Texas Fishing Forum

The power of corn

Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

The power of corn - 04/10/17 12:53 AM

Fish the blanco last week fish were all caught in a deep hole all on corn the grass carp will.be applied for a waterbody record gotta love fishing on lunch break

The bass and carp all hit as the corn was falling a freeline method was used
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 02:37 AM

Nice fish Clayton! Congratulations on YET another record. Bet that Grasser was one SUPER fight! boxing
Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 03:50 AM

theres something about grasscarp i find very cute cant really explain it
nice catches cheers

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 04:03 AM

Thanks chuck on ultralight it was awesome and sharkbait there a fish all of there own
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 09:55 AM

Wildman, nice fish. I would be careful about submitting the grass carp. They are supposed to be killed after they are caught unless they are caught from a water body that has special permits to have them stocked for water weed control. If you indicate catch and release, you may be opening yourself for possible problems.

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Curt0407
Wildman, nice fish. I would be careful about submitting the grass carp. They are supposed to be killed after they are caught unless they are caught from a water body that has special permits to have them stocked for water weed control. If you indicate catch and release, you may be opening yourself for possible problems.

Fish was not released and all laws were followed. Thanks Curt0407 for the heads up! thumb

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 10:52 AM

Yeah curt all laws were followed he was dead be fore transportation its a heafty ticket if not thanks for looking out bud
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 11:30 AM

looks like a fun trip.
Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 12:14 PM

can you please show me where it says that from TPWD, because it doesn't. TPWD's only info on grass carp on their websight says they can not be harvested or retained if caught in a stocked body of water, and does not elaborate further.
Posted By: cmc

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SharkBaitTV

can you please show me where it says that from TPWD, because it doesn't. TPWD's only info on grass carp on their websight says they can not be harvested or retained if caught in a stocked body of water, and does not elaborate further.

It depends on if the permit is in place for that body of water. I have an email from the Biloligist and game warden in Travis county that says we will NOT require anyone to kill something that we put in the water but we do ask if you do please don't leave them on the back.
Posted By: Freshwater Phil

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 01:30 PM

Nice outing! Congrats on the record.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: The power of corn - 04/10/17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Nice fish Clayton! Congratulations on YET another record. Bet that Grasser was one SUPER fight! boxing

Plus #1.

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 12:19 AM

Quote from tpwd ......it is illegal to Possess or transport any exotic aquatic plant or animal listed as harmful or potentially harmful. This includes: plants such as hydrilla, water hyacinth, and giant salvinia; fishes such as tilapia and Asian carps (grass, silver, and bighead carp); and zebra mussels.
Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect. In those waters, it is illegal to possess grass carp. Any grass carp caught must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. Please see our list of waters with Triploid Grass Carp Permits.

The blanco river does not have a grass carp permit therefore he gone popcorn2
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 12:22 AM

Good job Wildman. I figured that you guys were up on the regs. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that might be checking the thread.

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 01:00 AM

thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 05:49 AM

Awesome! And a great way to spend lunch cheers

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 12:01 PM

Thanks PL
Posted By: Laker One

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 01:22 PM

Nice Grass Carp and congratulations on your record fish. Also also nice bass and Common Carp. Good job. woot

Side Note: How much did the Grass Carp weigh?

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 01:46 PM

Thanks laker those fish have never seen corn my boss doesn't fish in freshwater so they are hardly disturbed

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
Thanks laker those fish have never seen corn my boss doesn't fish in freshwater so they are hardly disturbed

Always great finding fish that have had no past pressure! How much did the Grass Carp Weigh? Again Congrats on your record.

Re: The power of corn - 04/11/17 03:17 PM

9.63lbs 29.5"l 16.75"girth
Posted By: dk2429

Re: The power of corn - 04/12/17 12:08 AM

I would love for one of y'all to give some advice on catching those carp... There are some ponds/creeks around here I bass fish in the evening time if I don't have much to do and see those carp on the shoreline all the time. I've tried dropping corn at them, marshmallows, everything.. Can't even get their interest...

Re: The power of corn - 04/12/17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
I would love for one of y'all to give some advice on catching those carp... There are some ponds/creeks around here I bass fish in the evening time if I don't have much to do and see those carp on the shoreline all the time. I've tried dropping corn at them, marshmallows, everything.. Can't even get their interest...

I had never targeted carp before and have only really started fishing for them this year. The times I have fished for them I usually chum with homemade chum bait,bait a small hook with two to three kernels of corn,keep a light drag,and wait for a run. Sooner or a later one will take the bait. Patients is the name of the game. Also a saying I picked up here on the forum. "Chum and they will come"! thumb

Re: The power of corn - 04/12/17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: dk2429

I had never targeted carp before and have only really started fishing for them this year. The times I have fished for them I usually chum with homemade chum bait,bait a small hook with two to three kernels of corn,keep a light drag,and wait for a run. Sooner or a later one will take the bait. Patients is the name of the game. Also a saying I picked up here on the forum. "Chum and they will come"! thumb

+1 I always chum for them i have only caught one carp that was feeding off the bank on a worm when they are feeding in real shallow water there looking for certain things that I can't offer I belive..

I watched two 10-15#carp feed along the bank of a creek yesterday cated to em for at least 2 hours managed too hook one on a slipfloat rig and worm I was fishing with my ultralight and got broke off on a rock but anyways.. if there in the pond it should be fairly easier but you can chum anywhere chum a few cans of corn and cast your corn hookbait amongst the chumed area and wait even a small carp can pull your rod in so be sure to keep a eye on it stir
Posted By: KikoPH

Re: The power of corn - 05/01/17 04:10 AM

Thought of sharing this topic about using corn as bait. Though i dont think anyone here sees it as prohibited coz I use corn too smile

https://youtu.be/YVWffu1W_Eg

I also believe in the power if corn. I caught sunfish, crappie,carps in corn and accidentally caught largemouth and a small gar with corn while fishing for blue gills smile

Re: The power of corn - 05/02/17 02:08 AM

I have read that whole feed corn is hard for carp to digest I just use whole kernel sweet corn seems like everything will eat corn if there hungry enough and a gar that's awesome

Re: The power of corn - 05/02/17 01:43 PM

I have a couple of flies that resemble a kernel of corn. One is a sinking fly and the other poppers. Catching a five plus pound carp on the fly is my goal! woot
Posted By: Naggler

Re: The power of corn - 05/18/17 05:57 PM

Makes you wonder where that grass carp came from...the ones I have stocked in my private tank are supposedly sterile. Is it common to catch them there?
It still amazes me how keeping it simple can be the most effective way to have a great day on the water. Corn! Worms! Good stuff...thanks for sharing!
Posted By: blooper961

Re: The power of corn - 05/18/17 09:43 PM

I have always caught catfish and trout on corn.
Just put it on the bottom and wait.

Re: The power of corn - 05/19/17 04:29 PM

The only wey i think it made it up that far is someones tank flooded or it come up from the san marcos but idk thats a really far treck and thats the first one i have ever seen in the blanco
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: The power of corn - 05/24/17 07:22 PM

You da man Clayton thumb

Re: The power of corn - 08/08/17 02:53 AM

I wanna make it up to sommerville and try em there
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum