Texas Fishing Forum

2005 Ford Expedition Problem

Posted By: javelin150

2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 02:09 PM

Engine has about 133000 miles, 2005 Ford Expedition 5.4 liter. Been having a problem recently but now its getting worse. WHen you get to around 40-60 mph and slightly let off the gas and than try to accelerate, the engine starts to "stutter" and seems likes it is "missing" really bad. If you accelerate quick than the "stutter" goes away quickly but if you lightly accelerate like you normally would in city driving that it seems to be missing bad. Only happenes if you let off the gas between 40-60 and than try to accelerate again. No check engine light comes on when it misses but occassionaly it comes on and blinks briefly around 70 mph, is it possible to pull the codes if the check engine light is not on if I take it to the dealer? Any ideas what it could be? Cost for repair? Thanks
Posted By: CWCW

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 02:30 PM

I think you can take it to Auto Zone and they can hook it up and see if it is spitting out a code. Then they can see what the code means and you can find out what it will cost from there.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 02:38 PM

Could be a number of things. What has been done to it like tune-ups when what who? Yes if the CEL comes on even momentarily the pcm has locked a code in and it can be read. Autozone and O'Reilly at one time would read codes for free. Not sure anymore or you can purchase a diagnostic reader. Cost? have to know more info.

Were you aware of the injector recall for 05's 5.4L?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/timnoll/2008-11-15_162530_Recall_07M08.pdf

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 05:59 PM

Only thing that has been done really is fuel filter changed last year. Oil changed reguarly, was unaware of recall, will call dealer to inquire. Will also see if code can be pulled. Main thing i want to avoid is trial and error repair, i want to get the problem fixed the first time

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 06:14 PM

Also have had the "check electronic throttle control system" issue randomly in the past but not lately...

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 06:24 PM

Then it sounds like it's ready for a tune up. If your taking it to the dealer then let them do that too. Especially if your not inclined to do it yourself that could turn out to be a nightmare. Fortunatly the dealers have had enough experience by now they should know all of the tricks and TSB's it takes. The electronic throttle control issue could be the throttle position switch, it's all a fly by wire system now.

FYI on the tune-up issue, good read and a FYI just so you know what your in for.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/328090-newtsb-spark-plug-removal.html

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/04/11 07:56 PM

Yeah knew about the spark plug issues they have had replacing thus the reason i have not done it yet
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/06/11 03:25 PM

I had that happen one time on my ford explorer many years back. When I would try to accelerate, it would miss. Turned out I had a cracked spark plug. So you just might need new plugs, and depending on age new spark plug wires.
Posted By: slayden457

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 05/06/11 03:34 PM

Had the same issue... eneded up being a vacume hose leak. I also changed the plugs while I was at it.

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 06/14/11 01:02 AM

Ok so little update and additional question. Still been having the same issue but now the check engine light is constantly on, took it to autozone and they said i had a cylinder 6 misfire, should this be the injector covered under the recall?

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 06/14/11 01:18 PM

Injector is a possibility but the fact that the vehicle has 133k and hasn't been tuned up leaves the plugs and cop's as the first suspect and that should be the first thing eliminated. cop's can be obtained for a fairly reasonable price.

For example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-IGNIT...sQ5fAccessories
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 06/14/11 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeet100
I had that happen one time on my ford explorer many years back. When I would try to accelerate, it would miss. Turned out I had a cracked spark plug. So you just might need new plugs, and depending on age new spark plug wires.

Considering the fact that it is a 2005 Ford just is a big word here. Changing plugs which you would think to be routine maintenance could turn in to a $2500 nightmare.

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 06/17/11 01:33 PM

Well at the dealer now, bad coil and plug on cylinder 6, getting it fixed now

Re: 2005 Ford Expedition Problem - 06/17/11 03:04 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum