Texas Fishing Forum

Best hooks for longnose gar?

Posted By: Max_S

Best hooks for longnose gar? - 03/27/16 03:45 PM

As a rule, I probably miss a dozen longnose gar on good runs for every one that I successfully hook, and I'm wondering if there is a size/style of hook that I should be using to increase my odds. I've tried small (6 or 8) treble hooks, as well as bait-holder and circle hooks in the 2-4 range, but in spite of giving the fish plenty of time to run, stop, and then run again, most of my hook sets fail.

What hooks have longnose gar fishers here had the most luck with? (I've tried the nylon rope trick, I never seem to have luck getting them to hit a nylon rope lure, nor a minnow/piece of cut bait buried within a nylon tangle, so I've been sticking to hooks).

Thanks for any advice!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 03/28/16 03:49 AM

i'v had the best luck using 4\0 worm hooks like for bass fishing with a piece of cut perch thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 03/29/16 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: gar1970
i'v had the best luck using 4\0 worm hooks like for bass fishing with a piece of cut perch thumb

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 03/29/16 03:49 PM

We have hooked/reeled in WAY MORE than I ever wanted to mess with, while catfishing with shad and circle hooks. The circle hooks "cam" right into the soft corner of their mouth. thumb

EDIT:
Originally Posted By: Max_S
I've tried small circle hooks in the 2-4 range, but in spite of giving the fish plenty of time to run, stop, and then run again, most of my hook sets fail.

BIG circle hooks, 7/0-9/0, and you don't really "set the hook" when using circle hooks. You just start reeling the line in (at a moderate pace) and the circle hook digs in on its own.
Posted By: sacklunch

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 03/30/16 08:01 PM

I've had good success tying a single worm hook to my line, and "threading" a treble hook onto the worm hook. I figure I've caught more than I've lost using this method.
Posted By: Max_S

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 03/31/16 02:58 PM

Quote:
BIG circle hooks, 7/0-9/0

Are you talking about longnose or alligator gar? Seems like 9/0 is overkill for the narrow, needle jaw of a longnose.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 04/01/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Max_S
Quote:
BIG circle hooks, 7/0-9/0

Are you talking about longnose or alligator gar? Seems like 9/0 is overkill for the narrow, needle jaw of a longnose.

We weren't "trying" to catch gar. We were after big catfish, but those 7/0-9/0 circle hooks were wearing out the gar also!!! I had only "hooked" 1-2 gar (successfully) before switching to circle hooks.
Posted By: MercuryJump

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 05/05/16 06:08 AM

I catch plenty more than I want with 7/0 circle hooks with shad. Every now and then I find a smart gar that keeps stealing my bait. For those I cut a 2 inch strip off of my wash cloth I use to wipe my hands on all the way down one side. You will have a strip 2"x12" approximately. Bait your hook normally, then fold the strip of cloth just enough to have a double layer to run the hook through. let the rest 8-10 inches just flow freely. Their teeth will stick in it like Velcro, and they usually death roll until they are good and tangled. I had to do one like that last Friday. Took my bait half a dozen times before I was fed up. After you catch them they will leave your bait alone.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Best hooks for longnose gar? - 05/12/16 12:00 PM

My son and I have had a lot of luck attaching 3-4 inches of frayed 1/4 diameter nylon rope to the lure or hook with bait , the long nose gar teeth get tangled in the rope and the fight is on, I have never tried it on alligator gar though . What we are doing is just a variation of the rope lure . They seem to like white or red .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum