Texas Fishing Forum

Used Trans worth a darn?

Posted By: tx_basser

Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 02:37 AM

Sons 08 Ram 1500 is starting to have tranny (42rle) issues. Started off shuddering and continued to get worse. Tried some additives but now slipping in 1st gear. Replaced speed sensors and thst didnt work, so gonna try and replace shift solenoid before I decide to take it to shop.

From what I can tell it needs a new TC or a tranny. Wondering if used tranny is worth it or are they darn.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 03:18 AM

the shuttering is the torque converter, the slipping is the clutch discs, it needs rebuilt. fyi, don't use a reman torque converter, make sure it is new

p.s. i would go rebuilt before i would go used

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 03:22 AM

Doh... might have to make this a diy project. As I can't sink 2k into this.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 03:28 AM

i may know of a guy in arlington that rebuilds them for less than a thousand

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 03:40 AM

Thanks Spanky.. based on what i am reading on the 42rle.. they are [censored] at 125k.

Will probably just bite the bullet and get it rebuilt.
Posted By: MarcM64

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 01:37 PM

If you want to go the used route, look at Car-Part.com! My opinion is to get it rebuilt! They are junk transmissions!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 01:45 PM

Try friction reducer additive.
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 01:51 PM

I'd only go used to unload the truck.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 02:03 PM

Had a buddy in college with a '90's model chevy his transmission over heated and was starting to act up on him. He aked if I would put in a used transmission for him so off to the salvage yard etc. we went. All the transmissions we looked at were leaking some fluid out and my guess is none of the drivers of them were into preventative maintenance as the fluid was all dark and burned already. We ended up flushing the trans fluid several times through the cooler lines and giving it a healthy dose of an additive and it ran for another 30k miles working fine till he sold it.

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Try friction reducer additive.

Did that and it stopped the shudder, but caused the slipping. Gonna have it flushed later in the week and see if anything changes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 07:33 PM

Does the transmission have a dipstick?

Is it at the correct level? Is the fluid nice pretty pink and smells good?

If the fluid isn't nice a new looking I would drop the pan and fill a few times with some stop slip additive. Go to Walmart and you can get jugs of the trans fluid cheap, your out a few bucks and your time if it doesn't work. If it makes an improvement repeat in a few hundred or thousand miles.

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/07/18 08:13 PM

Yes... it is nice and pink and good level, but I'm going to do as you suggested before I drop some serious dollars on it. I think my son has just beat on it too much, and it is probably going to bite me in the butt.

Re: Used Trans worth a darn? - 03/09/18 04:50 PM

Update: Did a fluid exchange and getting some better results, so I put in a big bottle of Risolene trans non-slip and it seems to be helping. Gonna run it another two weeks, then drop the pan and change filter and put in some more Risolene.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum