Texas Fishing Forum

Gar!!!!!!!

Posted By: Garguy93

Gar!!!!!!! - 03/29/17 11:16 PM

Hey ya'll. I've been looking for a great spot down here near the San Antonio/Seguin area where there is some really good gar fishing. I was living up in Tennessee for a couple years and I had a spot or two where I could get some gar everyday, all day. I was wondering if there are any spots like that down here. I have a kayak, I fish with spinning rod/reel and I also fly fish. If ya'll have any input that would be awesome.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/29/17 11:45 PM

I'd goto espada missions a put in there and make my way down the river should be slow enough paddle back up I've seen a lot of long nose this past week coming back up river the lake mckweeny dam is a probable spot also guadalupe river state park has a lot of longnose gar also
Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/30/17 02:16 AM

choke canyon is your best bet most likely, its a difficult lake to fish for gar imo though and somewhat dangerous as well.
Posted By: catcrap

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/30/17 01:31 PM

if you feel like a drive they're always stacked up in the san gabriel where it comes out of granger spillway. all of us around here would be A-ok with you coming and wiping some out haha
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/30/17 06:44 PM

I have caught some really good size gar out of the SA river south of SA.

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/31/17 07:42 PM

Where would be a good spot to put in at the espada missions?

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/31/17 07:43 PM

And I have heard that there are some decent sized gators in choke canyon...... how wise would it be to kayak it?
Posted By: SharkBaitTV

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 03/31/17 09:10 PM

had a 12 footer come up 2 feet from where i was washing my hands after cutting baits on choke. there are allot of them for sure. also when the wind blows over 25mph or more there are some pretty serious swells.

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 04/01/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Garguy93
Where would be a good spot to put in at the espada missions?

Rite below the spillway Its smooth water you could easly walk down too with kayak in tow

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 04/01/17 02:54 AM

You would need to go to the actual mission on camino couhilatec rd and put in and go down past the mission to where it turns I guess u could say wild google earth comes in handy there's some deep holes an current breaks that would be worth fishing I've been to a few but I can only wade for so long before I scare myself but definatly wort tryn with a kayak heck no one else does

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 04/01/17 07:07 PM

Awesome. I Google Earthed it and know exactly what you're talking about. I appreciate it.

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 04/01/17 09:39 PM

No problem keep us posted there are nice flathead down there also

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 04/01/17 10:32 PM

Will do, I'll even throw a tight line out there just to see if I get one.

Re: Gar!!!!!!! - 04/02/17 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Garguy93
Will do, I'll even throw a tight line out there just to see if I get one.

Goodthinking lotta carp and sunfish down there so bait should be no problem
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum