Texas Fishing Forum

Tilapia baits

Posted By: etu

Tilapia baits - 03/15/16 03:20 AM

I know they eat worms. What other baits would Tilapia go for? I think I saw them feed on top but not sure what they were feeding on. Any help appreciated.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/15/16 03:48 AM

I have heard they feed on small flies and other small insects. I have caught a lot of Tilapia over the years and most of them have been caught on live worms. (Night Crawlers). I have also caught Tilapia on Big Marv's Cheese Bait, baited on a small treble hook. Other baits that I have heard about Tilapia being caught on were pees,corn,and bits of celery stalks. hmmm
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/15/16 05:16 PM

etu,

Head down to Squaw Creek one day, take along the worms and really some terminal tackle rigging similar to what you'd use for panfishing. What seems to work is a drop shot set-up, or a bobber/weight/hook affair . . . using a small hook for their relatively small mouths.

They are really getting large down there. A friend caught 2 on a fishing trip with a guide this past fall in the 3 to 4 pound range. I have caught a couple in that range, nearing 3 lbs., bank fishing.

During the summer, they congregate way back up in the feeder creeks also in the coves. Some interesting videos on YouTube showing some huge number catches.

There are fish cleaning stations near the boat ramp so a guy could literally fill an ice cooler full of cleaned fish on a good day.

There is a no-throw-back policy on the lake: either take them to eat or leave them on the bank. That tells you how prolific they are.

Brad
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/15/16 06:44 PM

Anyone know of a place near Denton with them? I'd like to transfer a few to my pond. My local fish truck doesn't sell them.
Posted By: etu

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/16/16 12:06 AM

Thanks Brad and as always banker. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/16/16 04:04 PM

I heard they bite a cast net pretty well Ed blush
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/17/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Richardson
I heard they bite a cast net pretty well Ed blush

Plus #1. Can't go wrong there! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/17/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
I have heard they feed on small flies and other small insects. I have caught a lot of Tilapia over the years and most of them have been caught on live worms. (Night Crawlers). I have also caught Tilapia on Big Marv's Cheese Bait, baited on a small treble hook. Other baits that I have heard about Tilapia being caught on were pees,corn,and bits of celery stalks. hmmm

Plus #1 on the live worms! He has caught his fair share of them using em.
Posted By: fiSherwood

Re: Tilapia baits - 03/18/16 01:15 PM

I've also heard they will bite bread balls... planning to try this on Saturday...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum