Texas Fishing Forum

Bowfin Help

Posted By: Canoe-Yak Fisherman

Bowfin Help - 08/22/17 12:03 PM

I have fished since I was able and now 56 yr old. Caught many species of freshwater fish, but never bowfin. I know bowfin are quite common around Texas. I live South of Dallas. Can anyone provide some help on a location within an hour drive or so of Midlothian that offers good potential for catching a bowfin? Would prefer to bank fish, but have canoes and kayak. Still have to do some bowfin on-line research, but assuming I'd use heavy line, steel leader, larger hook, and chunk of fish meat. Any tips appreciated. - D.L.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/22/17 03:26 PM

I am no expert on Bowfin but i`ve caught a few in my 62 yrs of fishing. I`ve caught them mostly by accident while Crappie fishing from the bank at Cedar Creek Reservoir off hwy175.They seemed to be in back water sloughs alot & a state record was caught @ Lake Fork. It went 18lbs.There was a post a while back on this forum about this species of fish if memory serves but I don`t know much about this one. I`m a Crappie guy.Maybe someone else will chime in.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/22/17 04:03 PM

find bodies of water with lots of cypress trees and you'll be in the right place.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/22/17 07:31 PM

Guy in the bass fishing section has a video up with a pretty good one from lake sheldon in Houston.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/23/17 12:01 AM

D.L., Brad Reid writing on this end with good news! We have bowfin all over Lake Athens, especially back in the shallow coves. They surface repeatedly and seem almost oblivious to anyone nearby on a boat dock or in a kayak or canoe. I rarely go out and don't see a dozen or so of them surfacing where they roll across the top of the water. I have had them surface right next to me, more often just in front of me likely because I am stirring up bait fish that attract them.

Have I caught one? Nope. But, my teenaged neigbor, a HS competitive angler, has caught them including some really big ones.

From your place, the easiest way to get down here is to head to I-45 and go south to Exit 231, I think, which his Highway 31, go east and it runs right into Athens. Follow the signs around Loop 7 to the lake. It is about 70 miles or so from Midlothian as I recall. I go that way sometimes to get into Fort Worth.

PM me if you can make a trip down here.

Brad
Posted By: Canoe-Yak Fisherman

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/23/17 01:10 AM

Brad/all - THANKS for the help. Will be going out within the next two weeks to give bowfin a shot.

D.L.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/23/17 04:10 PM

They are definitely 'tackle-busters!'
Posted By: Papa_Buggs

Re: Bowfin Help - 08/25/17 02:47 AM

I have researched places in are area for Bowfin last year and I saw a lot of people talk about Lake Fork having some decent Bowfin and even Ray Hubbard. Not sure how true it is but those are the closest lakes to DFW I heard have the best chances at decent Bowfin.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Bowfin Help - 09/18/17 12:21 PM

They are in Fork for sure I hooked and fought one back in June during a kayak bass tournament. But even more local is Ray Hubbard specifically the East Fork of the Trinity river my buddy caught one up there just last week.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum