Texas Fishing Forum

Carp and Buff question

Posted By: Jay_Walk

Carp and Buff question - 07/16/16 04:17 AM

This is my first post, hope it goes over well enough!
My daughters and I started carp fishing right at a year ago, and I've noticed something odd...
We fish 'Buffalo Alley' at Ray Hubbard nearly every weekend and I've noticed it seems like we either catch tons of Commons and maybe a Buff or two, or we catch no Commons and a ton of Buffs...
I've looked through the past threads for a few days now to make sure I'm not asking something that's already been ansewered... Just seems odd to me we always get one or the other, NEVER have we gotten a mix of both. Thanks for any insight you guys might have on the matter!

Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/16/16 02:52 PM

When I fished Lake Worth in the past, I noticed that I would have either buffalo days or carp days. This was fishing the same place all the time. Rarely did I get a fairly evenly mixed day. When there used to be more reports from Lake Fork, it seems that there was a "pecking" order to the fish catching. First the catfish would come in, then the carp, and then the buffalo.

Nice pics and welcome to the Forum.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/16/16 11:17 PM

Nice fish and welcome to the forum!! If you don't mind me asking, where is buffalo alley? My daughter and I have been targeting these same fish.

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/17/16 01:47 AM

Buffalo Alley is at John Paul Jones Park off of Bass Pro Dr on Ray Hubbard... The long stretch of retaining wall by the boat ramp is what we call Buffalo Alley... Perfect for kids, not to snaggy right there, public bathroom, and the carp and Buffs can be caught in good numbers only 20 to 30 yards out.

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/17/16 01:49 AM

Also, my 8 year old has caught 3 Buffs over 30lbs and 1 just over 40 there since 2016 started...
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/18/16 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Jay_Walk
Also, my 8 year old has caught 3 Buffs over 30lbs and 1 just over 40 there since 2016 started...

That's awesome! My daughter caught her best common at 20 lbs last weekend and her top buff is only 8 lbs. Taking her deep sea fishing next weekend for her first time. We're both excited.
Posted By: greentumater

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/19/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Jay_Walk
Man that's really nice size for the area and great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/20/16 11:57 AM

wtg go . have you had any grassers yet from the spot on the second picture ? they can get big and give you a good fight . i have been thinking of going there soon . i miss that spot cheers ps back in april a friend from Utah came for a week , we fish side bye side and all he caught was buffs and all i caught were carp (three days straight)
. that was strange. i was trying to get him on his first Tx carp but failed mad . he was ok with since he had never caught a buff before .

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/21/16 04:53 AM

All our grassers to date have been at Purtis Creek... My 16 year old pulled in this Common tonight...

Then struck gold with her PB on Flathead...

Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Carp and Buff question - 07/22/16 08:20 PM

Awesome catches!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum