Texas Fishing Forum

Gar fishing setup.

Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

Gar fishing setup. - 06/05/17 10:07 PM

So I usually use rope lures for gar, but I want to try bait this time. I have some #6 treble hooks that I've been thinking of using, but I want to try to not let the gar swallow the hook. Any ideas for a setup or how to properly set the hook on a gar (primarily long nose) without letting it swallow the hook?
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Gar fishing setup. - 06/06/17 12:11 AM

Lite wire circle hooks and wait a long time.

Look up a quick strike rig for tandem treble hooks and set that up with those #6 trebles you have. No need for wire with longnose.
Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

Re: Gar fishing setup. - 06/06/17 03:51 AM

Ah, thank you! I try to use wire because these dang turtles keep snapping my line.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Gar fishing setup. - 06/06/17 05:28 PM

When the fishing was slow on the river when I was growing up I would always put on a big topwater and put dead minnows on the treble hooks then oh so slowly reel it in. Would get a longnose to bite on most casts and hookup rate was somewhere around 2/3 times a success. Take a piece of cut bait and put it on 2 or 3 of the barbs of a treble hook and put it under a bobber, keep as much of the bait close to the hook as possible so when they grab it they most likely have one of the barbs. Give it 5-10 seconds of slack line once it goes under and set the hook as hard as you can. Smaller hooks increase hookups but make sure it's strong enough. Will catch some catfish as well.

Eric
Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Re: Gar fishing setup. - 06/06/17 06:56 PM

all i use for big gar is a single 3/0 non stainless hook
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum