Texas Fishing Forum

Stereo question

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Stereo question - 02/07/18 10:17 PM

I’m wanting some good but not over bearing tunes in my truck. Does anyone know what the current sound system is in the 2018 F150’s?

Any suggestions? I have a nice head unit (tuner) now. Just wanting some quality speakers maybe an amp?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Stereo question - 02/07/18 10:29 PM

Truck sound systems are pretty good these days. My 2011 F250 will flat out rock.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Stereo question - 02/08/18 12:29 PM

I put a set (4) of the Infinity Speakers in my old 97 F150 that were reasonably priced and very good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A%21493964%2Cn%3A667846011%2Cn%3A172563%2Cp_4%3AInfinity&ie=UTF8&qid=1518092745
Posted By: Samsonsworld

Re: Stereo question - 02/08/18 02:22 PM

The new trucks have several options for a stereo. The high-end system is Sony, I believe. That would be an easy upgrade to replace the factory amp and speakers. I don't think the base model head units have preamp outputs and they always fade the bass with volume. You're better off replacing it. You'll never get quality sound otherwise. You may lose some functionality, like the steering wheel controls, though. My $.02.

Heard good things about PAC.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Stereo question - 02/08/18 03:41 PM

I'm not sure your head unit would work unless it's out of a late model Ford and that depends on the systems they use. You can add an amp to most vehicles but it would probably need to be able to accept high level inputs so you can tab into the speaker wires. I'm not sure what Ford is doing but I do know the way most manufactures are going when it comes to entertainment systems.

Notice how most dashes now days have the screen and controls are all spread out? The radios are mostly now just a small black box hidden behind the dash that only functions as an AM/FM receiver. The screen, radio buttons, and microphones are wired to a interface module that determines what the driver wants when they pushes either a steering wheel control, faceplate button, touch screen, or speaks a command. Then it can tell the radio to change a station, use navigation module to give directions, make a bluetooth call, use XM to check traffic, and much more. Even the base entertainment packages are not so basic any more. They use they same advanced communications between vehicle modules and are tied into them. Every year they change. With new phones and technology that people want in their vehicles it's a constant evolving thing. A 2018 model might be something all new and it takes aftermarket manufactures money to build something that can work with the vehicles communication systems. That can cost a lot to upgrade out of pocket until it's old technology in a couple years. Might be easier to finance the better package when you buy.

So go test drive a couple and jam out. You might like what they got and if more bass is needed add a bigger powered subwoofer. Most manufactures use outside developers for their speakers. Sony, Pioneer, Bose.... I think you find they sound really good, get loud, and remain clear.

Re: Stereo question - 02/08/18 09:45 PM

My head unit is like 18 months old. It has every option you can imagine. Car toys asked me if I wanted to add more stuff? Car toys is a little proud of their accessories.
The speakers I have now are 6x8 pioneers in the doors. But to keep the honest people honest, I’d like to keep everything hidden so the thieves can’t see it.

I’ve heard the new Ford stereos, they sound great.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Stereo question - 02/10/18 02:44 AM

I took my (old) truck with a decent head unit to Best Buy. '04 K2500HD Told the guy $500 budget, hook it up. I'm going to lunch. Got back in a couple hours and my truck was rocking the whole parking lot. Those kids at Best Buy are fanatics. They know what works and what doesn't, and they enjoy their job!

Re: Stereo question - 02/11/18 12:14 AM

Best Buy is much cheaper than Car Toys for sure.....
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Stereo question - 02/12/18 03:39 AM

I can build you a console like this one for around $2k. With a head unit, a couple amps, and a few sets of speakers...I'll have you sounding good. Total parts and labor around $8k - $10k.

I am not quite as cheap as BeatBuy or CarToys....but I stay busy and never get asked for a refund.

Re: Stereo question - 02/12/18 03:44 AM

This one is in a Chevy
this ones a dodge.

Re: Stereo question - 02/12/18 02:05 PM

Pffft!!! I can build him one for half of that. wink

Re: Stereo question - 02/12/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
Pffft!!! I can build him one for half of that. wink

Looks like my homemade Yamaha cover.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Stereo question - 02/13/18 06:35 PM

There is a company that offers a complete PNP system for Tundras. I like retaining the stock head unit and the fact that it is completely DIY and PNP but with a price of $1300 w/o speakers or $1600 w/speakers I would have a hard time pulling the trigger no matter how good it sounds. On an older truck I would just swap out the head unit add an amp and some speakers for 1/2 that.

Re: Stereo question - 02/14/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
There is a company that offers a complete PNP system for Tundras. I like retaining the stock head unit and the fact that it is completely DIY and PNP but with a price of $1300 w/o speakers or $1600 w/speakers I would have a hard time pulling the trigger no matter how good it sounds. On an older truck I would just swap out the head unit add an amp and some speakers for 1/2 that.

That’s kind of what I’m thinking

Re: Stereo question - 02/15/18 03:53 AM

Taco tunes.

Cheap ID woofers and components with unregulated digital micro sized amps.

There is a reason the stuff is cheap.

But, having been in this business for 32 years, I know most people couldn't hear the difference between $100 speakers and Focals $10,000 beryllium Grand Utopia Be components. Most people are tone def. haha. <<< just kiddin

If you are gonna go on a budget, at least choose Rockford Fosgate stuff. It sounds great, is budget friendly, and doesn't break.

Re: Stereo question - 02/15/18 03:25 PM

I'd argue there is a reason stuff can also be overpriced. Some people can only hear through their wallet.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Stereo question - 02/15/18 06:28 PM

I'd argue there is a reason stuff can also be overpriced. Some people can only hear through their wallet.

this is especially true with HDMI cables. No one can tell the difference between a $5 one and a $40 but Best Buy sells the expensive ones all day long. Some people automatically equate price with quality. A lot of times price just means a larger advertising budget.

Re: Stereo question - 02/15/18 08:08 PM

I agree to an extent. I have seen both. Expensive for no reason, and expensive because it is VERY well made. I have customers that want the most expensive because they have the money. I also have some that want the best money can buy. They very seldom are the same.

Re: Stereo question - 02/15/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

I agree to an extent. I have seen both. Expensive for no reason, and expensive because it is VERY well made. I have customers that want the most expensive because they have the money. I also have some that want the best money can buy. They very seldom are the same.

What you're doing is art. I didn't mean any disrespect if I came off wrong. If you have it, spend it.

Re: Stereo question - 02/16/18 01:00 AM

What you're doing is art. I didn't mean any disrespect if I came off wrong. If you have it, spend it.

nah....I get it.

Thanks for the art comment. My only problems these last few years is trying to be creative. I been doing this gig for 32 years. Thousands of custom cars. Trying to be creative without getting lazy is harder every year. Equipment gets cheaper, my costs of living are soaring. It gets tough to actually be able to afford to spend time on custom work. Customers can't understand why it costs them $2000 and up for a custom console/enclosure for a speaker that, sometimes, cost only a couple hundred bucks. I might have more in materials than equipment. Often actually.

No lack of work though. Haha. I am running about 1-1/2 YEARS behind. Honestly. Crazy. ....and the customers I get don't mind waiting. Right now, in my area of the shop I'm at, I have 11 vehicles I am working on. Some are waiting on parts, some are waiting on vendors to supply one off custom parts, some are just waiting on me to quit posting on the forum or fishing. Lol.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Stereo question - 02/16/18 06:55 PM

nah....I get it.

Thanks for the art comment. My only problems these last few years is trying to be creative. I been doing this gig for 32 years. Thousands of custom cars. Trying to be creative without getting lazy is harder every year. Equipment gets cheaper, my costs of living are soaring. It gets tough to actually be able to afford to spend time on custom work. Customers can't understand why it costs them $2000 and up for a custom console/enclosure for a speaker that, sometimes, cost only a couple hundred bucks. I might have more in materials than equipment. Often actually.

No lack of work though. Haha. I am running about 1-1/2 YEARS behind. Honestly. Crazy. ....and the customers I get don't mind waiting. Right now, in my area of the shop I'm at, I have 11 vehicles I am working on. Some are waiting on parts, some are waiting on vendors to supply one off custom parts, some are just waiting on me to quit posting on the forum or fishing. Lol.

That's awesome work. My current f150 is the first truck I have not done a full system in myself. ( nothing like you do ) My 2011 Ram had all Kenwood Excelon except for the subs, I was running a shallow box under the rear seat, with two alpine 10s. No wires to be seen, could see the edge of the box under the rear seat but same color carpet. The box was a down fire and I liked it better then some of the others I have had.

Your stuff is way out of my league. I just like to tinker.

Re: Stereo question - 02/16/18 07:51 PM

Thanks for the comments. But it ain't out of your league. You just have to take your time and know the tricks.

I'm working in a 65 Cadillac that's gonna be crazy when done. It's of course, got a killer audio system, but in this one I have also suicided the door, built an entire new fiberglass dash, center console, door panels, four 18-way power bucket seats, air ride on 28's (tucking the entire wheel), etc.

It's gonna be in SEMA both for Summit next year. Along with a 70 Chevelle that I just finished. The Chevelle had Mercedes S550 dash gauge "screens" and air vents. ....and of course the 640 big block and late model GTO seats and door panels.

....all the while, I have my Skeeter hitched up waiting on going to the lake asap. Haha.

Re: Stereo question - 02/17/18 04:25 AM

Taco tunes.

Cheap ID woofers and components with unregulated digital micro sized amps.

There is a reason the stuff is cheap.

But, having been in this business for 32 years, I know most people couldn't hear the difference between $100 speakers and Focals $10,000 beryllium Grand Utopia Be components. Most people are tone def. haha. <<< just kiddin

If you are gonna go on a budget, at least choose Rockford Fosgate stuff. It sounds great, is budget friendly, and doesn't break.

I just want the best I can afford.... I would like to get the Pioneer I-Play and go from there. Maybe include a back up camera, so I can see what I am backing up too...
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Stereo question - 02/17/18 01:25 PM

pioneer mechless head units were rated top of the line a few months back for their tuners so your good there, i've always like pioneer anyway. i like my alpine speakers, i'm running both r and x series, i like the components for the front because i think the single coils just sound so much cleaner, as far as subs and amps, i went with jbl subs and a kenwood amp, i wanted 4 ohm subs but my son said 2 ohm, i like 4 ohm for the versatility and i think sounded better with less distortion at wide open throttle, just my 2cents
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum