Texas Fishing Forum

What did I catch?

Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

What did I catch? - 11/06/16 01:07 AM

Went fly fishing on the Red River below Denison Dam and caught something I can't identify. It was caught on a clouser minnow fished just under the surface and he came up and smacked it, coming partway out of the water in the process. It didn't make any long runs, just kind of stayed in place in the current and it was like fighting dead weight. My first thought was it was a carp since it had the carp-like mouth, but it seems a bit too dark, and plus, it didn't have any barbels. From looking at the old Fishing Texas book by Russell Tinsley (an amazing book that is out of print but can be found at Half Price Books fairly often) it appears it may be a black buffalo. Google confirms that it is definitely a possibility that that is the ID, but I figured I would go to the experts. If another angle is needed, I may be able to grab another still from the video, which will be posted online later tonight or tomorrow. The fish weighed in at 6 pounds, 1 ounce. Thanks.

Posted By: Laker One

Re: What did I catch? - 11/06/16 01:16 PM

Just guessing I would say Carp.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: What did I catch? - 11/06/16 01:27 PM

Smallmouth buffalo.

Re: What did I catch? - 11/06/16 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Curt0407
Smallmouth buffalo.

Thanks. So I can help learn some tricks to ID them, what makes you say smallmouth buffalo vs black buffalo?

Re: What did I catch? - 11/06/16 03:27 PM

Black buffalo are uncommon in this area. Here is a description of black buffalo.

The black buffalo is black on the back, dark green or bronze on the sides, and dull yellow or off-white below. It has a heavy, rounded body, long dorsal fin, conical head, and blunt snout. It has a small, ventral mouth with thicker lips than the similar bigmouth buffalo (Ictiobus cyprinellus), and a slightly more slender body than the smallmouth buffalo (I. bubalus) (Hatch et al. in preparation). While the average total length of the black buffalo is 503 mm (19 in.)

Re: What did I catch? - 11/06/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Curt0407
Black buffalo are uncommon in this area. Here is a description of black buffalo.

The black buffalo is black on the back, dark green or bronze on the sides, and dull yellow or off-white below. It has a heavy, rounded body, long dorsal fin, conical head, and blunt snout. It has a small, ventral mouth with thicker lips than the similar bigmouth buffalo (Ictiobus cyprinellus), and a slightly more slender body than the smallmouth buffalo (I. bubalus) (Hatch et al. in preparation). While the average total length of the black buffalo is 503 mm (19 in.)

Sounds good. I read black buffalo were more common in eastern Texas, but I wasn't sure exactly sure how far east that meant. The reason I was thinking black buffalo was because almost all the pictures I saw of smallmouth had them with a much paler coloration, as well as being more humpbacked (if that makes sense). Since this guy was more slender I thought it may be a black.

Here is the video

Re: What did I catch? - 11/06/16 03:51 PM

Here is a picture of a smallmouth buffalo caught in fairly clear water. In my experience those caught in clear water tend to be a little darker than usual.

Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 01:11 AM

I can't tell from the video, but was it fair hooked?

I've foul hooked one of those on clousers the last two times I've been up there -- both times right near the mouth like they missed the fly, or pulled off at the last second. But, given their normal feeding habits (grubbing on the bottom), that would be strange.

On the other hand, you saw it come up and hit so clearly they do. Maybe the Denison buffalo have started eating shad.
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 01:19 AM

I mouth hooked one about 30-40 lbs on lake Palestine one time fishing a chartreuse 4inch shad jig in deep water. Hit just like a bass. Thought I had a monster hybrid....lol.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 03:01 AM

Learning something new. Love these type of threads.

Side Note: Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 04:52 AM

But it's a damn ugly fish lol.

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Glitchmo

I've foul hooked one of those on clousers the last two times I've been up there -- both times right near the mouth like they missed the fly, or pulled off at the last second. But, given their normal feeding habits (grubbing on the bottom), that would be strange.

On the other hand, you saw it come up and hit so clearly they do. Maybe the Denison buffalo have started eating shad.

Yep, he was mouth hooked. There are tons of shad in the river, including lots in the 10-12 inch range, so maybe buffalo are eating them.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 12:36 PM

Bet the fight was awesome on your fly rod. Good job landing it!

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Bet the fight was awesome on your fly rod. Good job landing it!

Thanks. I was lucky I was using my heavy rod, an 8 wt with 0x tippet. Fighting him was like fighting a desd weight. He didn't really make any runs but it took some serious pressure to move him. Not sure he would have been landed if I was using too much lighter gear.
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: What did I catch? - 11/07/16 05:03 PM

... Buffalo eat alot of shad like game fish , that is their main diet in most lakes .that is why you will get bit using bass lures etc . buffs will take shad quicker than carp will

Re: What did I catch? - 11/08/16 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse

... Buffalo eat alot of shad like game fish , that is their main diet in most lakes .that is why you will get bit using bass lures etc . buffs will take shad quicker than carp will

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. There are plenty of shad in the Red River so the buffalo should not go hungry. I am not sure if they were buffalo, carp or a mixture of both, but as I was wading out among the rocks I was constantly spooking fish, which didn't bother me too much since I was fishing for stripers and didn't think I had anything in my bag they would eat. If I would have known they might take a streamer I would have been more stealthy.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: What did I catch? - 11/09/16 08:14 PM

I agree about buffalo hitting your lure. I had a huge buffalo eat my crappie jig last winter. Sucker fought super hard and was probably upwards of 20lbs and some how with my drag set good I eventually landed it with my net and as soon as it went in my net it broke my 6lb mono lol. By far the biggest fish I had ever caught.
Posted By: hocdrummer

Re: What did I catch? - 11/09/16 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman13
I agree about buffalo hitting your lure. I had a huge buffalo eat my crappie jig last winter. Sucker fought super hard and was probably upwards of 20lbs and some how with my drag set good I eventually landed it with my net and as soon as it went in my net it broke my 6lb mono lol. By far the biggest fish I had ever caught.

Exact thing just happened to me two weeks ago. 6lb test 5.5 foot BM sharpshooter rod. Epic fight.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: What did I catch? - 11/17/16 01:46 AM

I believe that is a bigmouth buffalo.
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: What did I catch? - 12/12/16 07:34 PM

great fish ill try to find a post that determines black buffalo to smb and bigmouth
Posted By: Mike Doran

Re: What did I catch? - 12/12/16 09:12 PM

Looks like small mouth to me
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: What did I catch? - 12/13/16 02:22 AM

I don't know if it is a small, big or black but it is certainly a buffalo. When I was a kid you could buy them at the fish market. They taste very good but they have alot of small bones and it takes some work to eat one without getting a bone down your throat. I don't think I could eat one know having seen a whole fish in person. YUK!
Posted By: fray

Re: What did I catch? - 12/15/16 02:27 PM

Nice
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: What did I catch? - 01/03/17 02:58 AM

Buff

Re: What did I catch? - 01/10/17 04:04 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Went fishing below the dam right after Christmas and my brother caught one on a white chatterbait that weighed a bit over 4.5 pounds. Definitely a fun fish to catch that puts a good bend in the rod.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum