Texas Fishing Forum

Ford 2.7 twin turbo

Posted By: slim1

Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 11:53 AM

Anybody have a Ford with the 2.7? How do you like it? Pros and cons. Thanking about buying one. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 04:10 PM

Love it. Only put about a thousand miles on it so far, though. It spends most of it's time parked or teaching my son's drivers ed. Mine's a 2017 STX, Ext cab, 2wd, 3.73 rear end. It runs surprisingly stout and gets great economy for a truck. I can't imagine the 2018 with more power and a 10 speed tranny.

If there are any cons to the engine, I haven't found it yet. The auto start-stop function is annoying.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 07:14 PM

What kind of mileage are you getting out of it sam?

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 07:21 PM

Like I've mentioned, I got over 22mpg coming back from Oklahoma at 75mph. I can get about 20 mpg around town. Last I looked it was on 18mpg with tons of stop and go, including backing and parking drills. That's impressive to me.

I guess it's all relative but beats the other two trucks and similar to the GC 3.6l pentastar, which also feels like a slug in comparison.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 08:26 PM

Sounds good, I knew you had one but didn't remember seeing anything mentioned about mpg's. Seems like I remember reading a while back that the 2.7 ecoboost is fords top selling motor, so it seems it must be going over pretty well.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Love it. Only put about a thousand miles on it so far, though. It spends most of it's time parked or teaching my son's drivers ed. Mine's a 2017 STX, Ext cab, 2wd, 3.73 rear end. It runs surprisingly stout and gets great economy for a truck. I can't imagine the 2018 with more power and a 10 speed tranny.

If there are any cons to the engine, I haven't found it yet. The auto start-stop function is annoying.

You need to drive a Raptor then or for that matter an f150 with the 3.5EB

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111

I know several tests proved at least on the first few production years of the 2.7 that it was faster 0-60 than the 3.5 ecoboost.
Posted By: mstring

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/18/18 09:59 PM

I test drove a couple when I bought my 2016 F150. You would never guess it was a V6. I got a better deal on one with the 5.0. Happy with the 5.0, The lowest I've seen on the computer for a tank is 16.5 if it's just back and forth to work, all stop and go traffic on side streets. I've see 22 on the highway running at or above the speed limit.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/19/18 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: tmd11111

I know several tests proved at least on the first few production years of the 2.7 that it was faster 0-60 than the 3.5 ecoboost.

Yep. The first generation 3.5l, depending on configuration. I think it'll outrun my 2013 3.5l but it's kind of hard to race yourself. wink

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/19/18 11:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Can you turn off the auto start-stop?

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/19/18 12:19 PM

Yes, there is a button on the dash to turn it off but it defaults to 'on' every time you start the vehicle.

Word is, Ford fixed some of the issues with the 1st generation 3.5l when designing the 2.7l. No more condensation issues and I'm hoping it won't go through spark plugs every 40k miles. We also have a 2015 in our fleet that has been problem free. I feel good about the engine.

I did hear they have a recall on the 10-speed tranny. Don't know what the issue is.
Posted By: Jim N

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/19/18 03:21 PM

Depends on gearing as well.....I have a 15 2.7/6speed/3.73 gears Ecoboost and an 18 3.5/10 speed 3.55 gears speed ecoboost....the 2.7 is much more rev happy which is fun, and better at non-towing MPG....but the 3.5 gets better MPG while towing cause you are using less throttle.....

Recall is for a clip on the 10 speed that may allow the truck to move forward after placing it in park.
Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 04/23/18 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: slim1
Anybody have a Ford with the 2.7? How do you like it? Pros and cons. Thanking about buying one. Thanks for the help.

Got an '18 2.7 with 3.55 electronic locking diff. About 1k miles on it. So far so good, getting a little over 20mpg avg. Have only towed my boat twice - short trips, no highway. Really recommend the elec lock diff, truck shot up the ramp with ease both trips.

Drove tundras since 2004, this was a big change but getting used to it.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 05/11/18 02:22 AM

We didn't go with the Baby Boost in our '17 we went with the big brother!

Ours is a '17 XLT Screw FX4 Max Tow with 3.55 rears and 10 speed transmission.

My wife drives it daily on her 50 mile round trip to work and back and averages 21 mpg in it.

We have gotten a high of 27 once but most of the trips we take it gets 24-25 if we keep it at or near the speed limit.

Well the trip we took to Amarillo into the 85 MPH zones made it drop to right at 20.

The secret to good mpg's on any of the EcoBoost engines is to keep the turbos from spooling but that is true with any force feed engine. wink cool
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 05/18/18 02:06 AM

We test drove both... and both my wife and I thought the 2.7 EB was quicker (as I'm sure it's a lighter engine package). But when it came time to buy and we felt with a full family in the truck and the bed loaded up that the 3.5 EB would suite us better.

So we went with the 3.5 EB and have been very pleased. We also considered resale and felt the 3.5 EB would have an edge.

However, if I was looking for a daily driver to role up miles on and wasn't worried about towing and resale.. that 2.7 sure was nice.

I did recall some conversation about the older years having issues with the way the injection was configured. Can't remember... just remember enough to ask the question.
Posted By: East Bay Guide Jeff Brandon

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 06/04/18 05:07 PM

I had a 17 Lariat supercrew 4x4 for a work truck and loved it so much I purchased a new 18 for my wife and one for myself.

Both are 2.7L, FX4's and we love them. My mother retired from GM, so I have been a huge fan of them until I drove the ford company truck. I added a level on mine and put 18 raptor wheels and tires on it and it knocked it down about 1.5 mpg or so average but still am fine with it. The pulling power is impressive as well with my 21' center console cat.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 06/15/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: TXBoss
We test drove both... and both my wife and I thought the 2.7 EB was quicker (as I'm sure it's a lighter engine package). But when it came time to buy and we felt with a full family in the truck and the bed loaded up that the 3.5 EB would suite us better.

So we went with the 3.5 EB and have been very pleased. We also considered resale and felt the 3.5 EB would have an edge.

However, if I was looking for a daily driver to role up miles on and wasn't worried about towing and resale.. that 2.7 sure was nice.

I did recall some conversation about the older years having issues with the way the injection was configured. Can't remember... just remember enough to ask the question.

The older EB's were Direct Injected only so no fuel ever hit the back of the intake valves which caused them to have build up.

The newer ones have Port/Direct Injected (according to rpm's) so they will keep them cleaner.
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 07/18/18 04:06 PM

Thanks BigDozer66

That is what I recall now. Do you remember if the 2.7 was direct injection only or both?

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 07/26/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: TXBoss
Thanks BigDozer66

That is what I recall now. Do you remember if the 2.7 was direct injection only or both?

I think all of the F-150 engines are (except the 5.0L Coyote) and it might be by now.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/06/18 03:41 PM

I'm a Chevy guy. But I might have to look at the Ford now. They are putting the Raptor EB with 450hp in the top end F150.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/06/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BassFever
I'm a Chevy guy. But I might have to look at the Ford now. They are putting the Raptor EB with 450hp in the top end F150.

I'd recommend it, even the 3.5 ecoboost they put in the 2011 model F150's will spank the pants off of GM's current 5.3 v-8.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/07/18 02:35 AM

I'd recommend it, even the 3.5 ecoboost they put in the 2011 model F150's will spank the pants off of GM's current 5.3 v-8.

I currently drive a 17 Chevy with the 6.2 and LOVE it.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/07/18 05:26 AM

It's going to be in the 2019 Limited which cost just about as much as a Raptor.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/07/18 12:39 PM

I currently drive a 17 Chevy with the 6.2 and LOVE it.

I've driven both and I'd take the 3.5 eb over the 6.2 any day and LOVE it.

But currently I'm still loving my 30 mpg ecodiesel too much to consider anything else.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/07/18 01:18 PM

I bought a 2018 F-150 with a 5.0 and a 10 speed auto. I think it's 395 HP. It's fast. Like driving a race truck. Took it to northern Arkansas last week. I got 22 mpg even driving in the hills. Could have got the V-6 for the same price but decided to go with the motor that's been around for a while. Love my new truck.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/07/18 02:45 PM

The v-6 has been around for almost 8 years now...

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/07/18 06:08 PM

If you tow or drive at elevation, those turbo engines just flat out spank their competition.

I'm still getting used to hitting 4k rpms in the new truck while towing the TT. Never happened in the ecoboost...at least in Texas.

Re: Ford 2.7 twin turbo - 08/17/18 12:13 PM

What kind of mileage are you getting out of it sam?

Been driving it the last 2 weeks because mine is in the shop (hail damage). The lie-o-meter is on 20.6 mpg after a tank and a half, mixed driving. It's been too hot to use the auto start/stop or I think I could get 21 without much effort.

Big difference from the 13 mpg in the F250.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum