perform better and more efficiently.

Been there. Done that. Don't want to go back to a diesel. 1/2 tons are better commuters imo. My current tank is sitting on 17.2mpg, all city. Never came close to that in any diesel I've driven.

Engine tapped out? Here's you a dyno for the livernois 93 octane tune, adds 87RWHP and 109RWTQ. 13.3 through the quarter mile. Not bad for a little 3.5L engine.

Livernois

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/01/13 02:35 PM

AND if gas engines have reached their peak, then what do you call the ecoboost??? Old?? Lacking in technology?? 3.5l of displacement that puts out 420ft/lb of torque @2500rpm...from the factory...in a half ton gas truck...seems like gas is still getting better and better as the years go by. Diesel is great...IF you NEED and can afford it, BUT my gas cost 2.99/gal and my oil change cost 40 (in my driveway) and my truck cost $20000 less than an equally equipped diesel and I can still comfortably tow and stop my boat and camper (6800 lbs loaded out) without second thought or doubt in my mind.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/02/13 02:05 PM

and I go 10,000 miles easy between oil changes due to a life time replacement oil filter that is good for 5 microns in the factory location, a remote mount oil filter, front mount oil cooler, and a PPE deep oil pan that is finned. the trans also has a PPE finned deep pan and their finned PTO cover along with a front mount cooler as well. front and rear diffs have mag hytec deep, finned covers as well. for fuel, I have a 200 gph lift pump with a 5 micron filter and a fuel/water separator, along with a CAT 2 micron fuel filter/air/water separator in the factory location. yes fluid changes are expensive due to using high quality lubricants and the volume it holds, but the change intervals are far extended. so over an extended period of time, it ends up cheaper than a gasser.

ill be honest here. I would never recommend to any one to go out and buy a new(er) diesel 3/4 ton truck. if you need/want one, I would say 08 and before. all the emissions junk create reliability issues, and kills fuel mileage.

420 torques out a 3.5, that's easy. throw a turbo on it, the import tuner guys have been doing that for years. over the life of the vehicle, a diesel will have a lower total vehicle caust that a gas, period.

for the diesel nay Sayers, in 2014 both dodge and Nissan are bringing 1/2 ton diesel trucks. the dodge is going to have the same 3.0 turbo v6 that jeep is using. unfortunately the hemi still has a 50lb more pulling than the diesel. but the diesel will get better fuel economy. the Nissan titan is getting a new Cummins; 5.0 liter turbo V8.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/02/13 03:06 PM

Yep, and that Ram has 240 hp and does 0-60 in over 9 seconds. I'll pass.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/02/13 05:39 PM

im looking to the Nissan my self. and give it a year or 2, GM will have a diesel 1/2 ton. ford has admitted they made a big mistake with the f150 eco boost. if they spent the same time and energy in to a diesel, they could have produced a better, more powerful and more efficient motor. but they wont now, all though they want to. why, cause the pit all their eggs in one basket. they were talking about doing an aluminum block and heads 4.0 V6. equipped with a DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder. and a remarkable fuel system capable of 35,000 PSI rail pressure and 10 hole injectors. add in a factory compound turbo, and you have the first modern diesel engine that doesn't require ANY emissions equipment to meet tear 4 emissions, one of the lightest diesel motors out there, with an easy 290-315 factory HP and 420-450 torques, and something in the area of 32-38mpg easy.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/03/13 04:05 PM

Big mistake? They've built 2 million ecoboosts. They're making a killing off their gas turbos. That's done. That's now. They're great engines. But if you want to speculate the future, go for it. And the Ram can't even get 32mpg.

Time to pull out the waders.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/04/13 01:51 PM

im looking to the Nissan my self. and give it a year or 2, GM will have a diesel 1/2 ton. ford has admitted they made a big mistake with the f150 eco boost. if they spent the same time and energy in to a diesel, they could have produced a better, more powerful and more efficient motor. but they wont now, all though they want to. why, cause the pit all their eggs in one basket. they were talking about doing an aluminum block and heads 4.0 V6. equipped with a DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder. and a remarkable fuel system capable of 35,000 PSI rail pressure and 10 hole injectors. add in a factory compound turbo, and you have the first modern diesel engine that doesn't require ANY emissions equipment to meet tear 4 emissions, one of the lightest diesel motors out there, with an easy 290-315 factory HP and 420-450 torques, and something in the area of 32-38mpg easy.

You're crazy. Comparing a diesel to a 1/2 ton truck is just stupid. To pull a camper or boat, buying a $50K + diesel truck is beyond crazy, unless you really want to. Diesel is almost $1 more a gallon, the engine alone will cost you $8,000 more up front, and then what? The ecoboost and diesel get about the same milage, until you get loaded heavy (and most people aren't in there 1/2 tons 99% of time). Unless you pull 10K plus, why fork over the money for a diesel? The Ecoboost is not a diesel competitor. It's an option to finally get great power, great fuel economy out of a gas engine. Ford has a hit, but it's had some hiccups, just like every engine ever made.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/05/13 07:00 PM

does for have a hit, no doubt. not arguing there. but, its a proven fact that a diesel creates more power and 30%, on average, better fuel economy than a comparable size gas motor. hence the reason Nissan and dodge are putting smaller diesel engines in to their 1/2 ton trucks. and GM and Toyota are developing their own smaller diesels for their 1/2 ton trucks as we speak. why do you think chevy came out with the turbo diesel cruse, jeep has a turbo diesel grand Cherokee and liberty, and GM is in the R and D phase of their turbo diesel CTS caddy? and let me clarify what power actually means; torque. torque is a measurable force. horse power is nothing more than a mathematical equation given the measured torque value. that why on all dynos there is a correction value for horse power. any one can play with the correction value on a dyno and make the dyno sheet say damn near any horse power number they want. there is in industry standard correction value; SAE correction.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/05/13 07:40 PM

Let's look at the Ram and torque. 420ftlbtq at 2000 rpms. 240HP at peak 3600 rpms = 350ftlbs torque or 83% max torque. Redline is 4800rpm and it can't beat 240HP. That means less than 260ftlbs at 4800rpm or less than 61% of max torque. Probably a lot less. Like pretty much all diesels, it peters out fast.

Ecoboost 365HP at peak 5000rpm = 383ftlbs (92% of max torque). In fact over 90% from 1700rpm past 5000rpm. Much flatter and longer torque curve.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/06/13 03:26 AM

this is funny, first, you chose the ram, of all the other 1/2 ton diesel truck I mentioned. now, 1,700 to 5,000 rpm. think about the fact that the diesel motor probably idles at 500 rpm, and red lines at 4,000rpm. so there is no way that ecoboost produces more power under the curve. and why do so many americans get hooked on HP numbers. when torque is what you feel, the seat of the pants dyno if you will.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/06/13 02:13 PM

this is funny, first, you chose the ram, of all the other 1/2 ton diesel truck I mentioned.

The Ram is in production and has been tested. The Titan isn't available to the public and that 4.0L that has 1000ftlb torque and gets 40mpg....well...that doesn't even exist. Plus the Ram is the closest to the ecoboost in displacement.

now, 1,700 to 5,000 rpm. think about the fact that the diesel motor probably idles at 500 rpm, and red lines at 4,000rpm. so there is no way that ecoboost produces more power under the curve.

I just showed you where the ecoboost produces more torque under 4000rpm. In fact, it produces more torque as low as 2500rpm. The Ram 3.0L also redlines at 4800rpm. That's a fact.

And who cares how much power you produce at 500 rpm's. Nobody cruises down interstate at 500rpm.

and why do so many americans get hooked on HP numbers. when torque is what you feel, the seat of the pants dyno if you will.

Because HP is a measurement of power. When you punch a vehicle to pass, you are at the top of your rpm range and it's better to have 380ftlbtq than 200 as reflected in the higher HP number. HP explains the 3 second difference in 0-60 times.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/06/13 06:56 PM

I must respectfully agree to disagree. at this point in the conversation, I feel that im beating a dead horse, and were being nit picky. all great points here and very informative. that you guys for a great conversation.
Posted By: ggmizzou

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/09/13 04:53 AM

Not sure why the EcoBoost is always such a lightning rod topic. I've got an F150 EcoBoost and an F250 diesel and they've each got a purpose. When people say the EcoBoost pulls like a diesel, they're not saying it will pull the same loads as a diesel. Quite simply, the torque band is much lower in the rpm range on the EcoBoost as others have stated which does make it pull like a diesel on lighter loads. I would never think of putting a goose neck hitch in my EcoBoost and try to pull my skid steer or a 15K lb load of hay. Those belong behind the diesel plain and simple. But if I'm pulling something relatively light like my 21' bass boat or a bumper pull with a golf cart and 4-wheeler, they are going behind my EcoBoost every time. I've pulled my boat all over the state with the EcoBoost and I'll guarantee you it doesn't break a sweat with that kind of load. The turbos will spin up on a grade or when I kick it to pass someone, but the turbo on my diesel does the same. Anyone that has the turbos blowing continuously on an EcoBoost when pulling a 3000 - 4000 lb load is either going up a really long hill or has a serious problem with the engine. From a mpg standpoint, the biggest thing I've noticed about my EcoBoost is that it is extremely sensitive to speed with 60 - 65 being the sweet spot. Towing or empty, it gets 2 - 3 mpg better in that range then it does when running 70 - 75. Mine is a 2012 that I've put 35K miles on and I get about 16.6 combined city/highway driving. If I can keep my foot out of it on the highway, I get about 20 empty and 15 pulling my boat. If I run in the 75 mph range pulling my boat, it will drop down to 12 mpg. I've owned several trucks over the years, both Chevy and Dodge, both gas and diesel, and so far the EcoBoost has been my favorite. From an acceleration standpoint, the EcoBoost is nothing short of awesome when the turbos kick in. On the negative side, you do experience some hesitation while they spin up. Only time will tell on how it holds up but I haven't seen anything that worries me yet.
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/11/13 03:40 PM

I just bought a new 2013 F-150 4X4 with the 5.0 in it from Rockwall Ford and I get 16-17mpg Hwy and 15 mpg all around average. My mpg dropped 1 mpg pulling my Skeeter!

Oh and for the guys raving about the 5.4 3V just wait, you must baby that thing because the 3V is the worst engine Ford ever built. My 2006 King Ranch made it 214,000 miles but it cost me an arm and leg to keep it on the road. Finally traded it in before timing chains, cam phasers and a valve job had to be done. My uncle who owns a shop in Garland that has been there since 1972 wanted to kill me when I bought the 5.4 3V POS!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/11/13 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: sf150skeeter
I just bought a new 2013 F-150 4X4 with the 5.0 in it from Rockwall Ford and I get 16-17mpg Hwy and 15 mpg all around average. My mpg dropped 1 mpg pulling my Skeeter!

Oh and for the guys raving about the 5.4 3V just wait, you must baby that thing because the 3V is the worst engine Ford ever built. My 2006 King Ranch made it 214,000 miles but it cost me an arm and leg to keep it on the road. Finally traded it in before timing chains, cam phasers and a valve job had to be done. My uncle who owns a shop in Garland that has been there since 1972 wanted to kill me when I bought the 5.4 3V POS!
1 mpg diff betweeen loaded and unloaded is awfully low. I bet when you get that truck fully broke the diff goes up to about 4. I was talking to a service writer at Toyota a couple months back and he said Tundras will reach max MPGs at about 10k. Seems a little high to me but I know they all get better after break in.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/11/13 07:36 PM

1 mpg diff betweeen loaded and unloaded is awfully low. I bet when you get that truck fully broke the diff goes up to about 4. I was talking to a service writer at Toyota a couple months back and he said Tundras will reach max MPGs at about 10k. Seems a little high to me but I know they all get better after break in.

I also pulled my 27' travel trailer with in the 1st week and the mileage dropped to 10-11 mpg but I expected that.
Also both the travel trailer and boat were taken on 350+ mile trips.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/11/13 07:36 PM

My Tacoma peaked about 8k, so I don't doubt it.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/11/13 11:28 PM

I also pulled my 27' travel trailer with in the 1st week and the mileage dropped to 10-11 mpg but I expected that.

Hope you put more than a 1000 miles on it before the tow...read your manual and hope you don't have any drivetrain warranty issues..........

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/12/13 02:21 PM

Hope you put more than a 1000 miles on it before the tow...read your manual and hope you don't have any drivetrain warranty issues..........

Ford's recommended break in was complete before the tow and I will not have any warranty issues. I grew up in a shop...

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/12/13 03:08 PM

Ford's recommended break in was complete before the tow and I will not have any warranty issues. I grew up in a shop... [/quote]

Just checking. I have a 13 ecoboost...bought 2 weeks ago. Service manager made it very very clear that IF I had any drive train issues within the warranty and they found out I towed ANYTHING before the 1000 miles listed in the manual, the drive train warranty is voided...no questions asked. He said the computer of the truck saves the first time a trailer is hooked up (through the electrical connection for trailer lights/ brakes) and it takes him about 15 seconds to pull up the data. He said it's not the engine that needs to break in before towing...it's the tranny and MOSTLY the differential and other rear end components.

Re: Ford echo boost - 11/14/13 02:30 PM

Ford's recommended break in was complete before the tow and I will not have any warranty issues. I grew up in a shop...

Just checking. I have a 13 ecoboost...bought 2 weeks ago. Service manager made it very very clear that IF I had any drive train issues within the warranty and they found out I towed ANYTHING before the 1000 miles listed in the manual, the drive train warranty is voided...no questions asked. He said the computer of the truck saves the first time a trailer is hooked up (through the electrical connection for trailer lights/ brakes) and it takes him about 15 seconds to pull up the data. He said it's not the engine that needs to break in before towing...it's the tranny and MOSTLY the differential and other rear end components.[/quote]

That is good information because there was no mention of that from Rockwall Ford. Like I said the break in was complete but if that's how Ford is going to treat customers then the dealerships should explain this to all customers. I'm glad I paid for an extended 75,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum