Texas Fishing Forum

Gar Bite

Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Gar Bite - 06/04/17 02:47 PM

I'm bitten by an alligator gar...on purpose.
Learning more about my favorite freshwater fish species any way i can, i have been interested in the bite pressure, and the attitude of alligator gar toward non prey species for years.
I went ahead and put my gloved hand into this 3 1/2 foot gars mouth to get an idea of how hard they can bite and with what kind of attitude they would do it with.
She did bite hard, she was not mean though and it took 5 minutes for me to even get my hand into her mouth while she tried to get away.
Even this small gar has enough bite pressure to cause damage, once they get to be over 7 foot they have massive muscles designed to crush their prey species, i would very much like to test the bite pressure of a 7 foot alligator gar some day, but not with my hand.
[img]https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.ne...83e6e746fc22673ce760b1d2&oe=59E1E06C[/img]
Posted By: Blues

Re: Gar Bite - 06/04/17 04:25 PM

Cool!
Watched the video again of you jumping in and untangling that 7 footer from the log jam too..... Do you ever catfish that river or catch any while gar fishing? Looks like some good catfish water
Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Re: Gar Bite - 06/04/17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Cool!
Watched the video again of you jumping in and untangling that 7 footer from the log jam too..... Do you ever catfish that river or catch any while gar fishing? Looks like some good catfish water

there are some huge ones people catch flatheads and blue cats over 30 pounds often enough and i see 50 pound fish caught. i landed 6 over 30 pounds last year fishing cutbait for gar
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Gar Bite - 06/04/17 06:07 PM

Awesome video.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Gar Bite - 06/06/17 03:56 PM

Good stuff. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum