Texas Fishing Forum

Leaf Spring

Posted By: Jpurdue

Leaf Spring - 05/14/18 12:41 PM

I broke the leaf spring on my trailer. Is this something that I can easily order parts and repair myself or should I take it in somewhere to have it done?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/14/18 01:14 PM

I broke one coming back from Lake Conroe long ago. It was a two leaf spring. Trailer, wheel and brake on 45 had three leaf replacements. I replaced both sides. I was a young buck then. Would not try it now.
Posted By: mstring

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/14/18 01:38 PM

Yes you can change them out, just measure and make sure everything is square and straight when done. I would replace both sides while you are at it.

You didn't mention it so I'm guessing no catastrophe occurred. When I broke one, the axle turned 90 degrees turning the trailer 90 degrees also slinging the boat off skidding down the road.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/14/18 02:22 PM

No catastrophe. I was lucky. I was going about 75 mph down the interstate. Hit a big bump which bounced the trailer and sheared the spring about 2" from the back eye. The tire immediately hit the inside wheel well and started smoking like crazy. I heard/felt/saw something almost immediately and was able to get over to the shoulder in a matter of seconds. I was about 200 miles from home. Fortunately I had some 2x4's in the back of my truck. I was able get the trailer jacked up and a 2x4 wedged in there to get the wheel well off the trailer and limp back home.

Did your break near the front or back eye? I think if mine had broke up front it would have been much worse.
Posted By: mstring

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/14/18 02:29 PM

Yes, mine broke at the front of the spring. Axle went sideways, trailer went sideways and boat went upside down along the road. Luckily it was middle of the night and no traffic. Boat was an aluminum Duracraft and was no worse for wear, it did lean a little after that on plane. Only busted the cowling and broke the top plug on the Merc 50 but she ran for years after that.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/15/18 12:27 AM

You might check with Tractor Supply or Northern Tool for a replacement! Just take some measurements and check too see what capacity they are! I know Northern Tool carries lots of trailer stuff!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/15/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Couples Team
You might check with Tractor Supply or Northern Tool for a replacement! Just take some measurements and check too see what capacity they are! I know Northern Tool carries lots of trailer stuff!
Northern Tool is where I got the last set I put on the Ranger trailer. I have done several. You will need 2 jacks. I use floor jack under the axle and bottle jack under the frame. Mainly because that is what I have. 2 floor jacks will work if they have enough lifting range. Make sure you buy the proper carrying capacity and don't just go by number of leafs. I was camping at Texoma once when I heard a ding ding coming off the ramp. Sure enough I had broke one leaf. I have a trailer place just west of the house so I pull in there and pick up a 25-1/4" double eye 4 leaf pack. I did not even think to check load rating. Well within a month the dang spring is flat. Did not even go back to argue with the guys at the trailer joint. I went to Northern and picked up a set of 4500 lbers. I think the ones at the trailer place were 3500.
Posted By: trlrman

Re: Leaf Spring - 05/15/18 09:13 PM

pr4 springs are rated at 2400 lbs , pr4b springs are rated at 1750 lbs , this is per spring .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum