Texas Fishing Forum

Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY

Posted By: bkkguy

Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 12:33 AM

The family Notopteridae contains ten species of osteoglossiform (bony-tongued) fishes, commonly known as featherbacks and knifefishes. These fishes live in freshwater or brackish environments in Africa, and South and Southeast Asia.

With the denotation of "knifefish", the Notopterids should not be confused with Gymnotiforms, the electric knifefishes from South and Central America. Although their manner of swimming is similar and they are superficially similar in appearance.

Featherbacks have slender, elongated, bodies, giving them a knife-like appearance. The caudal fin is small and fused with the anal fin, which runs most of the length of the body. Where present, the dorsal fin is small and narrow, giving rise to the common name of "featherback". The fish swims by holding its body rigid and rippling the anal fin to propel itself forward or backwards.

I have the opportunity to fish this wonderful fish during their season period with my wife.
They are strong fighter. Whenever they got hookup, they did aerobatic jump out of the water.
The jump sights was awesome to watch !!!

Enjoys my youtube video and photos..

Photos highlight for the trip.

Selfie with my wife (bkklady)

[Linked Image]

Myself with the catch of the day.- 6KG

[Linked Image]

My wife with her featherback fish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 12:39 AM

Beautiful scenery at the dam.

More catches...

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 12:45 AM

Double hooked ups !!!

My wife tried her hand on handling the boat...

Awesome trip !!! Great fishing.

Thanks for reading my catch report...

For other fishing adventure trips, you can watch my other youtube video clips below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcuMtil7rLPEHiLVmlA99dQ

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 01:21 AM

coolphotos Yet another AWESOME post! Good job! cheers

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
coolphotos Yet another AWESOME post! Good job! cheers

Thanks mate !!! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 01:46 PM

Love your post. Keep them coming!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 02:52 PM

Thanks you for sharing your fishing experiences!! Love seeing all the new species of fish you are introducing to the forum!! Great job!!
Posted By: cmc

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 07:49 PM

Those are such awesome fish. Florida is starting to get a large population of them.
Posted By: Stephen Clark

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/07/16 07:57 PM

Awesome post and love the fantastic video + photos, been enjoying your catch reports for years and hope you keep them coming.

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/08/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Love your post. Keep them coming!

Will do !!! Thanks for reading. cheers

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/08/16 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: JJ4MEL
Thanks you for sharing your fishing experiences!! Love seeing all the new species of fish you are introducing to the forum!! Great job!!

You most welcome. !!! cheers

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/08/16 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Those are such awesome fish. Florida is starting to get a large population of them.

cheers cheers

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/08/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephen Clark
Awesome post and love the fantastic video + photos, been enjoying your catch reports for years and hope you keep them coming.

Thanks !!! Will keep my catch reports coming this way... cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/09/16 02:53 AM

coolphotos Totally Awesome!
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/09/16 02:27 PM

HOLY SMOKES! I had one of those in my aquarium it was like 4" long. i had no idea they got that BIG!

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/10/16 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
coolphotos Totally Awesome!

banana banana cheers cheers

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/10/16 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
HOLY SMOKES! I had one of those in my aquarium it was like 4" long. i had no idea they got that BIG!

They do grow really big in the wild. thumb
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Featherbacks( Knifefishes)- Wild Fishing Thailand- BKKGUY - 07/22/16 12:49 PM

So cool!

I used to sell those in the pet shop I worked at when going to A&M in the seventies. Never knew they got so big. Sure makes me get ideas.....

First of which, I can't help thinking when I look at those pics, "That fish probly tastes pretty good...." Especially in Thailand, a place I visited when a child but remember a lot of what I ate. Is the fish good table fare?

And, as a biologist and a businessman, I gotta wonder about the biology of the species and its potential for development here in Texas. I notice it is not on the Harmful or Potentially Harmful Exotic Species (black) List for Texas so it is open to possibilities. Surely tropical, but how old are those fish? If it spawns easy and grows fast, I can keep 'em warm in winter. Already got Peacock Bass, Redtail catfish, Tiger shovelnose, etc. at the farm and looking for others.

Always enjoy your posts thoroughly, keep 'em coming.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum