Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait

Posted By: jippedgenes

Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/14/17 11:36 AM

I had "cheese its" and honey nut cheerios. smashed them up separately with a little water. neither held together very well and came off the hook pretty fast.

I took a ball point pin and snipped the spring and put it on my hook then tried again to give the bait more traction. the cheerios started to turn rubbery after sitting an hour and I took the spring off and it stayed on the hook well. I caught a bunch of smallish carp all about 3-4 # and one fat buff on the cheerios. a little cat on the cheese its. would have loved a freezer full of crappie fillets but I had a blast anyway. sitting on the couch, sipping a cold beverage with a nice cigar and a fishing pole on the coffee table..............it does not get much better.

Also tried doritos but as soon as they hit the water they came apart and the bluegills went berzerk.

Anyone have any strange recipes for carp bait?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/14/17 12:14 PM

I soak a can of garbanzo beans overnight in a concentrated mixture of strawberry kool aid. They stay on a small hook pretty well.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/14/17 12:21 PM

I caught some using cherry bombs the kinda soft cherry flavored candy balls the outside breaks down quick but the insides gummy and stays on
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/14/17 01:45 PM

sweetcorn.
white bread.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/15/17 02:01 AM

Nice rebound. When on type of fish does not want to play there are others that will! Nice fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/15/17 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Nice rebound. When on type of fish does not want to play there are others that will! Nice fish. Good job. cheers

Plus #1. woot
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/15/17 05:58 PM

Wheaties, really ripe bannanas and a little vanillia extract.. hooked
Posted By: Mo

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/15/17 08:29 PM

simple. canned corn is cheap, open a can , dump some out for bait, chum
the area with most of the can,

sit back a wait,

MO
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/15/17 10:42 PM

Golden Niblets
Wheaties dough bait.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/17/17 11:30 AM

thanks. i used corn as a kid but for some reason never remember it now. need to give it a try again.
Posted By: buffaloman chris

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/20/17 01:54 AM

i have a friend who has used potato chunks on the hook and wore them out. There is a guy on youtube who uses garden peas lol.
https://youtu.be/2tZ7_Uh4NZ4
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Crappie were slow so I looked for some carp bait - 08/23/17 06:20 PM

Can o' corn, if you plan in advance open the can and let it rot in the heat for a couple weeks. That sweet stinky corn will draw them like the flies that are all over it as it rots.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum