Texas Fishing Forum

Some other bottom feeders

Posted By: Freshwater Phil

Some other bottom feeders - 10/27/16 06:13 PM

End of October usually has water temp somewhere below the 50 degree mark up here. Carp fishing tends to slow down, and as the sturgeon season closes in a few days up here (Oct 31st), took advantage of a friends' invite to chase some lake sturgeons with my kids. Aged 10 and 14, they had never caught any before. Outer temp was just above freezing, we're already wearing ice fishing gear, snowsuits and all.

My 14 year old managed to battle the muscular giants, after I showed him the proper technique.

My 10 year old need lots of help with the couple big ones he got a crack at.

I hooked this one, then it was a tag team effort starting with my 10 year old, then passed the rod over to his older brother.

Finally, my 10 year old managed to land a smaller one on his own.

Few other bottom feeding species share wintering holes with sturgeon this time of year.

I caught my first freshwater drum in over 10 years.

My son landed his first redhorse sucker, and a decent channel cat as well.

That about does it for their season until first ice. I hope to get a couple more carping session, as well as another crack at some late season musky and walleye before then.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/27/16 07:55 PM

Well done. Nice variety there. What do the sturgeon like to eat?

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/27/16 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Curt0407
Well done. Nice variety there. What do the sturgeon like to eat?

We usually catch the on big worms, 2-3 per hook. All fish in the pics were caught on same. I've caught them on dead minnows before as well, and occasionally people get then on chicken hearts. Worms are best by far though, at least for the lake sturgeon in this part of the country.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/28/16 12:54 AM

You called them 'lake' sturgeon. Are they just passing through on their way from the ocean, or do they spend their entire lives in freshwater?

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/28/16 02:44 AM

Freshwater only. Lake sturgeon are referred to as "yellow sturgeon" in French. The ones further east that are in salty or brackish water are Atlantic sturgeon, known in French as "Black sturgeon", as they are darker. They tolerate both salt and freshwater. Also grow a lot bigger, up to 400-500 lbs, as opposed to these that don't normally exceed 100 lbs (though 200 lbs have been reported).
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/28/16 04:38 PM

Well I did not know that. I learned something new. Thank you!

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/28/16 07:30 PM

White sturgeon out West in British Columbia are the biggest, can grow over 1000 lbs. On my bucket list, one day...
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/29/16 12:32 AM

coolphotos Good times and nice fish! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/29/16 02:06 PM

Awesome post.
Posted By: ZzzKing

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/29/16 05:29 PM

What part of Texas were you fishing? smile

Nice fish! Looks like loads of fun.

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/29/16 06:28 PM

He is fishing the Canada part of Texas. They have some good fishing in the north lands. It just gets cold too soon for me.

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/30/16 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: ZzzKing
What part of Texas were you fishing? smile

Nice fish! Looks like loads of fun.

St Lawrence River near Montreal, Canada. I do fish Texas once in a while when visiting family, lived there for a bit in the previous century.

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 10/30/16 12:51 AM

He is fishing the Canada part of Texas. They have some good fishing in the north lands. It just gets cold too soon for me.

Yeah, already making my ice fishing plans. Guessing we should have safe ice in about 6 weeks or so.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/03/16 12:16 PM

Amazing trip and catches, Phil! Well done!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/04/16 06:34 PM

man
all that in 1 trip
incredible

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/10/16 01:58 PM

Water is down to the mid/upper 40's, and dropping quickly with another cold front. After blanking for carp at my cold water spot a couple days ago dur to very low water level, looks like I'm (probably) done with bottom feeder species for the rest of the season. Time to chase some predators, probably about 2-4 weeks left to our open water season before first ice.

Yesterday worked out well, caught some cold water multi species, casting, jigging and trolling.

Some decent sized walleyes (about a dozen):

Mixed in with some smallmouth bass in the 2-4 lbs range:

And a couple small muskies to end the day"

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/10/16 03:06 PM

Very nice. Will the walleye be invited for dinner?

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/10/16 06:43 PM

Very nice. Will the walleye be invited for dinner?

My buddy kept some, I try to avoid eating anything from the St Lawrence river, prefer to get my keepers up North, in pristine forest lakes with no industry or population to dump all kinds of [censored] in water. They also taste better up there, deep lakes with rock bottoms, as opposed to muddy weed covered flats we fish around here (Montreal).
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/18/16 03:25 AM

Awesome sturgeon big old gaspagoo I'd could use him as bait the red horse is giant at least to me I've seen them in the rivers down here by me but never over 6-8" the Chanel cat is really nice great job guys good show
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 11/18/16 03:28 AM

Didn't see the walleye smallmouth or muskies till now y'all got yourselfs a grade a slam
Posted By: SOCALCARPER

Re: Some other bottom feeders - 12/12/16 07:36 PM

great trip you have a couple eaters
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum