Texas Fishing Forum

Tilapia on Fairfield

Posted By: Hallt

Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/27/16 01:19 AM

Does anyone know if they are catching tilapia on Fairfield with cast nets yet? Or did I miss the opportunity?
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/27/16 02:00 AM

Not catching Tilapia with a cast net on Fairfield, would be similar to mission impossible.

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/27/16 02:02 AM

They catch them around the cat tails when they are spawning. Or at the hot water discharge.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/27/16 10:57 AM

Tilapia spawn when the water hits the right temperature and spawn until it drops below that so in Fairfield about 8 months out of the year. They gather up in the hot water discharge in the winter, but I don't' really like the taste in the colder months. They bury up in the mud and have a similar taste. They spawn at the river inlet, up by the dam in the cove where the plant overflow dumps in, and by the rock dam south of the plant. That is just 3 areas and can also be found in ski cove and back South of the boat ramp. In other words nearly anywhere.You will tear a few nets up learning the process but they are there and easily caught. Go out some weekend and watch the show as folks are there catching them by the boat loads. I think the most I've caught in one throw was 25, somewhat rare but 7 to 10 is common.

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/27/16 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I will try those places and see what happens

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/28/16 09:14 PM

If anyone cares, I just spoke to the people at the gate at Fairfield Lake and yes they are catching tilapia right now. It's on come Wednesday.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/28/16 09:20 PM

If you have side scan on your boat their spawning areas are extremely easy to find. They look like someone dropped a hundred tires down the bank. But like Jackie said, it's a no brainer.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tilapia on Fairfield - 03/28/16 11:37 PM

They catch em year around on the power plant lakes in San Antonio with the nets! Do not know about Fairfield. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum