Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here?

Posted By: Flying Fox

Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/25/16 02:51 AM

I am wondering if anybody catch carp and gar on a fly rod here.
I would like to ask for some advise. Love to catch carp but not sure what fly to use. Hooked few by accident.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/25/16 02:45 PM

Dark colored wooly buggers are hard to beat for carp.

I've hooked a few and landed just one small spotted gar on a light colored clouser minnow.
Posted By: dmunsie

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/25/16 03:48 PM

Chum with white bread floating on top. White bread fly...hold on. wink I've seen anglers use cotton balls, white fabric, etc, etc. Lots of realistic bread flies being sold. As for gar, the standard white frayed nylon rope on a hook works perfectly when fly fishing as well. Sight fish, cast near them and they will hit it. Their teeth get tangled in the rope. Works on spotted and longnose gar.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/25/16 04:46 PM

+ 1 on dark colored woolly buggers and bread flies. Corn flies are common as well. I have also tied an algae / vegetation looking top water fly when they are feeding on duck week on the surface.

+1 on the light colored clousers and rope flies for gar as well. Flies with a Colorado blade or other flash work well too. I've caught several on clousers. The main thing I learned with gar is to keep a steady rate of retrieve.
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/28/16 06:44 PM

Rubber legged nymphs for carp. Dark colors for clear water and bright colors for murky.

Any minnow imitation for gar, but when tying place two long shank size 4 hooks back to back and tie together. You'll get more hook ups that way for spotted and longnose
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/29/16 03:18 PM

Never caught a carp on the fly before but looking forward to it. That will be one heck of a fight!
Posted By: Flying Fox

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/30/16 01:29 AM

Thank you guys for the info.
I was reading the book from orvis and the best carp fly as well
Got lot of ideas.
however, I still cant figure out why they eat woolly bugger? haha
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/30/16 12:03 PM

Caught several when fishing for white bass
Posted By: BoPro

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/30/16 05:35 PM

I've only caught one carp on a fly, but I wasn't specifically targeting carp at the time. Strangely, it sucked in a white deceiver. Check with Texasflycaster in the Fly Fishing section. I believe he even guides for carp on a fly.
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 12/31/16 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Flying Fox

however, I still cant figure out why they eat woolly bugger? haha

Carp are omnivorous. They mostly eat water nymphs, crawfish, snails, shellfish, small fish as well as seeds and some plant material. When you see them rooting around in grass and plants they are looking for nymphs/crustaceans.
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 01/03/17 04:22 AM

I have caught them Tenkara fishing. Amazing fight on a fixed line system. Makes you really work for the catch!
Posted By: duckhuntr35

Re: Anybody use fly rod catch carp and gar here? - 01/09/17 08:25 PM

Carp Crack for carp on fly ,brown,black or orange You can order that fly online
Alligator gar over 100 lbs with a large 2 hook streamers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum