Texas Fishing Forum

Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 02:34 AM

05 f-150, back pads were worn down to nothing and rotors needed changed, got some new rotors and pads from autozone, lost some fluid in the process, topped it fluid off when finished, what’s the next step? Bleeding brake lines, I’m thinking an air bubble somewhere. What are y’all thoughts?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 12:05 PM

How did you loose fluid?
Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 12:54 PM

Pretty standard procedure to bleed and level out fluid after pad and rotor replacement.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 01:40 PM

I guess it all depends how you do it, but changing pads and rotors you shouldn't have lost any fluid.

Top off the reservoir. Start with the wheel furthest from the booster, should be passenger rear bleed it then work your way towards the closest one.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 05:42 PM

On a 2005 you might as well bleed out all the fluid. Just make sure to maintain a minimum level in the master
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 06:39 PM

Have never and probably never will flush/replace brake fluid.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I guess it all depends how you do it, but changing pads and rotors you shouldn't have lost any fluid.

Actually if the reservoir had been topped off anytime the pads were wore down then when installing new pads it will overflow.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Brakes soft after replacing rotors and pads - 08/09/18 10:37 PM

Turns out I had a bad caliper that was leaking. Replaced it and bled lines, brakes are good as new.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum